Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

www.importmotor.com - vwlocomotor - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: vwlocomotor
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: May 11, 2013
Joel R Cintron
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: www.importmotor.com - vwlocomotor - [email protected] Reply with quote

I was checking this site and the stuff they have is very affordable, so i came here to ask about this supplier. How good is www.importmotor.com and who had deal with them before.

Moderator notes:
It has been reported by a few people that JCS builds their engines.
There is some JCS feedback here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237270
flat4fantasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.

And I am interested too...Anyone have any experience with them.

For the poster, Joel, I will say it seems like the cranks they are use are not CW'd (r they balanced? I don't remember if they said they were) and they don't use solid rocker arms and the cams appear to be regrinds.

So please, anyone with ANY experience please let us know.

Peace,
Dave
noodles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
noncommitaljohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 2007 cc longblock from them. they seem to be a pretty good company from my point of view. The only problem that I had was some rocker arm sideplay issues. It wasn't bad, It was one arm and the sideplay was about .015, after some rearranging the shims, all was fine.

And for the other posts, My motor has a c/w crank and solid rocker arm shafts and 1.25 ratio rockers, and teflon wristpin buttons, forged pistons, and 40X35.5 heads.
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to bring this thread back to life in hopes that more people might chime in. I am contemplating one of their stroker longblocks for my Baja project and would like some input before I lay cash down.

SHMO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 1915 longblock from them without any problems.
73BuzzBomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82249

this thread is about importmotor
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to www.914club.com and do a search in their BBS.... That should answer the questions!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1964VW
Samba Member

Location: I live where people chew dip,just past the sticks...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my last motor from them and it's good to go.
No problems so far after reaching 300 miles,I'll be giving updates from time to time on the motor-but so far so good!

JCS of Califorina builds their motors-
Muffler Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm i was looking at the masecator motor and they list heads as.

CYLINDER HEADS: '044' Big-Valve Dual port 42 x 37 Remanufactured & Improved over NEW.

isnt the 044 a CB Performance only head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
go to www.914club.com and do a search in their BBS.... That should answer the questions!

I signed up at 914club so i could access the search feature of their forum, and im not getting anything about importmotor.com there?
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt have any luck finding info on that site either. I still have not heard enough good, or bad about importmotor to make a descision. Most of the things being said so far are not worth considering. I realize that $2,000 would not buy a new set of performace heads, new case, trick crank, bla bla bla. But, are they really needed for a mild motor? I don't intend to buy the "worlds fastest 2332" and rev it to 9500RPM every time I shift a gear. My question is about the assembly procedures and reputation of importmotor. I want to know if they cut too many corners and build better grenades than they do engines. Do they build a decently reliable motor for us cheapskates that just want to have some fun, one that will last a few years?

SHMO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 1776 with GOOD heads will spank all over a 2332 with crappy heads.

You do not get GOOD heads from a mass engine builder.

If you add up the price of good parts, you'll find you are getting shortchanged somewhere (or EVERYWHERE) by purchasing the "rebuild performance engine" in almost every case. Displacement sells engines, and that's what sucks people in on the magazine ads.

Caveat Emptor.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mwvwca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Intrigued Reply with quote

[quote="[email protected]"]a 1776 with GOOD heads will spank all over a 2332 with crappy heads.

John,
I really like the concept of as you say, "spanking" anything or anyone with a 1776. This was the original displacement I was considering, but over and over again in the mags and on the street I am seeing "large displacement" becoming the standard. So what does a "spanking" 1776 look like? I don't have the money to do a turnkey or much else, so it's piece by piece for me.. where to start?

I love the Tech Articles on your site and have really enjoyed learning from others experience.

Thanks!
Michael

61 Ghia Vert
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Intrigued Reply with quote

The normal timeline for someone building a "powerful" street engine is that they build the biggest engine they can, and by the time they get to the heads their $ is mostly used up, so they throw on whatever they happen to be able to afford by that point in time to "just get it done". Naturally they are disappointed when their huge engine is like a tractor motor, running out of breath quickly because the heads suck; it's even worse if they have a huge cam because they have no power at low RPMs because the cam is out of the powerband, and when the cam comes on the heads are already maxed out!

I suggest you budget for a 1776 or 1914cc engine, and get the best heads you can afford. Do not hesitate to spend 1/3 your engine budget on the heads alone. If you have $500 left over, then get the stroker crank and rods to match, and case clearancing, and you have a good big engine. But do not make the mistake of building/buying a big engine with a weak set of heads, you'll be seriously disappointed.

Most guys have no clue how powerful a "small" engine can be with a good set of heads. The cylinder heads are THE primary determining factor on how your engine is going to make power; cheese out there and you'll be sorry. So many guys get turned off of the VW hobby by buying a 2275, 2332, or larger engine with "big valve heads" with little or no portwork, or some horrible hog out job that looks impressive in a picture or to someone that is buying based on looks. The magazine ads are ripe with these "racing heads", term used loosely.

A 1776 or 1914 with a $1500+ pair of heads (and cam/carbs/exhaust to match) will flat MOVE OUT.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
podboy3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john,

when you say that the engine will spank, what type of spanking are we talking about. snappy fun car to drive, or something that can be used for light to light racing or on the track for the weekend.
also what is the bore and stroke on the 1776 i know with a 94 bore there is a 1777 and with a 90.5 bore there is a 1775 so i am thinking you are speaking of one of these.

sorry if that last ? was dumb but i am new to this
dan
TKE381
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a longblock from Importmotor today. Dwayne was very helpful. Didn't try to up sell me. Had good advice and was interested in my project. I'll post again when it arrives and again after installation. So far, I'm pleased.

After reading all the feedback on this seller, I did not see anyone unhappy with them. For the price range I could afford it looked like the best choice.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, please post more feedback when you have your motor installed, and the specs too. Like what is remanufactured, and what is new, as it was one of the main critic about their engines.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 2 liter for my 1982 from these fella's - got it in good time, took my 6 months to get it installed and after my 1000 mile maiden voyage I am quite happy.. Had one little issue and they called me after I sent them an email.. So far so good...
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.. any more news?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: