Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Do you plan to support the end of that exhaust? I think you need to.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Do you plan to support the end of that exhaust? I think you need to.

Hi Richard,

I built a mount for the muffler that should support the entire exhaust. I wish I would have mounted the radiator above the motor behind the back window when I originally built the car... Lessens learned I guess.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Looks good.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Made some more progress this weekend.

All the plumbing is fit and routed.

After finishing the plumbing, I disassembled everything and welded in some interlocking tube connectors so the lower radiator support and air cleaner mount can be removed for engine access.

Once I finished welding everything out it was time to touch up the paint.

Now it's time to let the paint cure and move to the frontend...

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

I like how the radiator doesn't block the rear window. Looking good
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Everything is painted and ready for reassembley...

I have been working on some home projects but hope to make progress on the car tomorrow!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Well darn it... I haven't been able to upload new photos in the last few weeks? Not sure why but I will keep trying. The car is back on and off the road Laughing . If you would like to see the finish radiator remount you can check out my Instagram @Dustydrone for the latest photos.

Thanks for checking out the thread!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Good job Alan! I am getting mine ready for next Saturday when we head to Wyoming for a week of exploring with my Chasing Dirt friends Smile. Going to just drive the whole trip in the bug...I hope LOL.

Ed
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:
Good job Alan! I am getting mine ready for next Saturday when we head to Wyoming for a week of exploring with my Chasing Dirt friends Smile. Going to just drive the whole trip in the bug...I hope LOL.

Ed
Thanks Ed!

Have a great trip to Wyoming! We will be headed to Ridgecrest next week for the M.O.R.E, S.N.O.R.E., Ultra 4 race. I will be out of the #531Thing for this race and am looking forward to chasing! We will be pitting for 3 Class 5U cars in the morning race and a couple of 4800's in the afternoon race.... should be a great weekend!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

1fastbigguy wrote:
no1clyde wrote:

Ed
Thanks Ed!

Have a great trip to Wyoming! We will be headed to Ridgecrest next week for the M.O.R.E, S.N.O.R.E., Ultra 4 race. I will be out of the #531Thing for this race and am looking forward to chasing! We will be pitting for 3 Class 5U cars in the morning race and a couple of 4800's in the afternoon race.... should be a great weekend!

And my son Warren and I will be also at Ridgecrest. Look us up at Lone Kid (Class 10) and I'm not sure who all else will be there with our team. Warren sometimes helps out Nick at the McKenzie's trailer too.

Warren is out at Barstow today with the Lone Kid Class 10 testing. He's been doing some work at Crumco lately. Rick's been struggling with his recent loss of his wife Crystal to brain cancer and some troubles with his own cancer.
SoCalBajas Member
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
1fastbigguy wrote:
no1clyde wrote:

Ed
Thanks Ed!

And my son Warren and I will be also at Ridgecrest. Look us up at Lone Kid (Class 10) and I'm not sure who all else will be there with our team. Warren sometimes helps out Nick at the McKenzie's trailer too.

Warren is out at Barstow today with the Lone Kid Class 10 testing. He's been doing some work at Crumco lately. Rick's been struggling with his recent loss of his wife Crystal to brain cancer and some troubles with his own cancer.

Howdy Dusty,

That is some very rough stuff Rick is going through... Crystal was such a great person and a joy to spend time with! The "C word" is a terrible thing and I have lost a tremendous amount of amazing people to it.
I will look you up for sure... We will have a pretty large pit with three U5 cars, a class 11, two KOH 4800 rigs and the Motion tire Guy's. Can't wait to make some dust!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Poor Rick has lived LONG past his projected time with his stomach cancer. Then to lose Crystal that way is beyond sad.

I'll look for you also.
SoCalBajas Member
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Well it looks like a new chapter will be starting for #Ohibaja...

The weekend out at Rage at Ridgecrest was a blast. We got some good prerunning in and a fair amount of miles running around checking out the event as it was very spread out.

Dave and Rick in the 531 Thing had a great race going despite an off course excursion on lap 1 that resulted in some bent tubing up front and a flat. A cracked power steering line on lap 3 took them out of contention for a podium, but the hard work of the LTC Racing crew and a huge hand from the Motion Tire Guy's got them back on course for a 4th place finish!

Tom and Mike in the 505 Vert flatted around race mile 20 on lap one and lost a power steering belt. They got her put back together and fought hard all day to bring the only air cooled (Type 1 motor) car in class across the finish line in 5th.

I had the honor to ride Codawg for Bailey Cole in his 4800 Ultra4 rig. We started on pole in class behind the Class 1's, TT's, 4400's and 6100's. Despite heavy dust we managed to pass at least 4 vehicles before getting a flat at RM 30. Once underway we started having motor issues and were way down on HP, still not sure if it was fuel delivery or electrical but we didn't have all 900 horses for sure! After an extended pit to find the motor issues, We started our final lap in physical last place 16 minutes off the leader... Bailey went into full Beast Mode and we started picking cars off one after another, by RM 40 we were in second... then Bam... another flat! Thankfully we were near a remote pit and the Gomez Brothers Crew lended a hand. We lost 4 places during the stop and came out of the pits like a bat out of hell. We quickly caught Doc in the dust and after a friendly tap we entered some whoops and chaos ensued... at one point we were on top of Doc's car, the impact flatted Doc and dislocated Bailey's shoulder! Once we confirmed that Doc was safe, the Kid dropped the hammer and we started catching and passing dust clouds. We came through main pit physically 1st, made two turns and the motor quit... we quickly switched fuel pumps and the car fired but we were barely moving... we threw both pumps on and got enough HP to get to the finish. After almost 4 hours, more than our share of issues and a driver with a dislocated shoulder, we finished 1st physically but missed the corrected time win by 13 seconds... What an Epic adventure!!!

Ok so back to the Baja...

Sunday morning Dave and Connor took our crew guy's out for a rip in the car's! Everything was going great until Dave straddled a rock in the race line (35" tires and raised spindles) Connor unfortunately hit the rock (33" tires). The hit crushed the lower beam and bent the entire frontend up and back... Ouch!

As you can see it's time to turn the page on this frontend...

Given the fact that She is never going to be raced, I am going to start researching A-arms and hopefully get her back on the road in a few months.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

as i was reading this and looking at the pictures I was hoping you were not going to say A Arms...and then you did Crying or Very sad
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Dose wrote:
as i was reading this and looking at the pictures I was hoping you were not going to say A Arms...and then you did Crying or Very sad

Hi Dose,

I am definitely leaning towards A-arms for multiple reasons...

I would like to hear from you and others what the Pros and Cons are for going with A-arms vs staying with a Beam? Either way at this point the whole front of the car is getting cut off and I will be starting over.

Let's hear what all you Folks have to say?

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
BajaRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

A Special Thanks to 1fastbigguy for giving me a high-five instead of a scolding. It looks like we're going to get to spend some more time in the garage together. It's a win-win; right guys?

The car was running great and the new Radiator was keeping the car nice and cool when running at a decent pace.

The car got to do about 120 miles of pre-running before I viciously destroyed the beam. A lesson learned and I'm looking forward to what we think up next!

I understand the want of keeping it a beam car - especially in a community full of VW enthusiasts; but I feel A-arming the car is going to be the more cost effective route in the long run. We had already bent this beam and gone through two sets of chicken legs before I demolished the front end.

Thank you guys for keeping up with my thread.

P.S. We got some nice GoPro footage of the race and the pre-run. I'll see if we can dedicate some time to editing it so you guys get to enjoy the fun as well.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

I have followed your build from the beginning and it helped inspire me to work on my car so thanks for keeping this thread going. As for A arm over beam what are you hoping to gain? I am not a purist as the only VW parts still on my car is the body so I am watching to see what you guys do.

Alan I had a less than good trip this year by killing my car half way into the trip. It rained real hard the 3rd night and we broke camp in the rain and I loaded my tent in the car and water ran out and into my igniter, computer and relays so I ended my trip right there. I have the harness out and everything is getting moved and better protected.

Back to your car, I am interested to see how the front end changes work out.

Ed
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:
I have followed your build from the beginning and it helped inspire me to work on my car so thanks for keeping this thread going. As for A arm over beam what are you hoping to gain? I am not a purist as the only VW parts still on my car is the body so I am watching to see what you guys do.

Alan I had a less than good trip this year by killing my car half way into the trip. It rained real hard the 3rd night and we broke camp in the rain and I loaded my tent in the car and water ran out and into my igniter, computer and relays so I ended my trip right there. I have the harness out and everything is getting moved and better protected.

Back to your car, I am interested to see how the front end changes work out.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear that your trip ended early do to water damage... Man that stuff can reek havoc on electrical parts! Hopefully the repairs don't damage the wallet to hard Sad

As far as our car goes... well I guess the term Shit Happens came from somewhere Laughing

I have been looking at a few different options and I am learning towards A-arms. To this point I have entertained keeping the Beam in it just incase we ever decided to race it... The reality is it's not nor will it ever be a "Racecar", it's our Grocery Getter, Prerunner, playcar. I have been lucky enough to Codawg in the #531Thing for the past few years and that has been plenty enough fun for me and an eye opener to just how hard on the wallet racing can be!

Since the entire frontend of the car has to be cut off, I figure it's time to try something new. I am hoping to get more travel and have less maintenance with A-arms... I guess time will tell? As you know I have had a fair share of learning experiences and growing pain throughout this continues build.

I hope to update soon!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

1fastbigguy wrote:

The reality is it's not nor will it ever be a "Racecar", it's our Grocery Getter, Prerunner, playcar.

Thanks for sharing your experiences as I have gained from them Smile

This is my car too and mine has evolved into a sort of Dual Sport camping car so we don't have rules to follow like race cars. A-arm is not out of the my mind either but I am fairly happy with my beam setup but I will be watching Smile

Ed
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Father and Son Baja Bug- Daily Driver Reply with quote

Here's my thoughts on a-arm vs beam:

Most any a-arm set up is going to be custom made. Should you ever have an issue with a failure or another large rock, its not like you can call up Kartek and order the new parts off the shelf. At least with beam, the arms and spindles are easier to buy, and you might have spares you can borrow from another racer or get hand-me-downs from the thing if it upgrades. It also goes the other way too, where say the thing breaks something and needs a part to continue the race or to make the race, it could be available to be borrowed off your car if you needed to get the job done.

Seems to me your car works well the way it sits, just needs to be built a little beefier now. If you change to a-arms you will have to retune the shocks and reconfigure a lot of the front end to make it work and make it strong enough.

I understand the pull towards a-arms though. If I wasn't racing mine as a 5 car, I would have already made the change to my car.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: