Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker Geometry/Pushrod length
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well when there set up with the adjuster out about 1/4" and a .060 shim under I can sort of see why lash caps come off when the adjuster breaks from the geo being off. but in 40 years or so of useng lash capsI cant remember 1 ever falling off while any of my motors were running.I did have one fall off last week when I rolled the motor over up side down on the engine stand with no rockers on that side, but I picked it up breakleened it blew it dry with air pressure&put it back on when I rolled the motor back over. The last set of cb 1.4's I used were extreamly close with no shims & just lash caps,if I did mill the blocks to lower the assy it was only about .040"(but unless cb has changed thier lash caps, get bugpack or scat ones, the cb ones were not flat&fit to tight.)but the rockers were very nice as far as geo go's.but side play was another matter as i had to mill the sides of the blocks to get room for shims,Ive hear of others that had the same issue,hopefuly they have that ironed out.and thier rocker checks out real close to what it is supposed to be(1.4). witch is good as some are way out of spec like 1.4's that are 1.55 &up depending on the cam lift.the forging is a little rough but I havent heard of anybody breaking them so there good to go.I totaly deburr the entire rocker before usage any way.
as far as my rockers, too many unexped jobs came up & got in the way,I havent been able to touch any of my personal stuff for over 2 years. and that sucks big time
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set my valves at .005-ran the car to reach 180 deg. pulled off the 3-4 valve cover valves were still at .005- Ran the car again measured 1-2 side same result. I know that my current pushrods are aluminum-only the tips are magnetic. Should I not worry about this?-Re-set them to tighter tolerance? Could this indicate a problem with valve springs?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the cam card say to set them at? cold?that sounds ok to me,but Ive never checked hot lash with aluminum pushrods so I dont know exzatcly what they do.(most of my stuff is ceramic coated chambers&other stuff so my findings are a bit different any way) I havent checked hot on my current motor thats been in there for 2.5 or 3.5 years now, but my other one was about .008 hot with cr steel if memory is working today.but that was aluminum case this is a mag case in there now.I only check lash 1 time a year& it hasent changed since puting it in & doing first lash adjustment. but it only sees about 10,000 miles a year nowdays since the last kid now has a car.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a stock cam and heads
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would set at .006 and let it go.(thats if I were you)(but me I would expearament to see what does what&plot the cam to see the profile.)remember the lash @.006 with a 1.1 rocker isant the same as it is with a 1.4 rocker (at the cam&pushrod end of the rocker) the added raito decreses the lash about .0018" if im thinken right.( but my math skils are not all they should be or were.so you may not want to go tighter than the .006 witch would be.0042 at the cam(in my head any way)for me that would be ok, but I dont know the stock lobe profile& other issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: