Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

I need some help with a item that has found me and the only place i could think to ask was here. It is a flag that was borrowed/taken from the Vw factory in Dusseldorf, Germany in 1967. A client of mine asked me if i would be interested in it and what i thought the value would be, if any? I want to be fair, but in 18yrs of collecting I've never come across one. They were touring the plant in 1967 and towards the end held back and proceeded to cut it down and proceed quickly to the nearest exit. Curious if anyone could give me more info. and resonable offer? It's 3' x 5' and made of cotton.
thanks,
Jarret
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Jarret Vaughn on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way to find a real market value would be to put it on eBay and see what happens but I would guess at least a few hundred dollars.

It's quite possible an auction would go much higher though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured that would be one way. Unfortunately I want it for my own collection, but I want to be fair and offer a reasonable price. I would also like to just get some basic information from about what year it might've been produced? I've seen flags and banners from the 70s, but they were white with the blue logo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

international trafficking of stolen goods? Wink
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to guess that the statute of limitations has run out?! It's definitely more about the story for me! Okay well maybe the fact that it came out of a German factory is pretty cool too.
911GT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I think the only way to find a real market value would be to put it on eBay and see what happens but I would guess at least a few hundred dollars.

I'm sorry guys, but in the US you are insane with prices... a few hundred dollars for flag (stolen) is insane.

I watch lots af american shows (ricks restourations, pawn shop, storage wars etc) and I'm amazed by what you guys pay for 'shit' (no offence)

I think in the EU you would be happy if you'd got 25 dollars for it. Rolling Eyes
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be fair, all of those "reality" shows you mentioned are fake. So don't base your opinions of us on that.

The flag would probably be worth more if the story could be verified. Call VW up and see if they remember the flag going missing. Maybe they won't press charges after all these years Laughing

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911GT2 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I'm sorry guys, but in the US you are insane with prices... a few hundred dollars for flag (stolen) is insane.

I watch lots af american shows (ricks restourations, pawn shop, storage wars etc) and I'm amazed by what you guys pay for 'shit' (no offence)

I think in the EU you would be happy if you'd got 25 dollars for it. Rolling Eyes

Oh no, don't watch American TV... especially to see normal Americans.
Most (all) of those shows are fake so they shouldn't be used as a gauge of real value.

I agree you would probably need some proof to get the maximum value.

I think someone in the EU would pay more than that too... they pay the same as Americans for the VW dealer signs, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911GT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ok It seems I have to stand corrected Laughing

Okey maybe in the EU you won't pay 25 euro, but I honestly think a couple of hundred dollar is a bit over rated Rolling Eyes
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to get an idea of where in the factory a flag like it wold have been? Looking at pics, it would have been small in comparison to the scale of how large the buildings and machinery were. I'm getting the whole story documented on paper, but the short and sweet is that they were hippie/stoner/musicians that were on a tour and snuck off and cut down the flag. This is all from the brother of the now deceased culprit of this fun story! My thought is must have been in someone's personal work space or somewhere equally accessible for some delinquent musicians to get a hold of it. None the less it will a great piece to my collection and will show well at the next Vw show with my cars. If anybody could guess its age based off being cotton and not nylon, that would be great! As for crazy prices, I've sold more stuff for crazy prices and shipped overseas. The crazy price standard is being set by you guys!
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to look at it is, what's it worth to you? It's kind of hard to verify the story unless you really trust the person that has it. I mean, it's old and it's damn cool. I'd pay $100 for it and feel comfortable at that.

Did it really come from the factory? It's possible. But I'd recommend you do your research. Look around for old factory photos, I'm sure they exist that might show a flag similar if not the same.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also add that 3' by 5' seems kind of small for a flag that would fly outside of something like a factory. A dealer maybe.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarret Vaughn wrote:
I need some help with a item that has found me and the only place i could think to ask was here. It is a flag that was borrowed/taken from the Vw factory in Dusseldorf, Germany in 1967.

Herbie3Rivers wrote:
I will also add that 3' by 5' seems kind of small for a flag that would fly outside of something like a factory. A dealer maybe.

I agree about the dealer. I've never heard of a VW factory in Dusseldorf.

Heinz Nordhoff
Cabriothusiast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: ** Reply with quote

Last edited by Cabriothusiast on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing more research now and the info is second hand info from the "petty thief" aka stoned musician that borrowed the flag. Got it in the mail today and it seams much older. The material is not very soft and it is not blue and white. The logo is woven in the fabric and is khaki and blue. They wouldn't have toured a dealership, so the info. On which one could be wrong. Not looking for value as I received it as a gift in exchange for caretaking. I love the fact that it was STOLEN, I think it is awesome that it was STOLEN by two hippie stoner musicians from a factory or a dealership so long ago!! Hoping to get some real info?

Last edited by Jarret Vaughn on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
WOB-SAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Funny.... Reply with quote

In Germany - such a Flag would value around 100,--€

But the FUNNY fact is that there's something wrong with the History.

There has never been a Volkswagen Factory in Duesseldorf!

They had a Postwar Auto Union Factory that did build DKW cars - but the Factory was sold to Mercedes in 1958.

In the early sixties Mercedes startet it's Commercial Vehicle Production there.

Even though Auto Union/NSU was then sold to Volkswagen - the Factory was pure Mercedes.

They are still very successful in DÜsseldorf as they still build all the Mercedes, (Dodge) & Freightliner SPRINTER.

So it was maybe kidnappend @ a Dealership.

SAM Laughing
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a little more of the mystery flag story! I've got some really good info. Since taking possession of the flag. There was a group of the best teenage musicians from Tulas, Ok. Called "The Young Musicians" about 100 total. They were a marching band that toured the states and then internationally competing at various expos. While in dusseldorf, Germany they did have time off from performing and were able to take in the sites. This is where we still have some research to do! Trying to track down which factory a few set out to tour? The brother of the deceased remembers the story well. He said his brother caved to the pressure of his buddies and proceeded to climb up into the rafters of mystery factory to remove flag. With the help of some others we have the flag narrowed down to possibly mid 1950's based off material used and the color of logo being khaki/beige and darker blue. Not smoke or yellowing from age. Possible places to visit in the area would be the westfalia factory or even a longer trek to Wolfsburg. Anybody have any other ideas of factories that would have been close and on a scale of being ale to climb up and snag a flag?! I am currently reaching out and trying to find other members of this group that might have known or traveled with to mystery facility. Nonetheless, I'm having a blast talking with others trying to figure this out! One contact I have spoke to is the founder of the " the young tulsans". He is 78 and recalls the European tour, but he was the one who informed me they had free time to break off and tour the country. He giggled when I mentioned the borrowed flag and how I came about it! He wants me to call him if I ever figure out the rest of this story!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than having a cool flag, its value as an sort of historical artifact depends on the credibility of the tale, which drops a little more every time the story changes...
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay attention please! Story has never changed. Started as a flag removed from a German factory while being toured. Now I am sorting out the exact details which were unknown. Hopefully you would never acquire something without its full provenance?! If so, I have tons of really rare items for sale, wink wink! Nonetheless, this is a piece from my hometown with a better connection then when the original ever growing not changing story started! I'm only sharing for those who might actually care of it's history and where it was hung! Either way it is a cool flag and I still seem to have the only one! I have yet to have anyone show me another, not even a pic! Would love to see one flying in a pic!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in anything new you find out so please keep posting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: