Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely Everett! This is now become an obsession. I thought in the beginning it would be about the flag itself. That's not even half as good as the story!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

Hard to believe it's been some years since I posted this about this flag. Finally concluded it must have been hanging in the Westphalia factory which fits the stories description and location more accessible to were the high school bands were playing. What band member wouldn't want to check campers out. I was even able to buy a Vinyl record of the young Tulsans which places the kid that liberated the flag in Germany in 1966 and 1967. Still wish I could get some solid info from what year anyone thinks this flag was made and what purpose as far as dealship, factory, personal etc?

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

It's a stolen item, cool as it might be, it is stolen. You knew it was stolen and I assume you still acquired it. Stolen, stolen, stolen. Personally I wouldn't buy it knowing that. Bad karma for you...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
It's a stolen item, cool as it might be, it is stolen. You knew it was stolen and I assume you still acquired it. Stolen, stolen, stolen. Personally I wouldn't buy it knowing that. Bad karma for you...

Bill

Haha...oh your serious. Kids being kids in 1967 took a flag. I'll go back to saying liberated. I did get some cool info back from Vw international out of Germany about it. Pretty uncommon to have survived and not been destroyed. Sure am glad the kids Stole it, i mean liberated it!
I find your screen name so fitting. bullibill Ha! Keep doing you Bullibill!
Your silly!

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

Jarret Vaughn wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Your silly!

FYI Bulli a Nickname for the VW Bus in Germany. Originally the VW Bus was to be named the VW Bulli but Heinrich Lanz, producer of the Lanz Bulldog farm tractor, objected. The nickname caught on anyway.
Bill is one of the coolest guys I have ever met in the VW community highly respected and very very well known.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Jarret Vaughn wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Your silly!

FYI Bulli a Nickname for the VW Bus in Germany. Originally the VW Bus was to be named the VW Bulli but Heinrich Lanz, producer of the Lanz Bulldog farm tractor, objected. The nickname caught on anyway.
Bill is one of the coolest guys I have ever met in the VW community highly respected and very very well known .

X2- Bill is on the short list of folks who have helped and encouraged countless bus enthusiasts over the years. How many? Measured in the thousands. Even when he had to work me over once- he did it with class.

Jarret- you are completely alone in your rant.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

x3
Bill = m'fin badass superbro
Jarret = greater than 60% of your total Samba posts (16 in the last nine years) have been about a stolen flag & bashing Bill. Way to contribute... what a dork.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words of support. I haven't been paying attention to this thread and just saw Jarrets "reply". Oh well! I've always tried to take the high road, steer away from bad karma. No one can accurately say I've stolen anything, or to my knowledge accepted anything that was stolen or shady. Good Karma only for me please. Jarret on the other hand seems proud to have acquired and have a item stolen (not liberated, STOLEN) from VW. He's even kinda proud about it. He's probably a nice guy in general, but bad karma for him now. Whatever!

Yeah, super funny comment about my avatar name Jarret. You couldn't have known I own four old "Bulli" Buses, hence the nickname. You can think whatever you want. What have you ever done for our hobby?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

An the beat goes on and on and the beat goes on and on!
News flash " still have stolen flag"
I apologize for not being as well documented of a contributor to this specific Vw community website.
I spend my time with my clubs and local enthusiasts keeping these incredible vehicles on the road for about 25yrs now.
This was the one Vw item that has me stumped and seems to have stumped all. Still to date no one has given me any specific info. Only offers to buy!
I pride myself on th same values that you mentioned Bullibill as far as to what has dealt my incredible hand of Karma.
I don't post often as I do not have much that I'm an not familiar and I know this community is full of great knowledge and others have more time to be behind their computer screens than I.
Thank you for coming to the defense of bulli and a conclusion of my character in short thread about an antique of which most antiques especially of German decent that were Stolen, liberated etc. !!
Hold yourself to a standard and hold others to a higher one , so you can feel better when they fall in your eyes.
There can be no possible response other than positive, but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong.
Oh, by the way I lived in st. Charles Missouri in 1997 on 2nd st. Across from a Vw shop. Had my 84 westy worked on there.

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

Jarret- Keep up on this thread so it stays high up on the listing. Perhaps someone in the know will chime in about your flag.

You should know that bashing on people is generally an assistance repellent- not an enticement to help. There's a good chance that someone in this international scene knows the years displayed, where, when and why, etc. Throw out the welcome mat for them- bashing-free.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Jarret- Keep up on this thread so it stays high up on the listing. Perhaps someone in the know will chime in about your flag.

You should know that bashing on people is generally an assistance repellent- not an enticement to help. There's a good chance that someone in this international scene knows the years displayed, where, when and why, etc. Throw out the welcome mat for them- bashing-free.

Thanks for the response. I have already spoke to a representative from a museum in Germany. I don't feel I bashed anyone in this thread. I only responded to Bullibill when he posted a fairly negative post that you can look back at mentioning it being stolen and nothing more than stolen and condemned me for still acquiring it and bad karma for me! Only to be lifted up and rallied behind when I responded with simple facts. Nonetheless, I've gotten some good info on the flag from other research I have done. Actually was trying to figure out how to remove this thread as it's not been productive.
Thanks again

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

Anyone else have one like mine? I find it hard to believe I'm in posssion of the only one whether mine was stolen or not. Lol
This was the last correspondence I received.
On Feb 14, 2017, at 7:27 AM, Kunden Support Classic Parts <[email protected]> wrote:

Hallo Volkswagen Parts,

Dear Jarret,

the old flags are rare because they got dirty or damaged during the years. And Volkswagen changed there coparate identity during the years so that the flags were not allowed to show as an official flag in the past 50 years. But most of the Volkswagen garages were founded by private machanics after the war when the german economy was down. They had to count every cent and kept even the stuff they don'*t need becaus they spend money to buy them. In the past 20 years, a lot of these garages were closed, the other ones had to build new buildings and the firt generation who kept the old stuff passed away. To keep the status of a Volkswagen Service Station or dealer, the existing shops need a ISO certification which does not allowed to keep old stuff in reason the storage costs.

Best regards

Björn

Ihr Support-Team von VW Classicparts,

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

This ad from today looks really similar
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2095076
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
This ad from today looks really similar
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2095076

I just saw this post and I appreciate you adding that. It looks much larger and little newer. Wish the picture was a little better. The logo looks to be actually white whereas mine is more of a beige color. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see another one.

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

I thought I should save the pictures from the ad for this thread, here they are:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jarret Vaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I thought I should save the pictures from the ad for this thread, here they are:

Thanks for adding those! That label is interesting. Definitely a little newer, but not much. Make since the listing was in Germany. The last correspondence I got from sources in Germany where they were probably in private hands and pretty unusual to get a hold of, but out there! Might have to send him a message and see what the scoop is on his.

1963 camper sportmobile
1973 Thing
1969 Ghia
78' sick ass shovelhead
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flag borrowed/taken from VW factory in Germany Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

The postal codes in Germany have changed a few times. Most noticeable:
1961 ... 1973 a four digit system was used, but following zeros were truncated like "53 Bonn 1"
1974 ... 1992 the same four digit system, but with the following zeros like "5300 Bonn 1"

This would narrow this recent flag down to 1974 ... 1992.
Huge period of time, I know, but maybe the manufacturer knows more about it.
"Bonner Fahnenfabrik GmbH", now just short BoFa, is still in business:
http://www.bofa.de/en/UK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: