Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

is this for real?how small are those tires?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: is this for real?how small are those tires? Reply with quote

i may be getting a 71 panel. if i do i want to lower it. i was cruising through the gallery for height,wheel tire combos options and found this photo. how small are those tires? its on the ground and dosen"t look like the wheel wells are even tubbed! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/24070.jpg

OGJHC Nevada chapter
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I dont see any fake thing about it. They must have higered the beam, for the tires to be able to turn. They dont seem like small tires, but I am sure they cutt out the holes, or else it would hit the inside fenders...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok what does "higered the beam" mean?you can see the top of the tire so i dont follow what you mean about cutting the holes? no i am not being a jerk,worse a "newbee to buses" what about the front vents? i see a lot of them shaved.what were they originally for? and what about turn signals? please educate a newbee. Confused

OGJHC Nevada chapter
llamas1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of my brother in-laws Honda Civic. He couldn't go over speed bumps without grinding something.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant Highered the beam. Raise the whole thing up higher. As for the vent. It is for fresh air to the inside of the bus. The turnsignals must be those little light looking things at the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like the dog legs and doors have been modified. The distance between the bottom of the door at the top of the dog leg to the bottom of the window is way less than stock.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since air bags are adjustable then my vote says the bus probably can't be driven at this height. All the cutting, tubbing, heightening, etc. are done so you can actually drive the bus while it's nearly on the ground. Notice how the rear engine vents appear to be filled in? I wonder what that's all about. Question
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probobly body droped and cut the area around the doors so it could be lowered to the ground with the bags. It looks like the offset of those rims make the tire stick out even with the side of the bus, so they had to modify the front door area so it would lay down that low.

A body drop, is when they cut around the entire inside of the bus about 2 or 3 inches from the sides and lower the body down from the pan as far as they need and use channel iron to fill the gap and weld it all back together. If you look at the seat inside the front windsheild you notice the back of it sits higher than it would normally. When doing a body drop you loose some of your head room. I'm sure they had to raise the rear engine compartment deck up to make up the difference as well from lowering the body down.
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probobly body droped and cut the area around the doors so it could be lowered to the ground with the bags. It looks like the offset of those rims make the tire stick out even with the side of the bus, so they had to modify the front door area so it would lay down that low.

A body drop, is when they cut around the entire inside of the bus about 2 or 3 inches from the sides and lower the body down from the pan as far as they need and use channel iron to fill the gap and weld it all back together. If you look at the seat inside the front windsheild you notice the back of it sits higher than it would normally. When doing a body drop you loose some of your head room. I'm sure they had to raise the rear engine compartment deck up to make up the difference as well from lowering the body down.
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man my computer stuck that post out there 5 times. Sorry guys.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body was cut so the wheel wells could be raised higher then it was bagged to lay it on the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see what you mean. the doors look shorter and seats do look higher. that makes sense now. Smile

OGJHC Nevada chapter
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that 'channelling'?

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
busrocker71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still wondering about the air vents! how in the heck does that thing stay cool? crazy set up...looks dope though..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the body is fiberglass or something. how the heck do they get in and out of that thing? no door handles. as for the air vents, i have no idea. that bus is wacky, and it is very scary in my opinion..but whatever floats your boat! ")

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBob wrote:
Isn't that 'channelling'?

Thats when cut a section out of the middle I believe?

As far as the other dude with the stuck computer that posted a bunch of times you can delete some of them. Wink

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: