Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No crank condition *Solved*
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: No crank condition *Solved* Reply with quote

I just picked up a 71 bus. It would not crank. Just one loud click. I have tried two known good batteries. I pulled the new starter out of my 72 and put that in. Same condition. I noticed that it has what I assume is a Ford starter relay mounted near the starter. I disconnected that unit, putting a female connector on the red/black wire and remounting that to the solenoid. I momentarily enjoyed some cranking bliss and sputter over. But that was short lived. It has now gone back to a no crank condition. The oil and gen lights come on bright and show strain and dim in the crank position, but no crank. I hooked it up to the brat and tried to jump it, but only got some limited, short lived slow crank. Other than that, nothing but dimming dash lights. Any ideas? You know I love you guys and appreciate the help. Cheers
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.

Last edited by shiningstar76 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignition switch bad?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Ignition switch bad?

Maybe. I figured I wouldn't see any drain on the dash lights if that were the case. Am I incorrect?
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out the Bently which lead me to clean all the battery terminals and when I was cleaning the positive terminal the big gauge wire popped right out. I cleaned it all and tightened it up and it fired right up. Thanks for the help.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great example of how we think. Something fails but instead of going to the cheapest, easiest part of the system to troubleshoot first, we go to the hardest, most expensive thing first. I've had to learn that lesson more than once. Battery connections should be your first thing to look at.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BKellogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: 71 bay window starter problems Reply with quote

I have a 71 westy that was doing great, Last week I went out to start it and all I got was a whirring sound when I turned the key on. Like there's power to the starter but won't kick over. I tried the tapping on it with the hammer trick, but nothing. I'm thinking that it's the solenoid, but thought I'd ask for a little advice before replacing it. No other dubs guys local here... Surprised(
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and all I got was a whirring sound when I turned the key on.

Is it a clicking or whirring? If whirring, pull the starter out and look at the teeth. Are they chewed up? Use a flashlight to look at the flywheel - any teeth missing. If no to both then look at the bolt that the starter fork pivots on. It could be worn down very thin and the fork is not pushing the teeth all the way out. Basically if the solenoid can pull in enough to cause the starter to run, it should be pushing the teeth into the flywheel. Either it is not doing that or the flywheel is missing teeth - or maybe the starter is loose. That is if it is a whirring sound. If it is a clicking sound over and over then it could be a weak battery or bad cables like this thread.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the flywheel does have bad/missing teeth you can try putting the bus in second gear, let the brake off, and give it a shove. This should rotate the flywheel around to where the good teeth are. It's not a fix but just a quick way to get yourself running again.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
If the flywheel does have bad/missing teeth you can try putting the bus in second gear, let the brake off, and give it a shove. This should rotate the flywheel around to where the good teeth are. It's not a fix but just a quick way to get yourself running again.

With the key in the off position.

Aloha
tp
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
With the key in the off position.

Party pooper Laughing Laughing
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use to say in the MotoX world "It's all fun & Games until someone gets hurt"
"Then it's Hilarious" Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: