Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

There should be 4, the smaller holes beside them are to secure the tin.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242382&highlight=air+injection

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
There should be 4, the smaller holes beside them are to secure the tin.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242382&highlight=air+injection

When I ran the bus exhaust noise only came out of the three holes.
The fourth hole (screwdriver shows location) is a smaller thread and only goes in about an inch or so.
The other holes are about 4 inches long. Maybe the temperature port they speak of?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Well if it ain't leak'n don't worry..................................for now, if you don't find it will it find you roadside in the middle of nowhere?, unless maybe it's already been plugged with a valve adjuster screw?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well if it ain't leak'n don't worry..................................for now, if you don't find it will it find you roadside in the middle of nowhere?, unless maybe it's already been plugged with a valve adjuster screw?

Weird thing is when I drive a screwdriver in there it only goes an inch or so and it hits hard, like cast metal, not carbon build up. The other three holes, I loose my screwdriver. Can't use that for a cht could I?
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Hi there. I need to buy a new table for my 74 deluxe westy. Can someone take a photo of how the hinges attach to the wall? I feel like I'm missing a bracket or something. A photo of the underneath of the table when opened would be appreciated!

Thanks!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

The hinges dont attach to the wall - they attach to a small 1x2strip of wood that attaches to the wall. Not the best pic.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

From my 72 same idea I believe.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Dude. You dont know these people. Why you showing off your pole like that? Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Dude. You dont know these people. Why you showing off your pole like that? Laughing

I know. It's all old and crusty. You did a nice job polishing your pole Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I know. It's all old and crusty. You did a nice job polishing your pole Wink

I found that in the gallery - that's some other dudes pole. Shocked

My pole is sacred - like a totem. People come from miles around to admire it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Lol. Some of you need to get out more...

Thanks for the pics Xevan and Notchboy! What are the dimensions of the wood strip that the table secures to? I think I may have tossed it when I was cleaning out all the crap accumulated from the PO.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Ill go measure mine from the 74. Of the 6 screws that hold the hinge to this stick - two are longer and match a 7th thats seen in the middle - these go through the panel and hold the table to the wall of the bus.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

When I got the 74 Im currently restoring - the curtains had been replaced with ones so burnt by the sun that Im sure the OG ones met the same fate in the hot Texas Sun.

But I did have the front windshield curtain albeit in ok shape but on its way too to rotts ville. I did notice at the time that the 74 curtain was less dense than the later 78 dark green ones I had.

Here are some close up pics of these unobtainium drapes and the description of weave and density.

Firstly the 74-75 ones - the green next to the orange one - feel thin and organic like cotton. The thread is not thick thus making the weave thin - if that makes sense. You can put a light behind it and see light for sure. I would surmise the thin weave and the organic thread make it prone to rotting in the sun - fast. Maybe one of the reasons you never see them for sale ever.

This second green on the bottom appears and was sold as a 74-75 curtain. But its made of silky synthetic like polyester or a blend thereof. Same weave - same construction - different material.

Obvious when held next to later, long lasting, heavier weaved 76-79 curtains.

Its my best guess from the pieces I have in front of me that VW had OG 74-75 cotton curtains that failed fast. Then they were replaced by synthetic blend - I can confirm this with a burn test - to aid in longer life - less fade?

Id love to see if others have OG curtains in their rides and what type - conditions they are in.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, and probably already known, the orange plaid Westfalia on the first page is a 75, due to there being a jump seat. 74 just had the stool and middle cubby with the infamous yellow pail.
I also had the complete set (including windshield) curtains when I bought my bus. Orange like everything else, the outsides of the curtains were so sun faded, they are literally pink. So as much as I want to rock OG curtains, I can’t, one side orange, the other pink.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
For what it’s worth, and probably already known, the orange plaid Westfalia on the first page is a 75, due to there being a jump seat. 74 just had the stool and middle cubby with the infamous yellow pail.
I also had the complete set (including windshield) curtains when I bought my bus. Orange like everything else, the outsides of the curtains were so sun faded, they are literally pink. So as much as I want to rock OG curtains, I can’t, one side orange, the other pink.
Sam

Most all curtains from the 75-79 range have the sunburn on one side. People find the front curtains and make rears out of them. Wink

Having og pink curtains is a step above most as these 74-75 ones seem to vanish more so than the later ones.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Notch,
I'm thrilled to have them, but I'm going to make some orange replacements and just hold onto the OG curtains. Well, I think they'll be orange. I've been kinda thinking green lately, pull a little more color out of the plaid interior.
Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

I love the orange. But I agree that a splash of something else like green would be good. Im not sure how long I could live with orange on orange on orange on orange............. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

On orange, on orange, on orange...orange Laughing

Really though, I dig it too. I never knew I liked the color so much. My main concern aside from privacy of course, is to keep the sun off the interior. I've thought about tinting the Windows, but I want to keep the OG glass clean and period correct. Also the shit of tint that was on there when I bought it, that was ummmm, fun?!
I'll be getting my sewing on soon.

FSAG (For Shits and Giggles) - "secrets of the Nazca" Expedition Unknown on Travel Channel there is a 15 window behind the lady in an interview, followed by a vintage 60's photo of a lady with a split window bug. Yeah, I'm eating chocolate watching the travel channel. Man I wish Mexico wasn't so damn crazy.
Sam

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Ha I was watching that same shit at the same time!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Denzel1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread Reply with quote

Some of you ever had a gas smell issue with their 1975 bus ? What should I start to check to resolve that problem ?

Last edited by Denzel1975 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: