Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio Nerds - AM Stations
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Radio Nerds - AM Stations Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
NJ John wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
My local AM is no longer broadcasting on AM. They switched the programming over to one of their FM frequencies. So for now, unless it is dark out with clear skies, I get nothing at all on the AM dial.

Our local AM did the same thing. Apparently the FCC had some deal with stations switching over to FM. But their power is limited. One of the DJ’s told me this. The station is in my town and broadcast oldies from three locations. I love the format, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. If they play 80’s it’s rock, not Madona or Paula Abdul.

Yes, I forgot to add the fact that the FM broadcast barely makes it out of town. Can't listen if you you're 10 miles away. With AM, depending on weather, you could listen 50-60 miles from the tower, sometimes further.

FM generally has to be line of sight, except there are a few atmospheric phenomenon which can make it viable over 1000 miles on a transient basis.

More typically , 50-100 miles tops
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Radio Nerds - AM Stations Reply with quote

Oh man, back in the day it was all about Z-rock, at the far end of the dial. Best radio programming ever for metal heads like me. I've totally given up on radio and don't even listen to music while driving. Its full attention to the road and pray you make it home. Just tore the partial working CD player out of my Bus and replaced it with a tissue dispenser. Time to listen to some GnR.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Radio Nerds - AM Stations Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
NJ John wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
My local AM is no longer broadcasting on AM. They switched the programming over to one of their FM frequencies. So for now, unless it is dark out with clear skies, I get nothing at all on the AM dial.

Our local AM did the same thing. Apparently the FCC had some deal with stations switching over to FM. But their power is limited. One of the DJ’s told me this. The station is in my town and broadcast oldies from three locations. I love the format, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. If they play 80’s it’s rock, not Madona or Paula Abdul.

Yes, I forgot to add the fact that the FM broadcast barely makes it out of town. Can't listen if you you're 10 miles away. With AM, depending on weather, you could listen 50-60 miles from the tower, sometimes further.

FM generally has to be line of sight, except there are a few atmospheric phenomenon which can make it viable over 1000 miles on a transient basis.

More typically , 50-100 miles tops

Medium to large mountains surrounding Sandpoint, with long valleys running north and south. Doesn't seem to matter which direction, the FM signal fades within 10 miles. AM would travel much farther here in the past. Other FM stations from the same broadcast company travel much farther, too. So I guess that means this one FM signal is pretty low power.

I am an hour from Minneapolis right now, and 830 WCCO is the broadcast king around here. I could get it in the car in Eastern South Dakota.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: