Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crap in my gas tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a glass bowl filter that I hacked into my '69 camper fuel supply. I got bad gas one time which was probably a mixture of diesel and gas. The engine would run only at high rpm and lacked power. I eventually found the problem by draining some fuel and swirling it in a glass jar and the two fuels separated. After that I added the glass bowl filter. A Vanagon with a rusty tank might be a candidate for this hack. Rust or water will be visible in the bottom of the glass bowl.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jameskarst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:
Three of these came out of my tank and I wasnt experiencing any issue. With the bafffles, internal hoses, and the desire to only drop my tank once I replaced it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's pretty gnarly. How did you get that out of tank?

As I understand it on the Vanagon, the problem is not necessarily rust that makes its way to the fuel pump and beyond, but that the accumulation of debris at the bottom of the tank impedes the flow of fluid to the pump, starving it and causing premature failure. That said, I like the glass bowl filter. Let's you see what's going through your system.

I'll try to get my hands on an old, rusty tank to try the bike chain trick on, and I'll report back on whether it works. (Not going to try my existing tank yet, because it still works well enough. If this is a complete failure, I can just toss the guinea pig tank.)
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vendor email reply about their tank. It seems that the inside is not precoated with a rust preventative.

So then what. A new tank with raw steel insides that will begin rusting as soon as I uncrate it?

Have any of you sealed the inside? Or do we just let it ride and wait another 20yrs.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that I can't add tank sealer due to the pick up and return screens. It's not the same as a tank from an old Mustang or Nova.
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a "spectra premium" tank which is what i think most of the usual vendors stock.

Made from ni terne steel which is rust resistant and supposedly doesnt need an additional coating (although I applied truck liner to the bottom and rust paint on top). There was a coating on mine (probably nickel) since when I scoured it up to accept paint better a fine dust came off.

Tons of stuff on google about this tank and how well it holds up to rust. Manufactures web site says that it does not need additional coating.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
So then what... Or do we just let it ride and wait another 20yrs.

Keep the tank full as often as possible to minimize the amount of oxygen/condensation conspiring to cause rust.

Every 20 years doesn't sound too bad to me.
Urban Farm Vehicle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Fuel flow rate Reply with quote

Hey there!
Does anyone have the free flow rate for an '85 tank from the Bentley? Is that after the tank or after the filter?
Major whine from the cavitation happening!
Many thanks
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find tank free flow rate. But you could pull the hose from the tank as shown in the pic's of the OP. You can back that up with free flow from the return side also.

The Bentley shows on 20.7 and 20.29 that a measurement taken after the FPR should produce 500cc/30 sec ( approx. 1/2 qt ).

As for our hot rod, the tank and all the trimmings was recently changed out.
I still had a bit of whine so the last piece of the puzzle was to change the rubber FP mounts. The new rubber mounts were a bit more pliable than the OE parts and I didn't have the greatest confidence that they would solve the friggin' issue. But alas, all is as quiet as a church mouse. In earlier tests, I removed the FP from the OE mounts and had it hanging free style but that FP was wasted. More swinging at curve balls.

Any new resonance vibratory whining sound from the FP and not from me can be addressed with carpet on the floor and turning the radio up.
I'm done.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Here is a glass bowl filter that I hacked into my '69 camper fuel supply.

I've seen those on aircooled vws break and cause a nice bonfire. If I were going to install one of those (not even sure they are rated for FI pressures) I sure as hell wouldn't put it anywhere near the exhaust or any spark.

Learn not to burn, bro.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mann diesel filters are made of steel, filter to 10 microns, and have a water seporator feature with a drain valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Here is a glass bowl filter that I hacked into my '69 camper fuel supply.

I've seen those on aircooled vws break and cause a nice bonfire. If I were going to install one of those (not even sure they are rated for FI pressures) I sure as hell wouldn't put it anywhere near the exhaust or any spark.

Learn not to burn, bro.

yeah, I got one like that too and the glass broke before I did anything with it. I didn't buy it for my T3 though.

regis101 wrote:
I'm thinking that I can't add tank sealer due to the pick up and return screens. It's not the same as a tank from an old Mustang or Nova.

how is it not like the Stang or Nova ? what are those tanks like ?
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tanks are pretty much hollow. The sender comes out the top on the 'Stang.

The Vanagon tank has baffles, a center well, and the pickup tube for the out flow is screened. Maybe the inlet. Dunno about that.
Some one posted the inside of the tank after they cut it apart.

So, imo, it'd be a bit difficult to get the inside coated evenly as compared to the early American tanks. Used to be able to throw a chain inside of them and shake it around for rust removal
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of unrelated, but where does the metal fuel line go inside the tank so it isn't ever starved for fuel going up hill or down hill when the tank is say under 1/4 full ?

and what kind of paint/coating would be best ?

I wonder if a plating shop could do zinc plating inside
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a link to some pic's of the inside. I can't find the other thread with pic's of it opened up like a clam shell. These pic's are from the tank being sectioned. You can see that it's kinda busy in there.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=20
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new tank is $160.
It has been covered in other threads and other forums...coating the inside of a stock 2wd Vanagon tank does not work well.
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched a lot of sites before replacing my entire fuel system on my '82. Everything is new right down to the specific hose and clamps recommended by senior and knowledgeable members on this site. I also went with new injectors. I did the go westy upgrade with the prefilter delete, I think a prefilter is in my near future.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I picked up a NOS tank, it was sold as an 85 tank but turned out the fill hole was the wrong size for my reseal kit. my original tank looked rust free everywhere you can see inside so I just used it. maybe I'll get the grommet kits that fit this NOS tank and swap them out someday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: