Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally, I shopped. So, now I can shop more! [Build thread]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Van Cafe sells a great LED Light Bar to replace the OEM florescent kitchen light: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2009_128/led-light-fixture.html

I purchased this from super bright LEDs awhile back - not sure how the pricing currently compares, but is indeed a great light, and it rotates too! I would recommend it for anyone wanting to ditch the craptastic factory light.

Its in my shopping cart! Can you use a dimmer switch with it, or does that have to be built-in with the LED unit?
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the light color/temperature like (incandescent yellow or LED blue)?
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This light looks like a perfect replacement for the original one, especially if it hides all the lines/markings from the original light. If your 7yo can do it, then I can. Wink Kidding, I have no problem drilling holes, have at least 2 drills, but it freaks me out in the Vanagon, never know what is behind what you are drilling and suddenly you've drilled through something important (and expensive, or worse NLA) and you're screwed. LOL
ThankYouJerry wrote:
I used one of the OEM holes and only had to drill one new one into the plastic (about 1/8th inch or smaller). The VC LED light bar covered the other OEM hole and I never plan on re-installing the old OEM fluorescent fixture, so IMHO it was a perfect replacement (except for the cold vs. warm color Evil or Very Mad which I solved with amber lens tape Smile ). My 7 year old helped me install it Cool .

My Westy is in the shop getting a new trans and 1.8T Very Happy … when I get it back I can post some pix of the LED light bar.

BTW… another cool feature is that the bar pivots so you can turn it up or down depending on where you want to focus the light. In general it lights up the entire cabin much better than the OEM light.

Great to know, thanks, will compare the price! I've seen others recommending that place and had been planning on ordering LEDs there, but this sounds better. Should be somewhere in this section:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-strips-and-bars/led%20light%20fixture/page/2/

Sir Sam wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Van Cafe sells a great LED Light Bar to replace the OEM florescent kitchen light: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2009_128/led-light-fixture.html

I purchased this from super bright LEDs awhile back - not sure how the pricing currently compares, but is indeed a great light, and it rotates too! I would recommend it for anyone wanting to ditch the craptastic factory light.

Can't order this week, just ordered the Little Red Campfire and have to wait and pick it up (and bring it across the border) before ordering more. My dh is going to kill me, but I'm pretty excited about this toy and so will my boys! Last year there was a campfire ban for most of the summer...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58031-Little-Campfire-...e+red+fire

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shepherdsond wrote:
What is the light color/temperature like (incandescent yellow or LED blue)?

Neither. It's just kinda a pure white which is cold. Please see my previous post to see my fix for warming the color to a very close to incandescent color.

As for the dimmer question… I have no experience with that. Maybe Jay (thatvwbusguy) would know.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Sat May 03, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Out of necessity, I have also ordered other products from superbrightleds.com, but...
If it's only a matter of a few bucks… I'd highly advocate supporting businesses that work very hard to help keep our beloved Vanagons on the road. My $.02
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry, will look at your colour changing tip if I'm not happy with the colour once I deal with it! It's a direct wire thing, right? I unhook my auxillary battery, remove old light, hook brown wire to black wire and ground to other colour (or what ever colour is there, will ask when I get there) and re-mount the light, right? Easy as pie, I can do that! LOL

Would love that Van Cafe light on that little Ipod (looking) dimmer others here have used, would require more wiring though...

Found a new toy! One of my students had this pretty little thing plugged into her phone on Friday. She said it was $20 at the Canadian Target. Another student said you can get them for $5 Flea Market. I've found them for $6-30 holding various AH (and colours) on Amazon and ebay. This will cross off my project to add more 12v sockets on the back bench! It can easily charge while we're driving and be ready to go when we arrive and can be re-charged if need be, with my auxiliary battery!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_12?url=se...sb+charger

tam

Making it special:
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe it's the Sunday morning mindset - but I had to look twice when I saw the picture without reading yet. Cylindrical pink object with its own carry bag, plug and a guide that says 'happy'.

Go go gadget happy toy!

Laughing
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, Laughing Laughing Laughing ROFL. I'm not *that* kind of gal! Embarassed Embarassed

This is a better picture of it's true purpose! LOL I actually want it for charging our tablets, but phones, Ipods and other electronic device, that's up to you. I like that you can move it anywhere you want and don't have to deal with the cord.

chojinchef wrote:
Ok, maybe it's the Sunday morning mindset - but I had to look twice when I saw the picture without reading yet. Cylindrical pink object with its own carry bag, plug and a guide that says 'happy'.

Go go gadget happy toy!

Laughing

Making it special:
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, was not implying anything, just sayin what it looked like to me first off.

I use this when I travel for work. Was given to me by my marketing VP as a thank you. They work well.

Same idea. Can plug both my iPhones in, or one iPhone and one iPad.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this one look like? Wink

Seriously, no offence taken, after I read your post and said, "what!?" I had a great laugh. I totally see how one would come to that conclusion, that's why I posted the other picture. More obvious as to what it was used for and how it was related to a Vanagon, before I got into trouble for an off topic thread! LOL I'm pretty excited about it as I only have the one auxiliary battery w/ 2 12V outlets & 1USB, I was planning on getting another 12V or two for that back bench, but now I'm going to give these a try first.

How many AH is yours and what does it cost? Looks like you can plug more than one thing into it at once, which is cool. I've found some 3,000AH ones on ebay for $8 and want two for the lower bunk of the Vanagon and one for the top. It will make a great stocking stuffing for Christmas as they have a little flash light on them. It'd probably be a good idea to get 2-3 different brands, so I know which lasts and is better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-LED-Flashlight-USB...1e87a7a79a
chojinchef wrote:
Sorry, was not implying anything, just sayin what it looked like to me first off.

I use this when I travel for work. Was given to me by my marketing VP as a thank you. They work well.

Same idea. Can plug both my iPhones in, or one iPhone and one iPad.
[url][/url]

Making it special:
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6600 mAh.
It does charge two at once and has 4 indicator LEDs that tell you how much juice it has.
I got mine as a gift, but I think I saw them online for $50
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
What does this one look like? Wink

Looks like a marital aid to me!

I plug my phone into the USB port on my CD receiver - it goes both ways, charging and/or playing off the iPhone! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks, I'll look around some more and compare price $/AH and then read a few review to see if/which last/charge better/faster...

GLAD I returned that battery charger pack I got at Canadian Tire last summer, it only had 33AH (deep cell though?) for ~$150 on sale. That's a terrible deal! LOL
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-battery-pack-800-a-0111592p.html#.U2b_0yhMyHs
chojinchef wrote:
6600 mAh.
It does charge two at once and has 4 indicator LEDs that tell you how much juice it has.
I got mine as a gift, but I think I saw them online for $50

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, LOL, huh. Laughing I smile every time I see that. I knew what I was looking for/at when I saw it and even I had to re-read what I was looking at. LOL

Thanks, we have a USB pen/stick/drive (what ever you want to call it), plugged into the USB port on my stereo. It has hundreds of songs on it, so if I pull it, then we have to listen to the radio. Shocked The day will come soon that my kids don't know what a radio is! Sad At any rate, the reason I like this *thing* is that it can go where ever I want. The picnic table, the top bunk, the lower bunk...You can use them for a flashlight with out dealing w/ disposable batteries and it can be used for my heated blanket!

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Looks like a marital aid to me!

I plug my phone into the USB port on my CD receiver - it goes both ways, charging and/or playing off the iPhone! Wink

Making it special:
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this in a higher capacity, it lives up on the dash in my van, I use to recharge my ipad when hiking.

http://www.dx.com/p/1ba-2-10000mah-dual-usb-solar-...2cKGS9z_Jk

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is SOLAR! Shocked Very Happy Shocked What rock have I been living under, no wonder my students were laughing at me when I was oh so excited about this little battery charger, it was nothing compared to what I can buy!

Thank you!

tam
Sir Sam wrote:
I have this in a higher capacity, it lives up on the dash in my van, I use to recharge my ipad when hiking.

http://www.dx.com/p/1ba-2-10000mah-dual-usb-solar-...2cKGS9z_Jk

They ship to CANADA, for FREE! Cool

Making it special:
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't haul a laptop around but i do have a small flat tv(runs 3+hrs on it's batt) with 12v adapter & cell, Tom-Tom. Got a booster 4 xmas with the cig outlet 4 charging, has display to show % of chg & voltage left. I left pkng lites on once so i take it with me now, plenty of capacity 4 rechng.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
That is SOLAR! Shocked Very Happy Shocked What rock have I been living under, no wonder my students were laughing at me when I was oh so excited about this little battery charger, it was nothing compared to what I can buy!

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Solsti-Eclipse-Portable-Sola...ti+eclipse . It not only charges devices, but it can charge the van's batteries. It'll charge my iPod or dumbphone in an hour. There are multiple brands/wattages of folding portable solar chargers on the market.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through the last few pages here. I clicked off to check out what else has been going on on TheSamba when I realized the WISDOM, as in "know thyself" type wisdom...expressed in this thread's title.

Finally I shopped. So now I can shop more.

Tam, you really do shop! This is some funny stuff. Smile

Chuey
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kam, LOVE that! It's a bit more than I was planning on spending right now, but put it on my summer list! It does not have a battery, right? So it only works during the day (light)?

I've only started looking at Solar panels and don't know much, heading down the road for a new/larger fridge (that in house vs removable). Both require either a second auxiliary battery or solar panel, which is why I'm leaning towards a removable fridge b/c then I could get one that would plug into the shoreline (vs the truck fridge most get). When we go for more than a weekend, we generally stay at a place w/ power, so that option could save me a bundle for now.

Well now I see my grammar errors, hate that, had to fix them! LOL
kamzcab86 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
That is SOLAR! Shocked Very Happy Shocked What rock have I been living under? No wonder my students were laughing at me when I was oh so excited about this little battery charger. It was nothing compared to what I can buy!

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Solsti-Eclipse-Portable-Sola...ti+eclipse . It not only charges devices, but it can charge the van's batteries. It'll charge my iPod or dumbphone in an hour. There are multiple brands/wattages of folding portable solar chargers on the market.

Wow, thank you! It really is a different kind of thread, so nice to know others get something out of it too. My students always tell me I'm good for a laugh. Usually, I don't even know what I've said that was so funny, but what ever keeps them entertained! Laughing Laughing

Can you imagine the shopping damage I'd do if I lived in the US and/or could install stuff myself? This way I have to order under $150 at once and have to wait until I pick things up before I order anything else. And, then I have to wait for them to be installed, before moving on! LOL Kind of slows me down a bit! And, since I'm new here, you've all got a head start on the cool things that makes life easier, or are just fun! Plus, my 2 POS, did *nothing* fun, to my guy before I got him...

When I bought the Simple Green to clean my wheels, dh rolled his eyes at me Rolling Eyes and said, "was wondering how long it would take you to buy something for them". I'm a smart cookie and said, "huh?" So he said, "It *always* works that way, first you buy something, then you buy something *for* what ever you bought." Humph, he's onto me. Shhh Shhh Shhh It was kind of a given, buy wheels, get tires, little does he know I need tires, hardware, centre caps and a new Tire Iron. Will the old Jack still work? Is it tall enough for those extra few inches? Cause then I need a Jack too, though, AAA should have a jack, so not sure if i want to store a new, larger, better one!

tam
Chuey wrote:
I just read through the last few pages here. I clicked off to check out what else has been going on on TheSamba when I realized the WISDOM, as in "know thyself" type wisdom...expressed in this thread's title.

Finally I shopped. So now I can shop more.

Tam, you really do shop! This is some funny stuff. Smile

Chuey

Making it special:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: