Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally, I shopped. So, now I can shop more! [Build thread]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tam

That says it all right there.

RonC
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! It's been fun watching your shopping adventure.. Glad you found something you like!

Enjoy!!!!!!!! Cool
purplegodzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrates
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/P1020720.jpg
1985 Westfalia
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finding van!

For wheels, start keeping on eye on craiglist. I have audi a4 wheels on my 91 westy and my 86 weekender, I paid less than $200 for each set of wheels, and then a little bit of money to t2technique for hardware plus tires.

on my 86:

on my 91:

There are all sorts of nice wheels to be had cheap on criagslist, you just need to keep an eye out.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
Put a pop-top strut assist on your shopping list Smile

tam_shops wrote:
Pop-top strut assist on my list. Not sure I've heard of or seen that anywhere? Is that the same thing I read about for those w/ roof racks.

Same thing, but if you don't have a roof rack I sell kits with lower strength struts, makes popping tht op super easy, one finger can push the top up, and when you lower it it will stay wherever you want, really convenient for pulling the tent in, just leave the top up ~3", pull tent in, pull top closed.

See my signature for my website with more info on pop top lift assist kits Smile

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

See my signature for my website with more info on pop top lift assist kits Smile

Thank you got it! Sending PM.

tam
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe you bought a van with those wheels Laughing Congrats on the find.

tam_shops wrote:
Not sure I'll be able to put the pop top up/down myself? Can other small/short women do it? Is there a trick.

There are two tricks. Jackbombay's kit is #1, you already found it. #2 is to push the top up by pushing on the top itself as high as you can before trying to push on the bar. #2 is the only reason I haven't done #1 - yet.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
Congrats on finding van!

For wheels, start keeping on eye on craiglist. I have audi a4 wheels on my 91 westy and my 86 weekender, I paid less than $200 for each set of wheels, and then a little bit of money to t2technique for hardware plus tires.

on my 86:

There are all sorts of nice wheels to be had cheap on criagslist, you just need to keep an eye out.

You paid $200 for a set of nice rims AND good tires? I like that idea, but do you REALLY want *me* hanging out on the wheel/thread. Me? You sure? Drove several of you batty while I was just looking for an Vanagon b/c good wouldn't do for 2 of my 3 Mentors. LOL I'd better make them more cookies! LOL

I was told I had about a year before I need new tires. Not buying new wheels until I need new tires, in for a dime in for a dollar! LOL Will probably ask dh for them for my Birthday! Wink

Barry suggested these:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3606&category_id=&category_parent_id
[img]http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3606&category_id=&category_parent_id#[/img]

They look the same as the "CLK Mags from North Westy" Chris suggested, but have a different centre.

Wheels will be an entire thread if you've noticed how I make decisions. They need to be bigger/wider/sturdier/safer. AND, pretty. Adornment of some sort, in the middle. The gowesty ones have nothing in the middle. Are you supposed to add something?

I've noticed the wheels I like the most either have a VW or a Mercedes emblem in the middle. It finishes the wheel off. Makes them look cool!

I also am not clear on new vs 2nd hand. Why buy brand new alloys when the junk yard must be full of them from crashed cars. It's just such a waste!
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

You paid $200 for a set of nice rims AND good tires?

I paid $150 for wheels and got some tires with them. I paid about $50 for hardware to bolt them on. And ideally I would buy new tires. Thats still less than $700 for new tires and wheels. The first set I bought that went on my white 91 needed tires, so I bought them. The second set I got on my 86 brown has new front tires, and used rear tires, but they are useable.

tam_shops wrote:
Not buying new wheels until I need new tires, in for a dime in for a dollar!

I would advise against that, keep an eye out, if you find a good deal on wheels you like and can use in the near future grab them.

What if in the next month you found wheels you liked for $200 and passed? Then a year from now not only are you spending $500-600 on new tires but also $600 for some wheels you like because you cannot find anything cheaper.

You dont get to pick when good deals come through, you have to jump on them when they do show up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the great find. That ride is begging for some nice wheels. Laughing Not only would it look cooler, it would handle better too.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you TP.

Well when you put it that way...though, given the amount of money i spent today, shouldn't even be looking at wheels! LOL I *love* to shop the sales, currently waiting for a gowesty sale b/c I just missed the last, I need all kinds of things!

Thank you! You are right. Though, as for *good* tires coming on sale. I can't tell a good wheel from a crappie one. All I know is the Toyo tires I had on my car last time were supposed to be better in water (rains here a lot), only they were not. AND, despite being all seasons, they were useless in the snow. I *hated* those tires, problem w/ tires is you don't know until you try, then it's too late and you are stuck! Like my new tires, they're black. Wink Seriously, I'll have to read all 100 pages of that tire thread! Confused They used to be pretty on pretty rims until some idiot T-boned me on the highway and scratched them all up. Now I look like I can't drive. Hate that!

Sir Sam wrote:

I paid $150 for wheels and got some tires with them. I paid about $50 for hardware to bolt them on. And ideally I would buy new tires. Thats still less than $700 for new tires and wheels. The first set I bought that went on my white 91 needed tires, so I bought them. The second set I got on my 86 brown has new front tires, and used rear tires, but they are useable.

tam_shops wrote:
Not buying new wheels until I need new tires, in for a dime in for a dollar!

I would advise against that, keep an eye out, if you find a good deal on wheels you like and can use in the near future grab them.

What if in the next month you found wheels you liked for $200 and passed? Then a year from now not only are you spending $500-600 on new tires but also $600 for some wheels you like because you cannot find anything cheaper.

You dont get to pick when good deals come through, you have to jump on them when they do show up.
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

lots of deals on CL for rims

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/3508878137.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/3633485433.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/pts/3597704766.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/pts/3639104798.html
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bible BENTLEY sometimes appear used online sites, I got mine from another Vanagoner but you can also get them used sometimes. Also new ones but be prepared, they are expensive but are a must. Jack Bombay inside roof struts. Am exited for you. It looks like a Cdn Westy by the outlets on the drivers side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Sounds like you have studied TheSamba pretty well.

Now - more required reading Laughing - This Maintenance thread is just great! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457174

When the fuel lines are redone - use SAE 30R9 hose. They are not hard to do yourself. http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
You have to use the correct clamps.
and get rid of that plastic fuel line connector in the firewall - upper right side of the engine compartment. Use a linger hose & a grommet or a metal replacement http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1130_736/fuel_line_firewall_adapter.html
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Thank you! You are right. Though, as for *good* tires coming on sale. I can't tell a good wheel from a crappie one. All I know is the Toyo tires I had on my car last time were supposed to be better in water (rains here a lot), only they were not. AND, despite being all seasons, they were useless in the snow.

Good wheels are easier than good tires, finding used tires for the van on CL is hard, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. The tires need to be the right load range, and need to have usable tread. I would say that just expect that any tires that come on wheels that you get are just trash. You are buying wheels only. When looking for wheels its best to stick to audi or mercedes. You need 5x112, IE 5 holes centered on a 112mm circle. The second thing to look at is offset, and this varies quite a bit on wheels. The offset is often stamped on the backside of the wheels, so when looking at wheels you will need to know that information.

The Audi wheels I have on my vans, which are also for sale in that craigslist link, are 5x112mm, the set on the white van has an ET of 45, the set on my brown van has an ET of 37. The ET 37 wheels were much easier to fit than the ET45 wheels. BTW ET is German for offset "Einpresstiefe".

So yes there is lots to consider when looking for wheels, but once a week take a look at craigslist in your area and see if there are any nice clean wheels in the right price point for you.

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:

Good wheels are easier than good tires, finding used tires for the van on CL is hard, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. The tires need to be the right load range, and need to have usable tread. I would say that just expect that any tires that come on wheels that you get are just trash. You are buying wheels only. When looking for wheels its best to stick to audi or mercedes. You need 5x112, IE 5 holes centered on a 112mm circle.The second thing to look at is offset, and this varies quite a bit on wheels. The offset is often stamped on the backside of the wheels, so when looking at wheels you will need to know that information.

The Audi wheels I have on my vans, which are also for sale in that craigslist link, are 5x112mm, the set on the white van has an ET of 45, the set on my brown van has an ET of 37. The ET 37 wheels were much easier to fit than the ET45 wheels. BTW ET is German for offset "Einpresstiefe".

So yes there is lots to consider when looking for wheels, but once a week take a look at craigslist in your area and see if there are any nice clean wheels in the right price point for you.

You from Vancouver? I don't know what those numbers mean or what offset is? Embarassed Might need a picture for this one? All I know is my car wheels are 17" and I like them better than my mom's 16" ones. AND, don't ever buy Toyo tires again!

tam
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vweggie wrote:
Congratulations!

lots of deals on CL for rims

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/3633485433.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/pts/3597704766.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/pts/3639104798.html

Thank you, will all those support the SA big brakes?

Why are people getting rid of *good* rims? Bought prettier ones or could they be damaged?

DAIZEE wrote:
The bible BENTLEY sometimes appear used online sites, I got mine from another Vanagoner but you can also get them used sometimes. Also new ones but be prepared, they are expensive but are a must. Jack Bombay inside roof struts. Am exited for you. It looks like a Cdn Westy by the outlets on the drivers side.

Thank you Daizee! Will ebay come up w/ a good Bentley? I could do a search and it'll send them to me. Are there different editions? It is very expensive $80, though perhaps a good sale?

vanagonjr wrote:
Congrats. Sounds like you have studied TheSamba pretty well.

Now - more required reading Laughing - This Maintenance thread is just great! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457174

When the fuel lines are redone - use SAE 30R9 hose. They are not hard to do yourself. http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
You have to use the correct clamps.
and get rid of that plastic fuel line connector in the firewall - upper right side of the engine compartment. Use a linger hose & a grommet or a metal replacement http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1130_736/fuel_line_firewall_adapter.html

Thank you. Indeed, I studied TheSamba a lot. Some would say too much! Wink I'm a teacher though and I'd argue you can never study too much! Smile My hard work got me an *Excellent* one, which has yet to break down on me! Planning on keeping it that way! Cool

I could do the fuel lines w/ help, but I'm the nervous type, not touching them on my own! $200 to not have my new investment blow up on me is well worth it!
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Good wheels are easier than good tires, finding used tires for the van on CL is hard, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. The tires need to be the right load range, and need to have usable tread. I would say that just expect that any tires that come on wheels that you get are just trash. You are buying wheels only. When looking for wheels its best to stick to audi or mercedes. You need 5x112, IE 5 holes centered on a 112mm circle.The second thing to look at is offset, and this varies quite a bit on wheels. The offset is often stamped on the backside of the wheels, so when looking at wheels you will need to know that information.

You from Vancouver? I don't know what those numbers mean or what offset is? Embarassed Might need a picture for this one? All I know is my car wheels are 17" and I like them better than my mom's 16" ones. AND, don't ever buy Toyo tires again!

tam

Nope I'm in Colorado USA. I think I understand your confusion though, this person, who is selling wheels like I have, is also named Sam.

Wheels have an overall diameter, stock is 14", those audi wheels I have are 16" etc. Wheels have a bolt pattern, ie 5x112.

Thats 5 lugs, spaced on a circle of diameter 112mm. Jeep wheels for example are 5x114.3. thats only 2.3mm of difference but it means they won't bolt on. A ford F350 will use 8 lugs. Many toyotas 6 lugs. (lugs=bolts on the wheel).

These wheels for example are 4x108, they use 4 bolt holes on a circle size of 108mm, these would not bolt to the van:

People sell perfectly good wheels for many reasons, the vehicle was wrecked, they got some aftermarket ones, etc. I sometimes find wheels in junkyards and resell them on craigslist. There are several Audis being parted out on craigslist denver right now that have wheels that would work for the van. Sometimes you find a set of 5, other times you find someone who has a single unused spare tire and wheel.

This website is good resource, but isn't completely comprehensive:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/wheels/15-16-audi-wheels-5x112.htm

Generally 16" wheels will fit big brakes better than 15", but there are more tire choices in 15" in the proper load range.

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:

Wheels have an overall diameter, stock is 14", those audi wheels I have are 16" etc. Wheels have a bolt pattern, ie 5x112.

Thats 5 lugs, spaced on a circle of diameter 112mm. Jeep wheels for example are 5x114.3. thats only 2.3mm of difference but it means they won't bolt on. A ford F350 will use 8 lugs. Many toyotas 6 lugs. (lugs=bolts on the wheel).

These wheels for example are 4x108, they use 4 bolt holes on a circle size of 108mm, these would not bolt to the van:

People sell perfectly good wheels for many reasons, the vehicle was wrecked, they got some aftermarket ones, etc. I sometimes find wheels in junkyards and resell them on craigslist. There are several Audis being parted out on craigslist denver right now that have wheels that would work for the van. Sometimes you find a set of 5, other times you find someone who has a single unused spare tire and wheel.

This website is good resource, but isn't completely comprehensive:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/wheels/15-16-audi-wheels-5x112.htm

Generally 16" wheels will fit big brakes better than 15", but there are more tire choices in 15" in the proper load range.

Ohhhhhh, thank you! That I understand! Is the spacing written right on the wheel? You can obviously count the bolt holes.

Is that 4x108 wheel a 14" or 15" then, if it has fewer bolt places, but a smaller number, it must be smaller then. Or if it where the same size, with 4 bolt holes, then the number would be larger ie 120mm, right?

What about the width of the wheel? From outside to inside, that also has a number, doesn't it?

Will want 16" ones for big brakes. Would 17" ones fit? Too big, cause rubbing problems? It's make the van look bigger, more like a Syncro!

tam
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels you listed from gowesty are not "the same with a different center" as the ones chris suggests. He suggests (and North Westy as well, as well as many others) the Mercedes CLK wheels which are a forged wheel. They're very light weight and strong.
Generally available and easy to make fit.

The Gowesty rims are knock offs of a different mercedes wheel, and they are made by a chinese company using cast alloy. They're not a bad wheel, but you used to be able to get those straight from tirerack.com for WAY cheaper but Gowesty supposedly bought them all up.

As stated, pretty much any audi or mercedes wheel can be made to fit.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: