Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally, I shopped. So, now I can shop more! [Build thread]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Ohhhhhh, thank you! That I understand! Is the spacing written right on the wheel? You can obviously count the bolt holes.

The ET is usually written on the wheels and the bolt pattern is usually written on the wheels, but not always, audi wheels are good in that aspect because it is cast onto the wheel, so its easy to ID them in person if they will work, asking a craigslist seller to read off what is on the wheel can be a different exercise in frustration.

tam_shops wrote:

Is that 4x108 wheel a 14" or 15" then, if it has fewer bolt places, but a smaller number, it must be smaller then. Or if it where the same size, with 4 bolt holes, then the number would be larger ie 120mm, right?

I'm not sure what that 4x108 wheel is. The bolt pattern has nothing to do with the wheel size. New audis have the same bolt pattern as our 25 year old vans, but our vans use 14" wheels, and some new audis have 20" wheels. Keep in mind vanagons came with 14" steel wheels and 16" steel wheels, both in the same bolt pattern. Many VWs (like jetta) have a 5x100mm bolt pattern, which wont work. But some VWs have a 5x112, and many audis have a 5x112mm. So you just have to be careful when looking at used wheels on craigslist that you make sure they are actually 5x112mm and an ET that will work. As previously shown the wheels I use work just fine, the CLK forged wheels are popular, I have an older set of audi forged wheels on my syncro, so there are many options. And of course you can always by new from gowesty or van-cafe, but you can find nice audi wheels on craiglist used, and then buy the tires of your choosing, for half the cost of getting something "turn-key" from van-cafe:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1883

$1300 for 16" wheels/tires there, and I paid less than $600 for the setup with everything I needed on my white westy, but I also took my time and learned along the way what worked and what didn't. If you wanted to copy what I did it would be very easy for you, or you can copy what others have done and know it can work out easily.

So if you got a set of wheels like I have on my brown van, 16" Audi "Fat Five" 5x112mm ET37, you would need two 8mm spacers, one for each front side, and longer front lug bolts, and new rear lug nuts. To further confuse you now, different wheels use different lug nuts, some use small ball seat, some use large ball seat, some use acorn, etc.

To confuse you even a bit more, with my audi wheels the center hole is too small(this is typical on just about every wheel out there) so you need open up the center hole, and in my case grind down on the front rotor a bit, like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then put on a spacer(note that there are two spacers shown in this photo for the ET 45 wheel, but with the ET 37 a single 8mm is perfect)

tam_shops wrote:

What about the width of the wheel? From outside to inside, that also has a number, doesn't it?

Yes wheels have different widths, this is something else to keep in mind when fitting wheels, as generally stated the wheels other have used will be more proven to work. And a width that will not work on a 15" wheel might work for a 16" wheel. Most wheels come in around 7" wide.

tam_shops wrote:
Will want 16" ones for big brakes. Would 17" ones fit? Too big, cause rubbing problems? It's make the van look bigger, more like a Syncro!

tam

17" wheels can fit, but you have fewer tire choices in a 17" and they will be more expensive. They will handle on the road better(good), but transmit more bumps and road vibrations because there is less cushioning sidewall(probably bad?), and offroad or hitting potholes and such you are more likely to damage a wheel.

16" are good because they will clear bigger brakes, there are tires available in the right load range and for the right price, will handle nicely, and have sufficient rubber. Clearance can be a little tricky sometimes as the tires can rub the fenders if your van is low(my 91 is a converted westy from a passenger van so it sits lower than a real westy). My 86 is a weekender so it sits higher and doesn't have the same clearance issues as my 91.

15" are nice because there are lots of great tires choices cheaper than 16" or 17", they will be the smoothest ride with all that rubber. There may or may not be big brakes that fit with 15" wheels, some of those things are borderline. For you 16" would probably be a good choice, you will need to research plenty more before deciding.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Looks like a nice one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:

$1300 for 16" wheels/tires there, and I paid less than $600 for the setup with everything I needed on my white westy, but I also took my time and learned along the way what worked and what didn't. If you wanted to copy what I did it would be very easy for you, or you can copy what others have done and know it can work out easily.

So if you got a set of wheels like I have on my brown van, 16" Audi "Fat Five" 5x112mm ET37, you would need two 8mm spacers, one for each front side, and longer front lug bolts, and new rear lug nuts. To further confuse you now, different wheels use different lug nuts, some use small ball seat, some use large ball seat, some use acorn, etc.

To confuse you even a bit more, with my audi wheels the center hole is too small(this is typical on just about every wheel out there) so you need open up the center hole, and in my case grind down on the front rotor a bit, like this:

Yes wheels have different widths, this is something else to keep in mind when fitting wheels, as generally stated the wheels other have used will be more proven to work. And a width that will not work on a 15" wheel might work for a 16" wheel. Most wheels come in around 7" wide.

17" wheels can fit, but you have fewer tire choices in a 17" and they will be more expensive. They will handle on the road better(good), but transmit more bumps and road vibrations because there is less cushioning sidewall(probably bad?), and offroad or hitting potholes and such you are more likely to damage a wheel.

16" are good because they will clear bigger brakes, there are tires available in the right load range and for the right price, will handle nicely, and have sufficient rubber. Clearance can be a little tricky sometimes as the tires can rub the fenders if your van is low(my 91 is a converted westy from a passenger van so it sits lower than a real westy). My 86 is a weekender so it sits higher and doesn't have the same clearance issues as my 91.

Thank you for explaining that, in a way that makes sense and can be remembered! The different wheel lug size thing didn't confuse me, like a screw lots of sizes and shapes. Wink

If 16" will fit BigBrakes, should I want to go with them one day AND has a decent variety of wheel/tire w/ a good ride. I will go with that! No need to complicate things by getting the oddball size!

I liked the pros and cons you said w/ the 16" vs 17" sizes, trade off for everything! I can't wait to pay attention to that next time I borrow my mom's car 16" wheel, I've always preferred my 17" wheels on the highway. And, ironically enough, as you said, she's never complained about a sidewall problem and I've had 3 problems in the same period of time! I just thought I had all the luck! Rolling Eyes

Will check out some Audi ones at the time, but will probably go w/ the North Westy CLK ones. Could go over for the weekend, and get them put on and then return! I don't need tires for a year still, but will start looking in 6 months, or when ever my safety/repair list has all been done, hopefully I will catch a good sale!

tam
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Fantastic! Looks like a nice one!

Thank you! It's so exciting!

Phishman068 wrote:
The wheels you listed from gowesty are not "the same with a different center" as the ones chris suggests. He suggests (and North Westy as well, as well as many others) the Mercedes CLK wheels which are a forged wheel. They're very light weight and strong.
Generally available and easy to make fit.

The Gowesty rims are knock offs of a different mercedes wheel, and they are made by a chinese company using cast alloy. They're not a bad wheel, but you used to be able to get those straight from tirerack.com for WAY cheaper but Gowesty supposedly bought them all up.

Oh, thank you for explaining that! I don't mind a knock off, but I'm not paying the same or more for it than what it's knocking off!

Does Gowesty do that a lot? I've noticed their website is well set up and easy to find things, but a bit more money than some of the others. Is there quality in their stuff, or is a lot of it lower quality & high priced? Hate that!

Thank you again, everyone!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! As others have said change your fuel lines, I think this is the first and most important thing you can
do as a new owner of a van. Don't put it off until later down the road.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don'f forget the short length behind the firewall by the starter
it's obscured and buried by the coolant hoses but it's often overlooked and heat crusty from the exhaust underneath it. you service it best when you remove the failure prone nylon firewall fuel fitting.
Timwhy wrote:
Congrats! As others have said change your fuel lines, I think this is the first and most important thing you can

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
it's obscured and buried by the coolant hoses but it's often overlooked and heat crusty from the exhaust underneath it. you service it best when you remove the failure prone nylon firewall fuel fitting.
Timwhy wrote:

Thank you, do you mean short length of fuel line? Or is this another *thing* that needs replacing?

Tim, Fuel lines were done awhile back, but will get them done again, just 2nd round of work b/c he can only do so much on one day and I can only spend so much at once! LOL Unless that is still dumb, I can displace something else instead...
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Fuel lines were done awhile back, but will get them done again, just 2nd round of work b/c he can only do so much on one day and I can only spend so much at once! LOL Unless that is still dumb, I can displace something else instead...

Can you see what the spec is on the fuel lines? Printing on the hose?
Report back. Or take a picture and post it.

If fuel line/hose not up to a known spec, then replace before doing much of ANYthing else on the van. Its not good enoguh to have been done not solong ago if it is not quality line.

I'd put off tires, brakes, hoses, belts, seats, hubcaps Wink , etc until I KNEW the fuel lines were done and up to a known spec.

Lose the plastic fitting at the firewall and replace with a single piece of hose.. or spend more money and get the metal fitting to replace the plastic one.
But that fitting serves no purpose.. I chose to get rid of it entirely. I run a single line of hose there..

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Thank you, do you mean short length of fuel line? Or is this another *thing* that needs replacing?

Tim, Fuel lines were done awhile back, but will get them done again, just 2nd round of work b/c he can only do so much on one day and I can only spend so much at once! LOL Unless that is still dumb, I can displace something else instead...

The theme is We want you to enjoy your Westy for years to come! We never want to see pics of a burnt to
shit van here on the Samba, so do some searching here on what is needed for the fuel line replacement.
You'd be better off buying the parts from a FLAP as to get the overpriced kit from one of the dealers.

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

The theme is We want you to enjoy your Westy for years to come! We never want to see pics of a burnt to
shit van here on the Samba, so do some searching here on what is needed for the fuel line replacement.
You'd be better off buying the parts from a FLAP as to get the overpriced kit from one of the dealers.

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

I'll second the anti-burnt sentiment! I have kids that will be strapped into car seats back there! I'm not doing the fuel lines myself, going to *get* it done. I have a rule about not working on anything that might blow up. Electrical, drywall & plumbing no problem, and I sew too. Gas forget it, in any form!

Obviously you are saying get the fuel lines at the same time as the horn and 3rd brake, so done it will be! Though I thought my guy said he was buying the $100 GoWesty kit, is that going to cost me a lot more? I'm trying to buy the best quality for the least money I can right now! It needs a lot and I have no patience to wait for safety or mechanical stuff to get down. Fixing the rest of pretty will have to wait! LOL

tam
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't skrimp on fuel lines. Numero UNO importance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BC Westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures look great Tam! I just replaced my fuel lines this winter for the 2nd time. Did it just 5 years ago and they were already starting to crack. Cheap insurance.
1981 Westfalia 300,000kms
1982 Westfalia Cali Import 193,000Miles
1982 Westfalia (Auto) 205,000Kms
1984 Vanagon 306,000kms
1987 Vanagon GL 300,000Kms
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Very nice van ... Let the addiction and good times begin. Wink

Cheers,
Mike

PS ... Some more reading on wheel sizes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing)

I picked my wheels up off of eBay. New wheels but you need to know exactly what you need when you order them. They came out of the states and I got them for a much better price then I've seen them up here.

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
don't skrimp on fuel lines. Numero UNO importance.

Thank you Daizee, which fuel line kit does everyone prefer? I didn't mean I wanted low quality one, I read something about buying each piece, one at a time, which cut the cost down...

BC Westie wrote:
Pictures look great Tam! I just replaced my fuel lines this winter for the 2nd time. Did it just 5 years ago and they were already starting to crack. Cheap insurance.

THAT soon? If I'm going to have to do this every few years, I should learn to do it myself! Thank you! I was kind of wondering why he wanted me to do it again, when he'd said they'd been done before!

Syncromikey wrote:
Congrats! Very nice van ... Let the addiction and good times begin. Wink

Cheers,
Mike

PS ... Some more reading on wheel sizes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing)

I picked my wheels up off of eBay. New wheels but you need to know exactly what you need when you order them. They came out of the states and I got them for a much better price then I've seen them up here.

Thank you, will be sure to read that!

I've got to do my primary repair list, safety list and change all the fluids b/c it can't hurt and 2" trailer hitch, before I move onto tires/wheels!

I can't believe how excited my kids are about this! No WONDER I remembered having wanted one since I was a kid! LOL

tam
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right safety and reliability first then bling.

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety First!

2# Fire extinguisher. I didn't want to drill all new holes, but they didn't line up right, so now it's not on the floor all the way, which is irritating, so I'll wait until I see a 2.5-3# one that might fit better there:

It's a start in the right direction, anyway and my first official all by myself project! Wink It also reminded me I either need a new cordless drill or battery for it. I'd forgotten the cordless one was broken!

Next a new car seat for my oldest, my youngest is in his spare.

Seat on the left is a Frontier XT
Harness for a torso height of 20" and 65# (80# in the US).
http://www.westcoastkids.ca/qs/product/101/7063/321205/0/0

Seat on the right is the Evenflo Maestro
Harness for a torso of 18" and 47# (50# in the US).
On sale at Sears this week.
http://www.sears.ca/product/evenflo-maestro-combination-car-booster-seat/632-000111740-31011270C

I'm debating leaving the Maestro in and doing with out a spare vs buying a Graco Nautilus, on sale at TRU starting Friday:
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11577107
It will match better.

I fixed my clock!

Ok, I put a new battery in. I was going to try to fix the clock, but when I took the Radio Shack one off, noticed it had a slot for a battery, which I had, so in it went and back it went. I'll re-visit *actually* fixing the clock next time I have to take off that console for any legitimate reason. I can't help but think that one of the reasons nothing has really gone wrong with my van is b/c all the POs have just left it alone and not changed or touched *anything*...

Will have to get pictures of the LED bulbs added to the brake lights, new light covers in the back/front (they were cracked and one was leaking) AND the 3rd brake light. But, I didn't do that myself, so not sure it counts the same! Wink

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885

Last edited by tam_shops on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Safety First!

2# Fire extinguisher. I didn't want to drill all new holes, but they didn't line up right, so now it's not on the floor all the way, which is irritating, so I'll wait until I see a 2.5-3# one that might fit better there:

It's a start in the right direction, anyway and my first official all by myself project! Wink It also reminded me I either need a new cordless drill or battery for it. I'd forgotten the cordless one was broken!

Next a new car seat for my oldest, my youngest is in his spare.

tam

Tam,

Do you think the mount/holder for the fire extinguisher will hold the bottle in the event the bus is rear ended? It looks like it is just a regular wall type mount and not made to securely hold under much force. I'd hate to see the extinguisher get thrown right back into the rear seat area. Sad

Edit: This product says it has a metal vehicle bracket but I cannot find a picture of the bracket.

http://www.criticaltool.com/kidde-2-5-lb-abc-pro-l...p-46622701

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Tam,

Do you think the mount/holder for the fire extinguisher will hold the bottle in the event the bus is rear ended? It looks like it is just a regular wall type mount and not made to securely hold under much force. I'd hate to see the extinguisher get thrown right back into the rear seat area. Sad

Edit: This product says it has a metal vehicle bracket but I cannot find a picture of the bracket.

http://www.criticaltool.com/kidde-2-5-lb-abc-pro-l...p-46622701

Oooohhhh, thank you! A shopping I will go! Didn't really like that one anyway b/c it wasn't tall enough to reach the floor and it was said on the fire extinguisher thread that it could be bigger. Will see if I can find a metal bracket one at Walmart for less, otherwise order that one! THANK YOU! I don't want that in either of my kids' heads!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look for one that specifically says it is for mounting in a car. I'm not sure a metal bracket always will qualify for that....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show a picture of how you mounted the top tethers? Did you do it yourself? I would like to do one for my son's carseat, and I would love to see how you did it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: