Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally, I shopped. So, now I can shop more! [Build thread]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks! Can you tell I have a shopping problem? Wink

I *totally* agree, my youngest sleeps on that side and I can totally see him (he is super clumsy) smacking his head on that huge piece of plastic sitting there just waiting to smack your head on. I'll probably get some velcro and cover it w/ a pool noodle. It is the GoWesty belt and I do *not* like it:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3218&category_id=155&category_parent_id= it is fine for an adult in that seating position (with an added head rest). It is fine for a child in a booster seat. It will not work easily for a car seat that does not have built in lock offs (yours and all of mine). It will require a Locking Clip for a car seat with out built in lock offs. It will bring tears to someone in my family before the summer even begins. I'll let you know. If that panel ever comes off for any reason, that seat belt is going inside it.
rubbachicken wrote:
looking very nice there tam, your package will be on it's way tomorrow.
the rear seat belt, is there a way of hiding the reel, we need, but i don't want the reel visible.
it'll be in the way when we're in bed, i don't want mrs rubbachicken to hit her head on it, as she sleeps on that side.

3pt seat belt thread here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=20

Schematics of what I think you are asking:
BoneStock67 wrote:
I thought I'd revive this thread with a related question.
A while back I obtained both right and left rear 3-point seat belts, of the type to be installed as in the following diagram from the Bentley:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is, the belts are designed to mount near the floor and pass up through the mounting point on the D-Pillar. This is in contrast to the GoWesty belts, which mount directly to the D-Pillar. Check out the difference between MightyArt's and Envious' pictures earlier in this thread to see the difference between these two styles.

So the question is: Which is better? For the passenger side, the GoWesty arrangement is obviously easier to install, since it does not require removal and cutting of the side panel. But are there any benefits to using the Bentley arrangement? The three-bolt attachment seems stronger and therefore maybe safer. Any opinions? Are there any other advantages for either style on either the driver or passenger sides?

Hidden in here, but I think this is the other side of the Vanagon:
Steelhead wrote:
Decided to go with "factory" location, not because I prefer them, but because I had some salvage vertical mount reels already and didn't want to spend the $200 from GW for the D-pillar mounted ones. If these verticals mount ones worked on the horizontal, I probably would have mounted them directly to the D-pillar. The factory vertical mount (cavity) requires more fabrication and more prep (removing bench seat...PITA).

Will update progress in the next couple days.

It winds up looking like this:
Brungeman wrote:

You will need a seat belt bolt for the top link of the shoulder belt. It is an odd size, so you probably should source it from a parts vehicle.
here is a pic of mine from the back. The top link (by the curtain) is the place you need that special sized seat belt bolt. The bottom bolt behind the panel that connects to the "upsidedown T" bracket you are going to fab up can be a standard sourced grade 8 etc.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to me Canvas!

I either gave car seat advice to the right person, or brought cookies to my mechanic on the right day b/c a customer of a beautiful grey Syncro was replacing his 3 window GoWesty grey cotton canvas (b/c it has some marks and bleach stains on it) and it was given to me, in hopes I could save and re-use it. Thank you beautiful grey Syncro owner, if you ever want help with your car seats, I have the blue Vanagon and live down the street from the mechanic, happy to do an install check!
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2513&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Front

Back

Inside Back, worst of the bleach stains

My own cotton canvas is original. It had black mold all over the back (large spots at the top, small down the sides), after using every cleaner known to the internet, I used diluted Tilex, in hopes it'd get rid of it. It did and the dye too. So, I have bleach spots all down the sides and a patch too!

So, mine and this new one both have bleach stains. The new one has 3 windows, but is otherwise in newer/better shape.

I have to neutralize the bleach w/ Vinegar. Bleach is a base and bases continue eating things even after they are gone and washed off. So, long term, you get holes...There are also some marks/grease/dirt on the new to me canvas that I should be able to get out w/ some scrubbing.

Then, I have a few choices. First two are the smart ones and second two are not such a good idea, but I like the 3rd choice, fixing it best...

1) give it to someone else b/c this is a LOT of work and I have a working canvas and may not be able to put the new one on and then if I pay someone to install it, I may as well buy a new one. A new canvas is not in the budget this summer, perhaps next, it'd depend on mechanical needs. Wheels/tires are the fun for me thing I'm doing this summer!

2) install it as is and hope for the best and be positive. I know how to use a screw driver. I've upholstered chairs and it's the same concept. And, I'm not afraid to ask for help when I need it! Once up, I can use a fabric marker to fix some of the worst spots.

3) remove the dye and re-dye it so the bleach stains aren't obvious to match my Dove Blue Vanagon. RISK making it worse and/or un-useable. I did *not* notice the bleach stains on this canvas when he was taking it off. I actually asked why he was taking off what looked like a fairly new canvas. Once it was off and I saw it, I got why it came off, but it's still better than mine.

4) Use this or my OEM one to make a pattern and sew a new one. There is a lot of detail work, which isn't my favourite thing ever to do and I know while the end result will be better than what I have, I'll know each and every flaw and I'll probably want to make a 2nd new one. At which point, I should have bought a new one in the first place! LOL

Ideas, suggestions, experiences, from both those that have installed the canvas and those that have dyed anything, please!?

Thanks!

tam

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure this is the canvas I'm attaching:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2513&category_id=&category_parent_id=

It was gifted to me and way better than the one I had, so to work replacing mine I did go! Thank you kindly to the person that shared it! I got most of the grease marks out before putting it up. Missed the rust spots, suggestions?? Obviously decided to leave well enough alone as far as the bleach damage vs dye went, but have a matching special fabric pen that I'm going to try and touch up some of the worst spots with--at the back first. I asked a few of my sewing friends fix vs leave and everyone said, "let it be" before you ruin it and make it unusable or unsightly.

Hard at work! See now I missed a few of the winter mold spots. Not sure how THAT happened, I removed my mattresses and had some of that dry away stuff inside too!

Driver's side front corner

Passenger's side back corner, the flaws at their worst and still *way* better than the one I removed.

Side from the inside

Side from the outside

Front

And it only took me NINE hours to remove the old one. I saved it for a pattern b/c you never know when I may decide to try and sew a new one. Clean and bleach the top and inside. Then, attach the new to me canvas on the top. I've done nothing, nothing, not a thing on the bottom yet. I wanted to get the top checked before I did that b/c once the bottom is one, I'm pretty sure there is no fixing corners or anything else that needed adjusting.

tam

Making it special:
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

Front

You're missing a terrapod Wink
Did you follow any how tos for canvas removal and install?
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one misses anything around here! Indeed, one Terrapod and the side blinker were off, they're back on again.

I read *all* the canvas install threads here and on YouTube, mostly I followed the GoWesty instructions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASC9dZkfxbQ

The only thing I did differently is not taking the pop top all the way off, which if I were doing it again, I'd certainly take the top off. It was too hard and took too long working upside down all day.

I'm currently working on the front corners. NO idea how they did it so fast and easy, mine was *not* that smooth and took an hour! Shocked And, I'm not happy with it, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do...Take it apart and re-try or let it be. Will post pics if I opt to let it me.

I did it the way my guy said to, to the best of my ability. Top first. Bottom second. Top front, middle out. Top Back, middle out. Side back and other side back. Then, the same thing for the bottom. The top wasn't hard, but MAN is the bottom hard!

I was following the holes off the re-purpose canvas, if I'd been doing it w/ a fresh canvas, the tension on the top would *not* have been tight enough. I think the bottom may have been easier if I'd done it w/ a fresh canvas...

tam

Making it special:
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the minority that has the stapled canvas ~ anyone know of a video on how to do the staples? I'm curious as to how the tack strip etc. can best be installed...

I suppose its pretty similar to the screws, in how to keep the ends even etc., but a visual would be great! I would imagine that the hinges etc. are probably pretty similar...
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only thing I saw or read about Staples in the Westfalia:

Link

No idea what/which his first staple gun was, the staples in my both my guns are wider. And, one gun has much shorter staples.

There are a few threads here about it, you might have better luck asking if anyone has pictures.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=canvas+staple&search_forum=20

tam
tarandusVDub wrote:
I am one of the minority that has the stapled canvas ~ anyone know of a video on how to do the staples? I'm curious as to how the tack strip etc. can best be installed...

I suppose its pretty similar to the screws, in how to keep the ends even etc., but a visual would be great! I would imagine that the hinges etc. are probably pretty similar...

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta Da! After my guy did a check of my handy work and told me to tuck a couple places in a bit more. I started and finished the bottom!

THANK YOU to everyone that helped me do this by myself! It was your pictures, videos and write ups that gave me the nerve to do it myself! That and of course the free new to me canvas! Very Happy

Hard at work ALL DAY LONG AGAIN. So wish I was kidding. 9 hours yesterday + 6 hours today (though that includes lunch, 2 breaks to look up pictures and watch the gowesty video again AND I had to take the front door handle off b/c ODS (older dammed son--usually it's darling) having been told 3 times by dh and twice by me to leave it alone, continued playing with it until it actually broke. So, now that we were all locked out of the house, first I had to get us in, indeed, the keys for the back door were inside. And, the neighbour w/ keys was not home. The other door that I could get open was blocked w/ a huge pile of toys for charity. The entrance way looks like a scene from Hoarders. Once, I got ODS in, THEN, I had to remove the door handle. Then I took the handle off another door inside the house. So, that was a bit of a detour and rather funny hindsight, since I knew that door handle was on it's last leg. At any rate, since dh has not yet tightened all my screws for me, man muscle I do not have, it's only fair to count that time and call it done! LOL I tightened them all hand tight and/or half way tension on my electric screw driver. They're fine, but it never hurts to go over them again.

Side view of new tent and windows! All DONE!

Front view with the tent:

Front with Terrapod and side marker on. I'm now debating those dark ones w/ an orange bulb, but not sure they are as visible. No question they are way cooler! Cool Those Terrapods are so bright, people kept flashing their lights at me thinking I had a burned out bulb or something. It was funny in an annoying kind of way. My first set was from the original batch and while I checked the top/front for water leaks, I did not check the back/inside. I live in Vancouver. I emailed http://terrawagen.com/, he offered to ship new ones to my house (I live in Canada), but I was going to WA anyway, so had them shipped there. Faster and cheaper. So, I picked them up and made sure to get the entire thing wet this time, no problem. My guy put it on this morning. He also noticed how much NICER (if that's possible) the newer production ones are. Cleaner cuts. Fit better. Extra caulking on the back. Look GREAT. Daytime Running Lights for me, required here in Canada since the 90's. Cool Now, I just need a bull bar and new bumpers since they've also been selling driver's licenses since the 90's. No, I am not kidding. Crying or Very sad Idiots.

Making it work with my small hands, tools, lots and lots of tools. I lined everything up using the original holes on the canvas, stuck the awl in the next hole. Then, used a screw driver to start a screw in the current hole (it was still lined up from when the awl was in it from the last hole). It worked perfectly everywhere, but one corner. And, at the back, I pulled it a bit tighter in a couple spots to reduce wrinkles.

Halfway point. I added red numbers to show any visual people out there the pattern I followed. I did the front first. Then the back. Passenger side. Driver side. I went in the middle out. I also lined the fabric up, found an old hole (won't work for you) and then popped a screw in the hole (with out the track for that section), just to hold everything in place and keep it lined up. Worked well for me. I also did the one corner. Then, the other corner. And, like the GoWesty video suggested, I started a screw, then moved to the next screw, then went back and tightened that screw. But, unlike the GoWesty video, I did *not* tighten my screws all the way until I was done. it left the metal bar up in the air enough that I could peak under it to see if my screw was going where I wanted my screw to go. I also, went from the middle out in both directions vs the GoWesty video that suggested doing all of the right side, then all of the left side. Again, it worked for me.

Almost done! Driver's side is the last side that needs to be screwed down! Laughing And, all my favourite tools. My FlexBar bit that went onto my electric screwdriver, was by far the most helpful tool I used. I have a short ratchet screwdriver like the on on Amazon, but forgot it at school. So annoying, it would have come in handy! I also stuck a Philips #1 into my 6mm ratchet head. It wasn't magnetized, which was annoying, but worked well otherwise. Needle nose plyers for pulling the fabric farther under the track. I also used the awl to do that and a flat head screwdriver.

If you don't have one of these, buy one!

http://www.amazon.com/ProsKit-10-In-One-Flexible-S...river+head

The only corner I'm not happy with. I should have left well enough alone, but I'm not good at that. Shhh I am happier with it now, but scratched the heck out of it in several spots. Embarassed Of course it's not in the back where no one will see, it's the front passenger side. Probably should have started and practised on the back. It's the only part top and bottom, that did not line up perfectly using the original holes. I don't think I pulled it enough to start, then the pre-cliped corners didn't line up. So, I tried to cut them with my side cutters, it didn't work, so I went onto my pretty flower scissors, not strong enough. Hindsight, might still actually do it, I should have gotten some side clippers I have from my sewing room. Sad I can live with it. For a first time, I did a GREAT job. Dancing Applause Dancing

Threads I read before trying this at home:
Dave's thread was by far the best one, even though I was not installing a Bus Depot Canvas. It had the best pictures and most detail. Thanks!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548231&highlight=pop+canvas
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548231&highlight=pop+canvas

Of course I read all the information on the different tents, as a tent was on my list for after my bumpers, which is after wheels...so in the next few years. I really had my heart set on blue and hadn't decided between Sunbrella, Hemp (not mentioned as much, but great fabric) or cotton. Now that I have newer cotton, I can see how the lack of flexibility of Sunbrella would cause problems when folding. Even though my new canvas is tight, it's a bit more work to make sure it's not stuck anywhere.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565815&highlight=pop+canvas

Then, since I'm visual, I watched ALL the videos ever done on Youtube:

Link

I loved how creative this guy was getting the top off and if I *ever* replace my canvas again, I will for sure, with out a doubt, find 4 people to help me lift the thing off! And, I will bake them all cookies to say thank you!

Link

Beautiful Blue Canvas, but he did too much magic of tv for me! "Ok, the back is done!" Looks great, but huh, how?

Link

I'm glad I saw this video after I had already taken my tent off, or I wouldn't have dared to start. It *scared* me. This guy has got to have the worst luck going and had the best attitude. I would have cried! At any rate, you have to be *really* careful on the corners once you cut them (notice the gowesty video does not cut theirs?), it is a stress point (a lot of pressure) and a weak point (cut on the grain) and pull left and right at the same time and it doesn't surprise me that it would tear. Also, if you don't get the tension front to back and/or up to down right, I can totally see it tearing. I was lucky, mine did not. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30i7dZJIJ20
That guy mentioned staples, but I don't recall seeing him use a staple gun and/or seeing st

STAPLE gun used in this one, new to me, interesting:

Link

DONE!

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they from a E320 1998 Mercedes?
ebay says 2000-2003, but a FS add said 1998. Will eventually need a 5th one, so need to know! LOL

A210 4010602
7 1/2 J x 16H2

They need a wash. AND???

My $66 find! Smile

Fewest Scratches

Few Scratches

Few Scratches

Few too many Scratches

Now I need to fix the bumpy part on the edge of two of them. I searched Curb Rash:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=curb+rash&search_forum=20

I can live with the lost of lustre, but those bumps are both irritating and look bad. They'll blend in nicely with all the scratches in my paint though! LOL

I still want the CLK320s, but if I find them (often does happen when you give up), I can re-sell these for what I paid. $60 to the nice Toyota man that I think thought they'd fit on his Toyota Rav4 and $6 to the Border guard that was in a bad mood so charged me tax. LOL What ever to the $6, but I missed the start of my kids swim team meet b/c of the 20min to pay the $6. Rolling Eyes I enjoy my health care, I'll suck it up! Wink

tam

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a busy week, wheels are in the car, all ready to get the holes enlarged before school!

My lucky streak continues, last week I was gifted a Vanagon Bra and I've just finished repairing and altering it...Overall I'm happy with it, but just noticed the passenger side head light doesn't look straight, there is a spot I didn't catch the fabric on both sides (if I'm lucky it's on the same side!) and I'm not really sure I cut it big enough, but can't fix too big, so left it alone for now...

Iron on patch to repair two different holes. I picked the patch to match the back. I used the same patches I used for the original tent:

Teflon Sheet to protect the Vinyl:

Stating the obvious, if you iron Vinyl with your iron hot enough to make the patch stick, it will melt the Vinyl. Think someone beat me to it, there are two obvious tears (how does one tear a Bra? I don't want to add to the problem!), one was fine, but someone had clearly tried to fix the other and lucky for me gave up, as it's damaged there and appears to be melted!

Ironed back. Ironed front. Used Teflon sheet for both sides. Then, used my black fabric market to fill in the spots there was still some white showing. THEN, I used my 007 stuff I bought 15+ years ago and my Teflon sheet again, and pressed it again. Both holes are now repaired, you can hardly see them.

Here is the other hole and what happens if you try to iron Vinyl with out a Teflon sheet:

One way trip. Cutting the bra. I must admit I was surprised by home much work this project was. On the Vanagon. Try for size, mark. Off the Vanagon cut. Back on Vanagon, check if it fits....had to do it a few times before I was happy with it AND b/c my bra is old and had lived a good life, so it's a bit shrunken and small'ish, so the bra JUST fits and only if you pull it right in the right spot...So, at any rate, finally I dared to cut a big old hole in the Terrapodz spot! After that was done, I had to cut holes for the head lights. For some reason, my Bra had screen covering the headlights. No idea if that is legal, or not, but know it's not safe!

I made sure to line up the two preexisting lines/holes. 1 from the side marker and 1 from the lower grill. I wound up adding a bit ~1cm (2/5") more to the top of the grill section so it cleared the top of the DRL b/c if it didn't clear it there, it wouldn't go onto the Vanagon. The Bra is tight (anyway) and mine is old and more tight, those lights take up a fair amount of space and make it hard to add anything.

Altered and ready to try! I used 1" strips, folded in half. It looks like originally they sewed the strips in half, over the screen in most spots. I wanted to protect it and keep it hidden, so I folded the 1" strips over the top of the screen:

Done and ready! Fits great, though now I see that passenger side headlight needs to be fixed! Sad

Up close and personal, freshly washed and ready to go! It POURED rain on us this morning, hate that, so the roads were wet for the ride home and he needed a wash!

Also bought two new lights to try. Someone on a lighting thread here suggested them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00553X96Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RIYFGE/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought the Forever Black and Carnauba wax suggested on the cleaning thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=60

Will have to wait until next week to try them!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOIJXQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UNOYM/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tam[url][/url]

Making it special:
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

Up close and personal, freshly washed and ready to go! It POURED rain on us this morning, hate that, so the roads were wet for the ride home and he needed a wash!

Looks great Tammy! What did you use for material on the border? I plan on doing this to my bra as well.

I think the screen over the lights are to keep squished bugs off of them but you are probably good without it?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 1" strips of black fleece I happen to have lying around and I'm happy enough with it. My Bra isn't in perfect shape and was gifted to me.

What I *should* have used was 1" strips of black Felt, the colour, style and design of the fabric would have matched better. I also went around the screen vs just putting the felt on top, the way the original maker did. I wanted to support the fabric that i was cutting vs risk pulling to fit it and tearing it b/c I'd cut a corner (weak spot) in the fabric.

I didn't think newer bras had screen over the lights. Liked it b/c it would also help rocks rebound off (decreasing the chance my lights might break), but my lights (even though they have been upgraded) are not bright enough as it is, I didn't think screen over them would help me see at night and kind of thought it was a bit of a safety risk. So, off it went!

tam
Timwhy wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

Looks great Tammy! What did you use for material on the border? I plan on doing this to my bra as well.

I think the screen over the lights are to keep squished bugs off of them but you are probably good without it?

Making it special:
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tam, where did you end up putting the longer black LED fixture? I need a low power draw light over the sink and that looks promising...kinda like the swing-out feature.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it on the passenger side, at the back. The magnets are pretty strong, but I've yet to drive with it, so wanted it behind my kids' heads if it flies off! That way it'll fall on the back bed and/or would hit the back of their car seats.

It fits fine above the kitchen sink, but the metal strip on the driver's side is not as large, I wouldn't drive with it there, but when parked it'd be fine. The swing out feature is great, it also swivels. I've yet to use it while camping, but it looks great! Someone on a lighting thread suggested it. Seems to me it was a video. He also suggested the motion sensor one, I've yet to mount that one. Like how both are battery operated, so I don't have to cut, drill, or wire anything.

tam

tarandusVDub wrote:
Hey Tam, where did you end up putting the longer black LED fixture? I need a low power draw light over the sink and that looks promising...kinda like the swing-out feature.

Making it special:
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, not interested in drilling too many more holes! thanks!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:

Van Cafe sells a great LED Light Bar to replace the OEM florescent kitchen light: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2009_128/led-light-fixture.html

I got one and found the light to be a little bit "cold". So I bought some turn signal lens repair tape and put a few strips of amber on and now it's perfect! Super low amps and WAY brighter than the OEM light.

BTW… The light bar Tammy posted above is both magnetic and battery powered so… no need to "drill too many more holes". Check/read the link Tammy provided above.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jerry, do you have pictures of your light installed and on? Did it cover the original holes and/or did you have to drill new ones?

My brain, I mean Vanagon, gets really upset when I drill holes. Remember that stalling problem I had, pretty sure it was linked to the Fire Extinguisher installation. And, it didn't stop until I bought new shoes, I mean wheels. Wink It's very temperamental, maybe I'm wrong to call it a him. LOL

tam
ThankYouJerry wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

Van Cafe sells a great LED Light Bar to replace the OEM florescent kitchen light: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2009_128/led-light-fixture.html

I got one and found the light to be a little bit "cold". So I bought some turn signal lens repair tape and put a few strips of amber on and now it's perfect! Super low amps and WAY brighter than the OEM light.

BTW… The light bar Tammy posted above is both magnetic and battery powered so… no need to "drill too many more holes". Check/read the link Tammy provided above.

Making it special:
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of the OEM holes and only had to drill one new one into the plastic (about 1/8th inch or smaller). The VC LED light bar covered the other OEM hole and I never plan on re-installing the old OEM fluorescent fixture, so IMHO it was a perfect replacement (except for the cold vs. warm color Evil or Very Mad which I solved with amber lens tape Smile ). My 7 year old helped me install it Cool .

My Westy is in the shop getting a new trans and 1.8T Very Happy … when I get it back I can post some pix of the LED light bar.

BTW… another cool feature is that the bar pivots so you can turn it up or down depending on where you want to focus the light. In general it lights up the entire cabin much better than the OEM light.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
I used one of the OEM holes and only had to drill one new one into the plastic (about 1/8th inch or smaller). The VC LED light bar covered the other OEM hole and I never plan on re-installing the old OEM fluorescent fixture, so IMHO it was a perfect replacement (except for the cold vs. warm color Evil or Very Mad which I solved with amber lens tape Smile ). My 7 year old helped me install it Cool .

My Westy is in the shop getting a new trans and 1.8T Very Happy … when I get it back I can post some pix of the LED light bar.

BTW… another cool feature is that the bar pivots so you can turn it up or down depending on where you want to focus the light. In general it lights up the entire cabin much better than the OEM light.

Thanks Jerry! That looks like a good option. Can you install a dimmer switch with it? That might also help with the cold color.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

I purchased this from super bright LEDs awhile back - not sure how the pricing currently compares, but is indeed a great light, and it rotates too! I would recommend it for anyone wanting to ditch the craptastic factory light.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: