Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

a few questions before i install this fog light switch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: a few questions before i install this fog light switch Reply with quote

i received my fog light switch from Poland today and i just wanted to make sure that it is the correct switch? also which blank should i or rather which is the blank that would have been used for the fog switch? last question is what is this blank used for next to the headlamp switch? im going to get out to the garage tonight and get this installed.

thanks,
Justin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: a few questions before i install this fog light switch Reply with quote

74autobot wrote:
i received my fog light switch from Poland today and i just wanted to make sure that it is the correct switch? also which blank should i or rather which is the blank that would have been used for the fog switch? last question is what is this blank used for next to the headlamp switch? im going to get out to the garage tonight and get this installed.

thanks,
Justin

The blank space next to the headlight switch is for oem clock. Smile

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either 1 or 2 should work great and look factory.

Kudos to you for not just drilling a hole for some Walmart style switch!
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 74 I have mine located in your position#2. Looked more natural there. The last blank may have been for cars with gas heaters.

It has been a long time since I installed my switch but it is a three position switch. Off, rear fog and both front and rear fog depending how it is wired. I believe the warning light is a reminder that rear fog is on. You can wire to remind you that front fogs are on.
I wired mine for driving lights and no rear fog. If wired correctly fogs should go out when high beams are on. Also be sure to use a relay.
yours is correct for SB. Early Rabbit and Scirocco ones are identical except the icon is rotated 90 degrees and the part #. Rabbit ones start with 321 and SB ones start with 133. Hope this helps.
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all of you thats all the re assurance i needed. i agree with not hacking this car up i dont want to be the molester for any future owners. thanks for the wiring tip i will have to wire it up my own way since i will not have a back fog.

regards,
justin
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a back fog either. More common in Europe.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot #1 is used for the gas heaters when they were installed. So I would go with # 2 for the fog light. But most dealer installed fog lights used a toggle switch instead of the rocker switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
Spot #1 is used for the gas heaters when they were installed. So I would go with # 2 for the fog light. But most dealer installed fog lights used a toggle switch instead of the rocker switch.

Thanks for the insight, now when you say dealer install are you talking about an American dealer? Im wondering what the factory installed, if this was the correct switch?

Regards,
justin
charlie VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there have been a factory or at least a period specific switch for other models, like a '68?
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch i got was listed for a 72& up super beetle. That is all i know about fog light switches.

Regards,
Justin.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie VT wrote:
Would there have been a factory or at least a period specific switch for other models, like a '68?

No fog light switches were factory, all dealer or PO installed.
Most dealers would have just installed generic toggle switches, there is a brand new never sold 79 cab at a dealer on here somewhere which has never been on the road fitted with foglights, it just has a crappy Kmart toggle switch.

If you want something factory looking what I did with my bug before I found the correct 1303 super beetle foglight switch like the one in this post was use a Porsche one.

It matches flat windscreen beetle ones very nicely.
you can see it to left of my cigarette lighter.

The only time I've ever seen one as original fitment is on the 72 Oettinger convertible at the museum

vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel agen is right, it was a dealer thing, so it was a mix & match to what you would have had in your car,, The Porsche one is very nice! The Bus dome light switch is great also!!! That's what I have..
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if there was never a factory installed switch and only a dealer option what makes the switch i purchased the correct switch? And why is there a blank in the dash for a switch? Thanks for the input guys, i love learning about those crazy Europeans!

Regards,
Justin
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is for the gas heater, #2 for the fog lights, then #3 for defog and #4 for hazard.

1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74autobot wrote:
So if there was never a factory installed switch and only a dealer option what makes the switch i purchased the correct switch? And why is there a blank in the dash for a switch? Thanks for the input guys, i love learning about those crazy Europeans!

Regards,
Justin

So you want the long winded answer? Laughing
It was made for one very small market in Europe where it was compulsory for cars to have front and rear foglights, think from memory it was Denmark or similar so it was a very low production switch, took me ages to find one.

The dealers in mainstream markets like US wouldnt have chased up that switch hence the generic ones were mainly used.
74autobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
74autobot wrote:

Regards,
Justin

So you want the long winded answer? Laughing
It was made for one very small market in Europe where it was compulsory for cars to have front and rear foglights, think from memory it was Denmark or similar so it was a very low production switch, took me ages to find one.

The dealers in mainstream markets like US wouldnt have chased up that switch hence the generic ones were mainly used.

Ok! Thats a perfect explanation and makes more sense to me. So really the factory switch looks more out if place on the dash compared to the rocker switch you had previously had installed from a different vw. Well thanks for the schooling and i feel a little more purified today.

Regards,
Justin
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyvergnugen wrote:
Early Rabbit and Scirocco ones are identical except the icon is rotated 90 degrees

Which way was the icon rotated? For front fogs, the lamp would be aimed to the left.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking about the switch not the light, all the others used the switch sideways so the icon is the other way around

74autobot wrote:

Ok! Thats a perfect explanation and makes more sense to me. So really the factory switch looks more out if place on the dash compared to the rocker switch you had previously had installed from a different vw. Well thanks for the schooling and i feel a little more purified today.

Regards,

I think given the choice most people would want the stock oem switch, they match the other switches and don't look like a hack job.
I've yet to see an aftermarket generic toggle switch that looked nice and like originals.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
We are talking about the switch not the light, all the others used the switch sideways so the icon is the other way around

Joel, that switch that you have pictured there is actually up-side down (for the early Rabbit etc) is it not?

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:

Joel, that switch that you have pictured there is actually up-side down (for the early Rabbit etc) is it not?

Yep, so it would look pretty silly installed in a 1303 super with the icon sideways....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: