Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meanwhile in New Zealand
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Meanwhile in New Zealand Reply with quote

http://www.trademe.co.nz/560934874

One of ten Syncros in NZ apparently. Exclamation

Geoff
McLean VA Exclamation
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out that funky windscreen.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock chips are a very serious problem in NZ... And glass is crazy expensive because of it. Throw on the problem of Warrant of Fitness checks every six months and you will do what ever you can to protect your glass!

That would be a sweet rig... no doubt about it, but without a toilet and waste water tank in NZ you will be very limited to where you can camp. It is not as free and easy as here in the USA or Canada.

I have lived there a couple of times in the last 20 years and love it... wonderful place to live, especially with a van.

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windscreen - ah yes the gravel roads of New Zealand - they call them "metal roads". Think those roads are tough on windshields, try bike touring.

Add to the fact that Kiwi's are some of the nicest people, but there's a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hide split when they get behind the wheel. Not they are intentionally rude behind the wheel, it's more like they fly past at 100 km/hr. you spewing gravel and say "Poor chap, that's a steep hill to climb on a metal road with a bicycle" Laughing

I saw an around the world Bay that had a complete plastic windshield over the glass one, out about I'd say 3-4". No idea how it worked in the rain.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I get that it is a RH drive therefore slider on opposite side but note that the slider groove is also on the RH side which doesn't open or am I missing something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lots of nice wood detailing. Accents on the dash, too.

The table seems a little weird though. Looks like a regular cafe table, not the swing out/up ones I normally see on Westies or other vans. Custom job? I wonder if it's mobile or bolted into the floor...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original table in my Riviera was the same. A centre mounted post in floor. It was in such bad condition that I removed the floor mount and threw table et al out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually an English conversion - autohomes. Lots of used imports hit the shores of NZ, English and Japanese mostly I believe.
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boof1306 wrote:
That is actually an English conversion - autohomes. Lots of used imports hit the shores of NZ, English and Japanese mostly I believe.
Yes it is a standard Autohomes Karisma or Kameo, they are almost identical. They have no beds in the hightop. The Autohomes Komet had a higer roof, with beds. The Autohomes Kamper had a non-fabrikk insulated pop-top. Norway is one of wery few contrys they eksported to, so we have some LHD Autohomes in norway. Most of them where sold in northern-norway.
NZer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone chips are bad in NZ only partly because of the lose Gravel roads it is mostly due to the way that 90% of road surfaces or done there. Instead of using asphalt as the finish they use a method where hot tar is sprayed on to the road surface and then a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch stone chip is spread over the hot tar and then rolled. Inevitability not all of the stone chip is either stuck to the road or gets swept up and collected and when you fly past another vehicle at a combined speed of 200kmh (125mph) a small stone is going to do damage!
I lost a couple of windscreens from it! Not to mention headlights and fog lights!
Part of life in Kiwi Land!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: