Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bay window mods
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighttrain1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: 71 bay window mods Reply with quote

can someone please tell me about the best mods for a bay as in for handling and a little bit more reiability and grunt out of the engine ?

Any advice would be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better handling can be achieved by keeping your stock front end maintained. Having a roll bar, good tie rods, ball joints well greased beam ect. will help you quite a bit.

The following can be done without major disassembly-

A header/muffler set up will give you 3-5 more HP
You could bolt on some ratio rockers
34 pic 3 carb
Mechanical advance dizzy
Dual carbs

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will throw in on this..

Make sure the front end is all nice and tight. Nothing sloppy or loose. Making sure the torsion beams are good is hugely important. Good shocks all around (including the steering stabilizer shock), good tires, and anti-sway bars all help. Put your money where it helps you.

For good engine meat, I would say make sure go through it and make sure it is PERFECT tune, with good plugs, cap/rotor/points, and ignition wires. Look at all of the wires, engine cooling stuff, vacuum and fuel lines. If they are bunk, just replace them. If it needs a valve job or a rebuilt carb, just do it. Keep the valves adjusted every 3K and do it your self, so you will know that it is done correctly. Knowing how to time it correctly will also pay off.

Easier to do it at home on your own schedule, than in Fort Stinkin Desert, Nevada at 3 AM with a dim flashlight and just a pair of pliers.

Oh yea - buy some tools. They will pay for themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busrocker71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with both. i've got a 71 and im due for a front end checkup.
but for more pushin, i threw on some dual carbs, electronic ignition, new plugs wires, new cap, headers and dual qp's. i also perform a valve job every 3k. as long as you keep up on your work she will definately pay for herself. i cruz at 60mph no problem and have even been caught hitting 80! yeah...that wasn't pretty but still...
71's a great year...have fun.
omar
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nighttrain1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what i had planned after talking to my friendly mechanic.

heads are coming out and going to be worked over, empi 4-1 header and quite pack muffler, flywheel to be lightened, spark plugs to be replaced and all ignition leads. Also at the same time i was going to lower her down by about 3 inches all round. Oh yeah at the same time the engine is all going to be properly sealed up again by a new seal set.

This is all going to happen in the new year and supposedly will transform the bus into something totally different to drive.

Was also thinking of changing the carb but not sure on wether to go for twin 34 ict's or single 40idf or even a progassive webber on twin solex's, any ideas ?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nighttrain1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, just had a thought.

Instead of buying a new carb, i have a stock solex 34pict3 installed at the moment and was wondering the pro's and cons of re-jetting that ?

Also the picture you see on the left is roughly about 6 months hard work getting to this stage, but the bus was saved from the vw heaven (scrapyard) and i purchased it off a kid who did'nt know what he had for £200 (english). The wife is starting to wonder if she will ever see me again because i am normally doing something to the bus at some point.

Thanks for looking.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: 71 bay window mods Reply with quote

Gene Berg is a good source for new main jets that fit the 34PICT- 3. comes stock with a 127.5 jet. their no. is 1877 568 BERG. this probably wont help you get more power unless its running too rich or something. if your choke is disabled, and the carb is running rich, the bus will have less spunk after it is fully warmed up as compared to warmed up just a litttle.
130 is a richer jet, 125 is a leaner jet. more power can be had with dual carbs and headers... and ratio rockersONLY if you already have the dual carbs and header exhaust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busrocker71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974, i would recommend a dual carb set up rather than the webber progressive. i've got 34 dells and they run great. the kadrons are also a great choice for not too much bread. oh...how are you going to lower your bus? im interested in doing the same...would love to see some pics.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Busrocker71, I have a '71 bus that I'll unload REALLY cheeeeep. It could be made to run again ( currently has neither engine or tranny) with a good mount of work or it would make a great parts bus. I'm in LA. lemme know if you are interested.

thanks
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from an empi exhaust. Try a phoenix or bugpack.

IF you lower a bus, especially a camper, you will limit yourself as to where you can actually camp.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empi exhausts are crap!

I would add that it might be a good idea to pop off the front hubs and inspect/repack the wheel bearings. I did mine for the first time since I purchased my 68 and it really made a difference. Who knows how old the set you have in there is?

Mike

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busrocker71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i third that! EMPI exhaust is super crap. i had the 4 tip and it fell apart in less than a year. biggest waste of money and not to mention the headache of all the leaks. i went for the dual qp's with the header. i would suggest getting it coated and make sure that it's all sealed up nice and tight. you know you've got a leak somewhere if the exhaust starts turning white-ish.
bottomend, pm me about that 71...i might be interested after a look...thanks bro.
anyone out there with a dropped bay...i'd love to see some pics and info on that.
laters and good luck
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second that!! lets see and hear about some lowered bays!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

OGJHC Nevada chapter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: