Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a spare... I thought
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

This last week or so I've been putting the final touches to this engine I've put together with the great help of my friend Brian. I still have some work to do but the good news is the engine is running. When i started the carb was spitting alot of gas into the manifolds which wasn't good. After shutting the engine down, I placed a fuel pressure gauge on the line and found that the pump was pushing 7lbs of pressure. So I need to cut that down drastically. I had a rod I had ground down a year or so ago so installed it to find out what kind of pressure I'd get from it. Well it dropped it down to 5lbs which allowed to get the engine to run to a degree but not to the point where I can time it and tune the carbs. My intent is to grind this rod down to .150 mm to get 2lbs of pressure. I'll then get to timing and tuning the carbs then.

I may not get to it this week as I've been preparing for a doctors appt tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Afterwards, get a few things in order and pack for my trip to CA to see my folks. The weather is shifting and today was the first day of snow although lite. I'm sure it'll be nicer on the Monterey coastline.

All in all I'm happy with the engine build and how it all went. I'm hoping to get this engine dialed in and swapped by the end of the month. Here's a short vid of the engine running on it's own even though it's idling high... https://youtu.be/49rdiiY-Ru0
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Doesn't Summit etc make a fuel pressure regulator you could install for tuning purposes? Seems so 'Final' to be grinding down the rod.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

An alternative to grinding the pump rod down is to add a couple of pump gaskets between the pump and the bakelite base. That way if the pump ever quits, you can change the pump and possibly reset the pressure by adding/subtracting a gasket or 2. At least that's how VW set it up.
Also, depending on the carbs you're running, you'll want 2.5 to 3 psi, rather than 2 psi.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

My buddy and I discussed the pressure and we both think a 2lbs setting would be good. A 2.5 would be a good compromise and may go with that. We didn't talk about the gaskets though. We've also discussed adding a pressure regulator in the event we don't get the results we're after. I may go with that as I'm told this is the better option. More to follow...
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Haven't posted much lately but have been reading some build posts and nice ones at that. Glad everyone's doing great things with their rides. I'm just getting out from being under the weather and have been prepping the engine to do a swap and today being a nice 40 degrees, I decided it was time. So out withe the old and in with the new. I was able to find a few things causing some rough idling and I got them corrected along with the fuel pressure regulator which was put in place. Once I get the engine in place, I'll finish what I need to off. Here's a pic of the swap...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two things I plan on addressing before the install is to replace the driver side CV boot as it was damaged as a result of the cardboard-like air tube that came off it and just wore thru the boot. The other is to put some blanks in place where the entrance holes to the cabin are. I have some blanks cut so drill a few holes and get them in place to keep the critters out. Maybe by the afternoon, I can take it n a test run to get some components seated.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Look! A 'Glide! Cool

Very Happy

Did you continue to use the full enclosed air filter setup?
That was a sweet addition to this no doubt..
Using those little aircleaners that just sit on top of the carbs individually is cutting corners.

Love how you are using those bigger PDSITs.
Especially since you up-sized your exhaust,
it should run cool and for a long time..

Can't wait to hear your review of it.

2,000 RPM for the first 10 minutes,
Let cool, check valves for anything unusual.
2,000 RPM for another 10 minutes.
Dump oil, let cool, adjust valves.
Warm it back up, check timing, set carbs/linkage.
And TEST DRIVE!!!

Man,
I'm all giddy for you here 900 miles away.

Nice work, you ain't afraid to go for it, brother..

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Look! A 'Glide! Cool

Very Happy

Did you continue to use the full enclosed air filter setup?
That was a sweet addition to this no doubt..
Using those little aircleaners that just sit on top of the carbs individually is cutting corners.

Love how you are using those bigger PDSITs.
Especially since you up-sized your exhaust,
it should run cool and for a long time..

Can't wait to hear your review of it.

2,000 RPM for the first 10 minutes,
Let cool, check valves for anything unusual.
2,000 RPM for another 10 minutes.
Dump oil, let cool, adjust valves.
Warm it back up, check timing, set carbs/linkage.
And TEST DRIVE!!!

Man,
I'm all giddy for you here 900 miles away.

Nice work, you ain't afraid to go for it, brother..

Hi Clatter, the Glide is actually a dressed up Heritage Softail. I need to ride that thing more so it just doesn't collect dust in the garage like it did last year.

To answer your question, I'm going to be running my stock-mod'd air cleaner over the carbs. No little air cleaners being used for this effort. I'm hoping the modifications made will work out and my buddy Brian and I think this will be engine to run the hills out here. It's already gone thru the initial break-in so the oil has been changed. Have things set for a mild tune and get it on the road work pieces in and back to the garage for another oil change and adjustment. Hopefully I can get this on the road before noon.

The CV boot was swapped out and the only thing left is to bolt in the blanks for the heater boxes then wire this up, drop the battery and see what comes of it. Wish me luck...
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Man that engine looks clean! Nice work and thanks for the great threads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

I hope everything works out like you want it too. Only driving it will tell you for sure. I look forward to seeing more pics of your travels in it too. Cool
Looks damn good though. Very Happy Applause
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

I'm posting this info out there so another new person on their first engine build doesn't make similar mistakes like the ones I made today.

Today was a huge learning day. Not only because I was placing the engine back in the car but There were a few things I didn't know about and learned some valuable lessons as a result of my lack of not knowing. I'll keep things going as the events unfolded...
Engine in, sort of - I slipped the engine back in the bay and it didn't seem to seat all the way. I wasn't really sure why that was happening but there was enough threat on the lower bolts to get the bolt started and I tightened them down bringing the engine and trans together. I thought I had everything there sorted out so I wired the engine, fed the fuel line and attached the accelerator cable. All systems go! Lets fire this thing. The screeching squelching of some noise was going crazy and I shut the engine off. Not sure what took place, I double checked everything to make sure all was ok, loosened the clutch cable all the way and fired it again. There it was again! WTF is going on, I asked myself about 20 times as I revved the engine and the noises pitch got higher and lower with the revving. I shut it off and pondered what could be causing this noise to be coming about. Spoke with my Buddy Brian and explained what was going on. Throw-out bearing? clutch plate? clutch cable? Ah, he asked me about the center ring on the clutch plate. I looked at my old set up and it didn't have one. I browsed thru pics of the engine build and there it was -Damn center ring. I learned that the center ring are for early transmissions and needs to come off for the remainder. Well shit, have to remove the engine. Got everything removed and ready to pull the engine and it wasn't budging. In my frustration, I failed to remove the rear donut bolts. So there I was for an hour fighting and jiggling and pulling on this engine to get it to release and come off AND nothing. I could see the damaged I caused myself in the bell housing and I wasn't happy with that....

Finally I got up and leaned over and began to speak to the engine like it really understood what I was saying. At that point I noticed the bolts and my disgust set in. Humbled and tired, I pulled out a 13mm and began to loosen the bolts. Once I did that, the engine came out without a fuss. A lesson learned.

I pulled off the clutch plate and clutch disc. After speaking with my Buddy, I removed the center ring, and also cleaned up the splines on the clutch disc as they got a little messed up.

A lite file session and the disc was back in action. The throw-out bearing and the center sleeve were stuck on the trans and didn't want to come off...
https://youtu.be/rcpNZtNlzqE
After a lunch break and picking up a replacement sleeve, I got back to removing the bearing and the damaged sleeve. Replacement next to the damaged one...

everything was checked and checked and rechecked and I began to put the clutch disc and place together. The sleeve and bearing were put back together and the clutch cable adjusted (need to adjust some more). The engine then slipped in much easier than it did earlier. Secured the engine and wired it up, attached the fuel line and accelerator cable. Primed the carbs a little and fired it up...
https://youtu.be/dgxxJb82He4
I know I have to do some adjustments to the linkage as I believe the factory setting are kinda out the door. Why? I'm using a different throttle body that's giving me a 26mm opening to the modified venturis in the carb. Once thing I have to go back and address on the carbs is to replace the tops. I'm getting too much fuel being dumped into to the opening. With a fuel pressure of 3lbs I don't think this should be happening and didn't happen with my OG set on the 1641...
https://youtu.be/fbwTuliTcT4
So much to learn and try to figure out. I haven't driven the car as I need to get the clutch cable adjusted and also I need a better idle. I never stop learning from this car even though the mistakes are mine or something unforseen. More to follow...
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Nice write-up.
Thanks for sharing real-world experience.
We have all been there; part of going for it no doubt.

FWIW, I have given up on running any pumps, electric or mechanical without an adjustable regulator.
Even that flying saucer kind with the numbers..
Go and get yourself one of those Holley regulators fromnyour FLAPS (or a Malpassi from ac.net)
It serves as a ‘splitter’ or ‘T’ to both carbs, and you can put a gauge on it to monitor actual pressure.
Stacking washers under a mechanical pump can be a crapshoot because once you get the pressure right it might starve under load on the highway.
Many electric pumps will give too much pressure.
Buy a good regulator, monitor it with a gauge consistently, and move forward.
Rant mode off.. You probably already did so...

Keep plugging away, brother. Tuning to perfection can be a long road.
Enjoy the journey. Remember you’re having fun!

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
I'm posting this info out there so another new person on their first engine build doesn't make similar mistakes like the ones I made today.

Today was a huge learning day. Not only because I was placing the engine back in the car but There were a few things I didn't know about and learned some valuable lessons as a result of my lack of not knowing. I'll keep things going as the events unfolded...
Engine in, sort of - I slipped the engine back in the bay and it didn't seem to seat all the way. I wasn't really sure why that was happening but there was enough threat on the lower bolts to get the bolt started and I tightened them down bringing the engine and trans together. I thought I had everything there sorted out so I wired the engine, fed the fuel line and attached the accelerator cable. All systems go! Lets fire this thing. The screeching squelching of some noise was going crazy and I shut the engine off. Not sure what took place, I double checked everything to make sure all was ok, loosened the clutch cable all the way and fired it again. There it was again! WTF is going on, I asked myself about 20 times as I revved the engine and the noises pitch got higher and lower with the revving. I shut it off and pondered what could be causing this noise to be coming about. Spoke with my Buddy Brian and explained what was going on. Throw-out bearing? clutch plate? clutch cable? Ah, he asked me about the center ring on the clutch plate. I looked at my old set up and it didn't have one. I browsed thru pics of the engine build and there it was -Damn center ring. I learned that the center ring are for early transmissions and needs to come off for the remainder. Well shit, have to remove the engine. Got everything removed and ready to pull the engine and it wasn't budging. In my frustration, I failed to remove the rear donut bolts. So there I was for an hour fighting and jiggling and pulling on this engine to get it to release and come off AND nothing. I could see the damaged I caused myself in the bell housing and I wasn't happy with that....

Finally I got up and leaned over and began to speak to the engine like it really understood what I was saying. At that point I noticed the bolts and my disgust set in. Humbled and tired, I pulled out a 13mm and began to loosen the bolts. Once I did that, the engine came out without a fuss. A lesson learned.

I pulled off the clutch plate and clutch disc. After speaking with my Buddy, I removed the center ring, and also cleaned up the splines on the clutch disc as they got a little messed up.

A lite file session and the disc was back in action. The throw-out bearing and the center sleeve were stuck on the trans and didn't want to come off...
https://youtu.be/rcpNZtNlzqE
After a lunch break and picking up a replacement sleeve, I got back to removing the bearing and the damaged sleeve. Replacement next to the damaged one...

everything was checked and checked and rechecked and I began to put the clutch disc and place together. The sleeve and bearing were put back together and the clutch cable adjusted (need to adjust some more). The engine then slipped in much easier than it did earlier. Secured the engine and wired it up, attached the fuel line and accelerator cable. Primed the carbs a little and fired it up...
https://youtu.be/dgxxJb82He4
I know I have to do some adjustments to the linkage as I believe the factory setting are kinda out the door. Why? I'm using a different throttle body that's giving me a 26mm opening to the modified venturis in the carb. Once thing I have to go back and address on the carbs is to replace the tops. I'm getting too much fuel being dumped into to the opening. With a fuel pressure of 3lbs I don't think this should be happening and didn't happen with my OG set on the 1641...
https://youtu.be/fbwTuliTcT4
So much to learn and try to figure out. I haven't driven the car as I need to get the clutch cable adjusted and also I need a better idle. I never stop learning from this car even though the mistakes are mine or something unforseen. More to follow...

Monte, I think some of your problems are from forgetting you have a slight mishmash of parts. If I remember right I think you've got a converted swing axle to IRS sub, and are running a late trans, or you're running a late trans that's been converted to a swing axle set up. I forget which, but looking at the trans input says late model. I had to explain that to my son, when we were doing his type 4 engine swap, as his clutch is set up for a 210mm flywheel (late), and won't work with his swing axle trans (needs that ring you mentioned). But, it was the motivating factor in doing his rear sub frame swap. You almost need to write some of those items down somewhere, so when you need to replace parts a few years down the road, you can look at your list and get the right ones. Steve will probably need to do something with all of the customization he's done to his own car.

I do agree with Steve, Nice write up, and sharing your real world experiences. Very Happy

P.S. If that's how much fuel your passing at idle, then you're definitely by passing the needle and seat in the carb(s). You might want to look at the float level before getting too far along spending money. Just a thought.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Nice write-up.
Thanks for sharing real-world experience.
We have all been there; part of going for it no doubt.

FWIW, I have given up on running any pumps, electric or mechanical without an adjustable regulator.
Even that flying saucer kind with the numbers..
Go and get yourself one of those Holley regulators fromnyour FLAPS (or a Malpassi from ac.net)
It serves as a ‘splitter’ or ‘T’ to both carbs, and you can put a gauge on it to monitor actual pressure.
Stacking washers under a mechanical pump can be a crapshoot because once you get the pressure right it might starve under load on the highway.
Many electric pumps will give too much pressure.
Buy a good regulator, monitor it with a gauge consistently, and move forward.
Rant mode off.. You probably already did so...

Keep plugging away, brother. Tuning to perfection can be a long road.
Enjoy the journey. Remember you’re having fun!

Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Monte, I think some of your problems are from forgetting you have a slight mishmash of parts. If I remember right I think you've got a converted swing axle to IRS sub, and are running a late trans, or you're running a late trans that's been converted to a swing axle set up. I forget which, but looking at the trans input says late model. I had to explain that to my son, when we were doing his type 4 engine swap, as his clutch is set up for a 210mm flywheel (late), and won't work with his swing axle trans (needs that ring you mentioned). But, it was the motivating factor in doing his rear sub frame swap. You almost need to write some of those items down somewhere, so when you need to replace parts a few years down the road, you can look at your list and get the right ones. Steve will probably need to do something with all of the customization he's done to his own car.

I do agree with Steve, Nice write up, and sharing your real world experiences. Very Happy

P.S. If that's how much fuel your passing at idle, then you're definitely by passing the needle and seat in the carb(s). You might want to look at the float level before getting too far along spending money. Just a thought.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the recommendation on the list. I've started doing that on another project I've started. Didn't think I needed it on this one but not knowing about the center ring on the clutch plate was an eye opener. I'll get a list together on this car now. Some experimenting going on with this.

I pulled the carb tops off and replaced them with later model ones as the ones I had on had the additional fuel valves in them. I also adjusted the regulator down to 2lbs. I'm not sure if I'm bypassing the needle in the bowl, but sometimes it feels as if there isn't enough fuel being shot down the venturi. Almost like a hiccup then a response

Since the throttle body is different and the short linkage length on the stock67 won't work. I lengthened them to get the throttle flap to sit flat. Made a slight adjustment to the screw and left it. The long linkage was adjusted as well but not that much. The air mix screw is set at 2 1/2 turns. Thought I'd leave that as is. My buddy Brian will be coming by this afternoon to give me a hand with trying to get thing tuned.

Hope to get a better response today... More to follow
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Well, the afternoon was spent valiantly attempting to get the carbs to sync and they weren't having it. The #3 just wasn't being responsive to adjustments and with the throttle body, we couldn't get what we were after. So onto option 'B' - Stock 32s from the 1641 I pulled out. Those will getting bolted in and sync'd tomorrow. We both believe this is going to work without issue but with an 1835, we know it'll be the bottleneck of the setup. Option 'C' - DCNFs Sad*edit*).

Had to try Embarassed Crying or Very sad ... More to follow
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Maybe send them to ‘volksblitz’ Or Blackline Racing?

If you have them clean and most of the hard work done,
They won’t charge you too much to get those things you missed...

DCNFs aren’t some kind of Easy Button.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

Since my last post, my engine was afflicted with what I would consider near catastrophic incident that just took the wind out of my sails. I've been patiently working on this thing with my buddy, paying attention to his teachings as well as ensuring I get everything right. Being it's my first attempt at building an engine I have a great mentor that pushed me along the way and ensured I wasn't making mistakes. To start I had a busted bolt in the case that had to be removed in order to secure the inner fan shroud. With the bolt piece removed, a stud was put in place. The nut that was on that stud backed itself off and caused an awful amount of noise. grinding, crackling sounds I didn't hear. This is about the time of my last post where I was replacing the carbs out. My initial though was that I accidentally dropped a washer or bolt down the carb and it found it's way in the cylinder chamber. I couldn't pinpoint where the noise was coming from. My buddy let me use his inspection camera and I pulled the plugs to looked down into the cylinder chamber with no bolt or washer visible. Next up was to begin a systematic tear down of the engine staring at the carbs and manifolds. Again, with them removed along with the tins, I had greater visibility but still nothing. I pulled the clutch plate and clutch disc, checking everything and looking for anything out of place. Since I had quite a bit removed, I grabbed the fan pulley and began to turn it until I could hear the scrapping, grinding. Pulled the fuel pump off and into the fan shroud I went, removing the belt pulley then the outer shroud. I hear a 'clink' and on the metal cart came the A$$hole nut I placed on the stud.
I removed the fan and there it was, stud I thought would help which didn't. So two small turns and it popped out. The threads in the hole were about non-existent. I re-tapped it with a 1/4" 20 pitch and test fit a bolt in there.
After spinning the fan and listening for any more unfamiliar sounds, the engine was re-assembled. I was also able to work on a leak of the main seal and hopefully that is sorted out as well. What a lesson to learn. All I can say is check check and recheck your work. The engine is running way better with my stock carb swap...
https://youtu.be/FtAz6DF6NdY
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I have a spare... I thought Reply with quote

On those little M6 screws that hold the fan shroud in place, I like to loctite them (with blue loctite) to keep them from backing out. After the first time it happens, it scares you, so you think about what you can do to keep it from happening again. I loctite the screws, but I've heard of doing that in addition to filling the pocket with silicone (I've never tried that). Since I started using loctite on them, I haven't had an issue with them.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: