Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg Westy Sewfine Upholstery Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the tips on the armrests...I finally got them on there. It was the only truly frustrating part of the project.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks to Tam and GreenMachine for the ideas. Trimming up the seams really helped.

So here's what I did:

I needed steam. Lots of steam. I went into the small bathroom in my house and ran the shower until it was a sweat lodge. Then I wrestled with the f&#kers until they finally went on. And, I think I lost five pounds in sweat.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Yow. Reply with quote

Gorgeous, Joe, gorgeous. We'll show off your new interior and Winston's new exterior at VW's on the Green. You'll be traveling in style!

Aren't the SewFine folks nice, too, though.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized the VWOTG is on the same weekend as Syncro Soltice. Bummer.

Seats look awesome, Joe.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Thanks everybody for the tips on the armrests...I finally got them on there. It was the only truly frustrating part of the project.

Many thanks to Tam and GreenMachine for the ideas. Trimming up the seams really helped.

So here's what I did:

I needed steam. Lots of steam. I went into the small bathroom in my house and ran the shower until it was a sweat lodge. Then I wrestled with the f&#kers until they finally went on. And, I think I lost five pounds in sweat.

Looks FANTASTIC!!! Enjoy! You're welcome. So glad I could help for a change instead of being a leech sucking vortex of information asking dumb questions all the time! Wink

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Joe, looks fantastic!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Post!!
I appreciate you blazing a trail for me to follow.

I've just started venturing down this path, I talked to Carol on Wednesday.
She said she knows exactly what I need and is sending me samples. I am keeping my Original Beige door cards.

I have an 86 with the rotted beige corduroy covers a well.
Drivers seat, only 116,000 miles! +27 years of Sunshine!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Two Questions.......

What color fabrics were used on your seats, I'm guessing Espresso #253 and Natural #694?

You have a BusDepot dash box, can you post some photos of it and give some feedback on the practicality of it?
I've got "alligator" dash and am considering this as a possible "fix".

Thanks!
Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

My colors are Vanagon Tan Vinyl, Mocha Tweed, and Oatmeal Tweed. (I don't have the color numbers on my receipt, but those are the names.)

There are a few threads on the dash console. I got mine from Eurocampers.com and did a writeup on the installation here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495120&highlight=deluxe+dash+console

Here's another thread about it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161083&highlight=deluxe+dash+console

I like it. I dig having gauges there, and the little flip-out table has come in handy from time to time. It rattles a little bit and was a total pain in the ass to fit (lots of cutting and filing to get it right) but I think overall it's a good addition.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work.

I have a tangential question:

I'm beginning my SewFine upgrades, and wondered if anyone has any extra fastners for the sliding door panel ~ I realize this is a long shot, but several of mine broke really easily, and they want $50 for a new package and won't sell individuals...I've tried to match locally but no luck. I need 6.

Or, if anyone knows of an online match that would be great too...

Love the SewFine products. Very nice upgrades that match all the mechanical work we are doing!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean these things?

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_712_161/bumper_rubber_strips_clips_-_pack_of_10_clips.html

They have them listed for the bumpers, but they're the same as the interior panel clips.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, they look a little different. The sew-like top is similar, but the bottoms look different. Thanks though; I'll call them and see if they think they will work. Thanks!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used them on my slider panel and they work. Bus Depot actually shows several different varieties:

http://www.busdepot.com/vw/0/1/11/0/114?limit=all

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic ~ thanks much and I'll track them down.
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,
Looking good! We went with a similar SewFine combo for our van. Carol and the guys just did our sun visors, to match the dark espresso tweed. We think they look really nice. btw, the headliner is covered with Fender amplifier, blonde tolex.

'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneMachine wrote:
Hey Joe,
Looking good! We went with a similar SewFine combo for our van. Carol and the guys just did our sun visors, to match the dark espresso tweed. We think they look really nice. btw, the headliner is covered with Fender amplifier, blonde tolex.

Ah, the rare and wondrous "Fender Tweed Edition" Vanagon! Nice! Wink

Its making me want to do a "Pre-war Herringbone Edition"!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,
My van goes to eleven. Very Happy
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on the interior! Now my own Westy is getting so envious. hehe

This is great inspiration for my own interior redo, I have ok seats, but carpet, sunvisors, matresses up and down and dash is beyond horrible.

It's nice to see that these tan/brown interiors could actually look good though, as I've never seen one in person being new enough to actually look good.

Did you do any paint touchup before upholstery?
Sjwillis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeT:
Resuscitating this thread b/c I'm just about to embark on recovering the bench seat in my brown '86 westy weekender.

Now that you've had the sewfine material on for a while, what are your thoughts about durability?

I have two young boys who manage to get dirt, food and drinks into every single crevice of our van and i'm trying to decide between going with sewfine corduroy or something more utilitarian like Sunbrella fabric.

Any thoughts now that you've had yours in for a while?

1986 Wolfsburg Weekender aka Obi Van Kenobi
1972 MGB
2003 Subaru Forester
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjwillis wrote:
JoeT:
Resuscitating this thread b/c I'm just about to embark on recovering the bench seat in my brown '86 westy weekender.

Now that you've had the sewfine material on for a while, what are your thoughts about durability?

I have two young boys who manage to get dirt, food and drinks into every single crevice of our van and i'm trying to decide between going with sewfine corduroy or something more utilitarian like Sunbrella fabric.

Any thoughts now that you've had yours in for a while?

I can't believe it's been almost two years since I did this...

We've been on several long trips and I've had the Vanagon loaded down with people for tailgates, camping, loaded it with gear, helped people move, etc. My girls are 11 and 8 so they manage to spill things all the time as well.

The fabric has held up very well and looks as good today as it did when I installed it. I used a lot of Scotch Guard right after I finished it and re-sprayed it last summer. It's holding up very well. There are no stains on any of the upholstery.

The only area where I've had just the slightest amount of separation is on the armrests. The covers were extremely difficult for me to install, and I think the seams were stressed by me wrestling with them more than any normal wear and tear. (But that doesn't apply to you if you're only doing the bench.)

Along with taking more care on the armrest installation, the other thing I would have done differently is to replace the bottom foam on the front seats when I had them apart. The passenger seat is holding up very well, mainly I think because it's a GL seat (larger than Westfalia) and doesn't get as much use; however, the driver's seat (a smaller Westy seat) is getting a very slight sag in the bolster from my big butt sliding in and out of the van. I think that new foam would have been a better choice there.

As far as the rear bench, I reused the original foam and it's still good. The sewfine cover is very thick, quilted with a layer of foam on the back, so it made the bench much more poofy and more comfortable than it was before.

The quality of the fabric is top-notch. Kids jump up and down on it, adults pass out and quite possibly drool on it after concerts and other events, beers have been spilled, Juice boxes, etc., and it cleans up very nicely.

As others have posted, the folks at Sewfine are extremely accommodating and they do excellent work.

Oh--If you're doing two-tone on your bench seat, make sure you measure properly so that the back cushion and the bench cushion line up properly. If you fail, DJKeev will swiftly identify the error and call you out on his restoration thread. Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Sjwillis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha! great review. i'm totally sold on the sewfine. actually djkeev has offered to let me check his out first hand, if i find anything amiss with his, i'll be sure to send you a photo Twisted Evil

1986 Wolfsburg Weekender aka Obi Van Kenobi
1972 MGB
2003 Subaru Forester
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: