Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sirius satellite radio antenna
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: sirius Reply with quote

It's about time for me to revisit this antenna/signal issue. I purchased a pioneer x7500s sirius ready radio, along with a new german antenna assy. I hope to have reception similar to my new vehicle sirius radio.

They have the additiona Sirius connector adapter in stock at best buy too
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
As an ex-XM/Sirius subscriber for years... I can say beyond an unequivocal doubt that a bluetooth head and Pandora for $36/yr is FAR, FAR, FAR superior to XM/Sirius. Unless, of course, you live for Howard Stern or something like that which is exclusive to XM/Sirius. To each his own.

Not a big fan of Sirius, but it is ok for extended cross country trips. Does your solution require an internet connection via your cell phone? If so what sort of data use does it have streaming audio? What about when you are in an area with out cell coverage? Does it work then? What about on the fringe of cell coverage? Does it buffer?
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Pandora but key is cell reception. I live inside Yellowstone. From the small pocket at Old Faithful to the next pocket of reception is about 28 miles. Then from there to Bozeman about another 7o miles of no reception. Some areas of the country are like this and this is where the sat service shines.

Of course, the original question had to do with antenna for Sirius location. Thanks fo an alternative though.
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: sirius antenna Reply with quote

[quote="chimivee"]
adv rider wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wire then continues forward and under the luggage rack. Magnetic puck antenna lives under there.

I mounted mine similarly. Unscrewed the canvas retaining strip and fed the lead under. No problemo.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babba-Booy Babba-Booy Babba-Booy

Yo, Under the fiber rack Mr White.......................bitch.
southernsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is in the front center of the dash and Ive never had any problems
Chuckarlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock magnet antenna on the back hatch, running the long cable through the same gasket as the defrost wires. Then through the cabinets and under the carpet to the dash. Took maybe 30 minutes to run, the cable is just long enough.

Only reception issues I have are in tunnels or forests where vehicle isn't the problem.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:
As an ex-XM/Sirius subscriber for years... I can say beyond an unequivocal doubt that a bluetooth head and Pandora for $36/yr is FAR, FAR, FAR superior to XM/Sirius. Unless, of course, you live for Howard Stern or something like that which is exclusive to XM/Sirius. To each his own.

Not a big fan of Sirius, but it is ok for extended cross country trips. Does your solution require an internet connection via your cell phone? If so what sort of data use does it have streaming audio? What about when you are in an area with out cell coverage? Does it work then? What about on the fringe of cell coverage? Does it buffer?

No, it does not require an internet (wifi) connection. 3G or 4LTE service is best. I have an iPhone and a standard plan with Verizon and don't get charged for "data" when listening to Pandora. I listen to it for 40-60+ hours/month and my bill is always the same month-after-month. Buffering is "ok" when on the fringe of service. When there is no service I simply listed to music I have downloaded on my iPhone. Bluetooth (wireless) head units are AWESOME! I have an Alpine and couldn't be happier.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This location for the Satellite Radio antenna works great. It's not perfectly color matched but at least it's not Black.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
dwschwartz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: sirius antenna Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, this is how I ran my wire - under the pop top canvas' mounting rail near the left/front corner. Just loosen a screw or two enough to get the plug end through, then tighten back down. No drilling necessary. There is a good spot where there is a small gap in the rails - my wire runs right under this, so the aluminum rails can still lay flush and not stress the wire.

Just want to say think you for the 2013 post @chimivee. I'd been going crazy with the cutouts from my SiriusXM radio with the antenna mounted in the dash. Routing it in the way you showed has made all the difference in the world!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: