Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston Wehabilitated: Prologue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Processing... Please weight. Reply with quote

You all continue to gift me with excellent input. I am very grateful.

I will post some pictures of Assuan Brown vans with the dark rockers... I always thought it looked rather nice, and orange and black is a nice combination. At least in late October.

Shocked

FNGRUVN, as you can re-read (I know you read that thread 'cause you responded to it!) HERE:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505935

I pulled the entire top and the luggage rack, screamed, underwent vaccination therapy, shrieked, gibbered a little, then cleaned up all the gunk, cleaned OFF all the gunk, waxed. installed strainers and a new Bus Depot seal and eventually put it all back together. It took a spitload longer than 20 minutes! But it's done. I wonder how Winston would look with a black stripe where your white van has one not far below the windows... I may play with Photoshop. The arguments against the bedliner or black what-have-you on the rocker panels are cogent, I just thought it would look nice and be practical.

Currently I'm thinking Bus Depot for a 'Whole Van' except front doors seals kit, Van Cafe for the 'Front Doors' kit--and no chrome, I looked through my 'VW's on the Green' pictures and decided that no chrome looks at least as good--and GoWesty for any odd bits. Not entirely decided on that, I need to run the numbers. I'm not sure who sells the little pointy ends for the rain gutter trim, which I definitely want back on him.

Ponder, ponder... Muse...

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Processing... Please weight. Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

Currently I'm thinking Bus Depot for a 'Whole Van' except front doors seals kit, Van Cafe for the 'Front Doors' kit--

The Van Cafe Front Doors kit is very nice stuff--heavy, durable rubber. At least it looks that way sitting in a pile on my workbench. It's on the list, maybe tomorrow...

Good Luck with everything, Rob. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new Winston!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagens on the Green is coming up. Hope to see the new and improved Winston there.

GoWesty sells a nice German OEM fully retractable antenna. The reception is pretty good even when fully retracted.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the argument against the blackout treatment is pretty accurate in that it is often used as a low buck way to cover damage. On those vehicles its usually obvious its being used as a band-aid.

But lipstick on a pig doesn't condemn the lipstick.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A well sorted van with straight bodywork, new paint and new rubber is no pig. If done well it is a very nice looking combo. Either way you can't lose.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take plenty of "before" pictures to prove you weren't hiding anything. The only person you need to worry about is the prospective buyer. Everyone else can think what they want. I doubt Rob will ever sell Winston, so it's a moot point.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
I doubt Rob will ever sell Winston, so it's a moot point.

X2... Shocked Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: <After recovering from the faint> Reply with quote

SELL WINSTON?

Shocked

Nearly 3000 posts... All the work I've done... No, I'll be enjoying the fruits of my labors and expense. Not somebody else for the foreseeable future. But does this really look that awful?

Okay, the green tent really DOES look that awful. I took the pictures at VW's on the Green in 2011--I wonder where they got their full set of postal flares, which do look nice and could well end up going onto Winston.

Funny thing, they probably ARE hiding something. Their paint is ghastly, even worse than Winston's. But I thought and think the black rocker panels look pretty good. I thought that sort of thing looked good on the Honda Element.

Today I removed everything but the registration from Winston's internal storage. It took an hour and a half. I filled three large plastic bags, three plastic grocery bags, and two ten gallon storage bins with what was in the cabinets, bench, and map pockets.

Shocked

What's not there can't cause trouble. I walked around Winston and confirmed what new trim and seals I would need. All of it, except possibly the rear passenger's and driver's side central slider gaskets, which are still new. I'll see if I save more ordering a window kit or the rest of them separately to save coin.

The Go Westy upper window seals were loose again, the lower part I glued--if he weren't about to be painted, I'd glue the upper part too. The rain gutter trim I put on him just after I bought him has lost its ends. I'm not sure that the molding used for that wouldn't be available locally at a trim shop, doing the ends, where the rain gutters curve in to the front and back, is possible, I've heard, with heat--but I'm not sure how. Not sure of the antenna mod, also.

Called a car show about the bendable, rust-proof PolyArmor fuel lines, they said not only is it possible but it's practically mandatory and that I can use metric bubble flares (I bought the tool) and rubber connectors to join metal to the original fittings.

I need to use THE SEARCH or beg successfully to figure out what lengths of what I.D. line I'll need of the PolyAmor, which I will probably have to order.

http://www.agscompany.com/faq/10

I guess Winston's new windshield wiper nozzles will be these:

http://tinyurl.com/bqmejvq

And I need to process all your helpful and anatomically possible suggestions...

Shocked

I really very, very much, with some amazement and awe...

Shocked

appreciate the interest in what's going on with Winston.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let other people get in the way of what you want to do. It's your van. Do it up the way you like. I like the black at the bottom. You have to do it right, though. I think Line-X(sp?) is the brand most people like and it's not cheap. If it were me, I'd bring the line up to the bottom of that first valley and just do the front fender lip(not the bottom of the front door). You could always do it afterwards if you didn't like the look. This is one of those things that's a commitment. It will be really hard to undo this one.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: <After recovering from the faint> Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

This particular application does not look like a cheap band-aid for bad bodywork to me. All of the upgrades are tasteful and clean. Looks like they are a paint job away from awesome.

Really like those wheels too. The tent isn't my favorite though.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Pondering Ponderously... Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time comparing prices on body and window rubber... I think I'll be buying the lot of it from Bus Depot, who've sold me good seals, who have been good to work with, and who've offered that Samba Discount. Every little bit helps. Not sure if I'll get to the BIG order discount, but it's gonna add up on the body and window seals! I think I can re-use the Bus Depot seals around Winston's jalousies, they still look good.

Problematic stuff--NO ONE currently is selling the ENDS of the rain gutter trim, those curvy-point things. I recall someone mentioning that you could MAKE them from trim with heat. To economize, I'm considering going to a local trim shop (we have one on South Broadway) and seeing what they can sell me.

FNGRUVN, did you buy the fuzzy-channel guides from someeone and THEN use the 1/4" window felt from Home Depot strictly for the vertical fuzz on your sliding window rebuild? I did buy the guides from Van Cafe (whom I still love and from whom I will ALWAYS buy), just not sure if I need to buy the dedicated strips from our aftermarket or if I can use local hardware stuff.

Kenny Shock, who was SO helpful in finishing up with the Jalousies, has agreed to be my 'glass guy' on Winston. He's not sure he can save the windshield, I'll see what I can find here to help him remove it one piece and rebuild Winston's sole surviving sliding window. Must remember to get the sliding door cover beading and the escutcheon for the rear hatch...

KA-CHING! WHO EVER TOLD ME THAT OWNING A VANAGON WOULD BE EXPENSIVE!

Shocked

No word yet from Wheels of Time, but Wednesday would be the earliest I could drop him off.

Best!
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Allo Winston! Reply with quote

Rob,

I know, looking for that gutter trim finish piece is a real PITA. I also could not find them, and when I tried to "steal" them off my wife's old Bluestar they cracked. I used the GW aftermarket gutter trim to finish my Doka off and we ended up not using an end cap just make sure you have a longer length to bend; this is what it looks like:

I don't even notice it without knowing what to look for, so if you can't find it move on. BUT, if you do find a workable end cap, please let me know as I would throw down for some.

PS: I like the black rocker panels, even on ASS brown.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: The Final Countdown... Win(shield) or Lose... Reply with quote

Thank you, BMan, that's a useful picture and suggestion.

Final countdown--waiting for Les to call to bring Winston down to the shop. Worried they'll have a hard time shifting him. Knowing I'm over-anxious.

Ducked into Kenneth R. Shock's shop at:

Shock Glass
31 E. Panama Drive
Centennial, CO 80121
303-730-2729
http://www.shockglass.com

Kenny was cheerful and positive, when I told him he'd be replacing all the window seals but the two around the Jalousies (he knows those well) he was less worried about saving Winston's windshield. He knows how to use a knife. I also mentioned that he'll be rebuilding Winston's sole surviving slider window, still unsure if I can use standard window replacement strips or if I'll have to order some from our aftermarket. I do have the guides, thanks to Van Cafe. Anybody chiming in here would be appreciated.

I did tell Mr. Shock that if he thought it best, I trust him and Les, he could condemn Winston's current windshield. There are two poly-filled holes in the windshield, but on the whole it's in pretty good shape. I told Kenny I thought that the old factory glass was better, he was positive in saying, 'Not necessarily,' and the man really does know his stuff.

When Les and I talk over the van as I leave it with them, I'll place the orders for the body and window seals and really get nervous. I think I'll take, and post at least some, 'before' pictures down at Wheels of Time. Les might find them useful in replacing the seals, for that matter, although he's got my Bentley.

I'm like a nervous expectant father... This is the drive to the hospital. How long 'til someone walks in and says, 'IT'S A VANAGON!'

Shocked

Best!
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Final Countdown... Win(shield) or Lose... Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I also mentioned that he'll be rebuilding Winston's sole surviving slider window, still unsure if I can use standard window replacement strips or if I'll have to order some from our aftermarket. I do have the guides, thanks to Van Cafe. Anybody chiming in here would be appreciated.

I used this as a guide when I did my Camper Sliding Windows:
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/slider.htm

The frame need to be flexed open enough to let the sliding window out.

I did not find anything on after market rubber seals. I got new VW seals from Van Again. Call Ken and ask him if he has any in stock.
The 1/4 wide felt you can get at Ace Hardware.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: <After recovering from the faint> Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
But does this really look that awful?

Okay, the green tent really DOES look that awful. I took the pictures at VW's on the Green in 2011--I wonder where they got their full set of postal flares, which do look nice and could well end up going onto Winston.

I don't believe those are postal flares - those would be up under the door lip. These look like just more of the black paint/liner, or at best some plastic trim?

Best wishes for the extensive overhaul.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: <After recovering from the faint> Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
... I don't believe those are postal flares - those would be up under the door lip. These look like just more of the black paint/liner, or at best some plastic trim? ...

Faux-stal flares?
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob,

Sorry, I'm just now seeing your last two posts. The stuff that I've used in the past is made by M-D(idem# 04267). Home Depot had it down the weather stripping isle. It's a few bucks for 17'.

I think I found a decent replacement for the rubber slider window channel, as well. JCWitney sells it. They sent me a sample and I think it will work. GoWesty sells the strip for the front door glass, which is the same stuff, just shorter, but couldn't manage to get longer pieces to fit the slider.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the JC Page and part # for that run channel ? Are you talking about the upright runner that goes in the back of the vent assembly ? I've been trying to find that part . I am in the glass Biz and have not been able to find that through my sources . Maybe I can get the Manufacture part out of the JC ad .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: End of Prologue: End of the Beginning Reply with quote

Well, Les stayed busy, but I called him at 3:45 and he said to bring Winston down. Winston started on the first try, ran beautifully, and is now in the hands of Wheels of Time. Thank you all, VERY MUCH, for the great responses, on the sliding window and other topics. So very grateful...

Les and I had some time to work 'round Winston, I was very annoyed with myself for forgetting to bring my camera. I'll drop by the place and take some shots when I can. He found a few areas he'd missed in his estimate... That's promising.

Things to do...

1)Get the PPG paint code for Assuan Brown, we'll be going with them, I think. Wheels of Time has never done an Imron paint job, Les wasn't sure if they could meet the OSHA standards for applying the stuff.

2)See if I can find instructions here for pulling and replacing the driver's side rear window without removing the closet... I seem to recall that it's possible.

3)Collect into a PDF the instructions (thanks, especially, 70coupyel and FNGRUVN) for rebuilding the slider, so that I can hand those over to Kenny Shock. I'll need the parts. Can you give me more from J.C. Whitney?

4)Find out when Kenny pulls the glass, so I can see if ANY of Winston's window seals are salvageable besides the two 'round the jalousies. I should probably just bite the bullet and start over, but the wing window seals do seem very flexible. I can see what Kenny has to say. Winston's windshield, Les tells me, is NOT original--Made in the U.S.A. and tinted.

I did mention to Les about saving the newer seals and trim--those two 'upper window frame' seals I bought from GoWesty as a retrofit, and the rain gutter trim, which is still in pretty good shape. Just reusing it (SERIOUSLY GLUED DOWN!) is the cheapest option. I want to do all my orders in a single blast if I can, in the hope of hitting the Bus Depot big discount if I'm going to spend the money anyway.

Well... The prologue is over, he's AT the garage (I miss him!) and we'll see (and photograph) what happens next. Further updates as circumstances warrant.

Thank you all very much for the information, suggestions, and support.

Best!
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: End of Prologue: End of the Beginning Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Well... The prologue is over, he's AT the garage (I miss him!) and we'll see (and photograph) what happens next. Further updates as circumstances warrant.

I know what you mean. I should be picking up Otto from the shop this week after having him be in the shop for the last few months getting Syncro converted and repainted.. I'll be stoked to have him back!

Side note: I would recommend pulling the closet, especially if you're a non-AC Westy. Dropping the upper cabinet and kicking the closet out should take you an hour, tops.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had van withdraws. Hell I even had to buy a tent to go camping with no van.
It may seem like you have time to buy parts now. Time goes by fast and just dont get caught with you holding up Winston by not having parts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: