Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

I THINK I am about to buy a 1973 VW Campervan. Has been completely restored. 6000K and driver ready. It has been in storage during winter months.
This needs to be pretty much idiot proof for me. I will be travelling with my 3 kids 5,9,11. It will be our everyday vehicle. I like/love the idea....I am waffling with the practicality of it...but I don't want to miss the boat on creating this experience for myself and my kids. Any suggestions before I write the cheque?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people are getting into these old VW's these days and the bus is a lot of fun and offers the reward of overcoming obstacles and defiantly will test your luck and If you have a couple of your planets in the right house and so do the kids it's going to be great!

Oh by the way!
If your bus has that little narrow hammock up-top. In the pop up. Consider this for whom ever gets the assignment of trying to spend the night up there. It's like sleeping out-side and on top of a bus where when anyone moves down below you get rocked around quite a little. Not the experience for every kid.
Perhaps a good attached ground tent would be the way to go. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i12.pho...CDoQrQMwCA
benry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Luck and planets???? Yikes.
I really appreciate the feedback. It does have a hammock....sounds like it will be me up there.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy it for holiday/weekend get aways & adventures in the warmer months. This is not a daily driver for year round use where we live (poor heat,no defroster,rust belt....) and you won't fit in the upper hammock if you are taller than 5',weigh more than 150lbs.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only took 2 winters in IL and NH for my old 68 bus from california to start rusting. Yeah, and no heat sucks. You might be ok with it, but good luck with the wife.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the campers in a VW Bus definitely the way to go over a passenger bus. Works out well so long as there is not much un-stored gear. Try to limit every one except the wife to just 1 bag and store the rest into the cabinets.
These 1973's have a 1700 type 4 VW engine in them which at the time was boast to be a Porsche Engine because, Porsche was also using a similar engine in their 914 and 912's. Some claim the VW type 4 are the best air cooled engine VW ever put in their cars. These engines are to be found everywhere used and somewhat destroyed. Back when they were New we drove these busses with these engines without a second thought and never had any trouble, But now with the condition they are in these days what you find is they really need some expensive expert work done to be like they were when new. I think the Type 4 engine has yet to come of it's Own like the type 1 in the 1971 and earlier buses has. The parts for the type 1 are less expensive and their are a lot of good quality aftermarket modifications for them. But a Type 4 engine when "right" is going to last longer and be more dependable than the earlier type 1. By 1976 the type 4 engine had evolved to a much more powerful 2.0 Liter engine to which you can upgrade. The 1978's even had hydraulic lifters eliminating the need to adjust the valves all the time.
WI sportmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it this is not a Westy. If this is meant to be a seasonal camper make sure you have a place to store it indoors durring the off season with room to make repairs so you can use it when weather permits. Plan your major repairs when the snow flies so it is ready when the sun shines.

Don't mess with the DNR.
"Bargain hunter becomes the bargain hunted."
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to have to say this, but you're going to learn a powerful lesson if you buy that and can't do your own work. Unless the seller is taking a major loss, this isn't a "totally restored" camper for $6K. It simply can't be done for that kind of money. You'll be buying a vehicle in driveable, not restored condition with any number of near-term mechanical issues. If you're prepared to learn to work on it yourself, you'll do ok, or pay someone else and your 6K will quickly turn into 8K, 10K ...

In any case, be sure to go over the body with a magnet to find filler and have a mechanic that knows old VWs inspect it before you sign anything. Make sure to have a compression/leakdown test on the engine despite the sellers claims that it's been rebuilt. There's a LOT of total clapped-out junk out there being pawned off on unsuspecting buyers. These things rust BAD and seem to attract patch-up "fixes" rather than actual repairs. Don't trust odometer readings without proof. The guy taking your money has plenty of motive to deceive.

The right buy is pleasure. The wrong one will punish.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
I'm sorry to have to say this, but you're going to learn a powerful lesson if you buy that and can't do your own work. Unless the seller is taking a major loss, this isn't a "totally restored" camper for $6K. It simply can't be done for that kind of money. You'll be buying a vehicle in driveable, not restored condition with any number of near-term mechanical issues. If you're prepared to learn to work on it yourself, you'll do ok, or pay someone else and your 6K will quickly turn into 8K, 10K ...

In any case, be sure to go over the body with a magnet to find filler and have a mechanic that knows old VWs inspect it before you sign anything. Make sure to have a compression/leakdown test on the engine despite the sellers claims that it's been rebuilt. There's a LOT of total clapped-out junk out there being pawned off on unsuspecting buyers. These things rust BAD and seem to attract patch-up "fixes" rather than actual repairs. Don't trust odometer readings without proof. The guy taking your money has plenty of motive to deceive.

The right buy is pleasure. The wrong one will punish.

Im going to take a guess that since the OP is from Canada and they didnt say $6K (6000) but 6000K (6,000,000) that they might mean six thousand Kilometers on the resto? I could be wrong and it could just be a typo though.
benry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things....I AM the wife minus the husband. I will fit the hammock easily and can do the work. Looks like I should keep my other car in storage tho. Thanks for the tips. More welcome. I will try to keep myself to one bag. Very Happy
benry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and 6000 Kms on the engine. 14 k to buy. Done by a certified mechanic. Sorry for the misunderstanding
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely came to the right place. There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here, and compassionate to the cause...sometimes to a fault with a militant point of view. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, eche_bus has really solid, if maybe disheartening advice. Take it.

I was away from these things for about 15 years, and coming back into it this past summer has been quite a reality check as far as cost and parts availability. I look in the mirror and see that I am aging, but when I look out on my busses, I am thinking like I am twenty three years old, and can get decent parts for cheap anywhere. It's a weird, skewed dilemma. I actually had to order and wait a week for brake line hoses. Shocked I just can't get used to it.

$12-15,000 is typical of what beautiful, solid busses and nicely redone Westys seem to be commanding on EBay this week.

Use the Samba search engine for help. One good thread topic that might help you is the Today in Bay Window hunting history...it's a 'sticky' thread, too. There is usually someone boasting about a "barn find", with the ususal assortment of critics loudly pointing out its faults, its promise, and heavily seasoned with off-hand, irrelevant commentary with a hint of jealousy.

Regardless, it's a neat thread to find where all the problems and hidden treasures lie with these beasts, as people point them out and discuss the merits of the most recent bus find.

Welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benry wrote:
Oh and 6000 Kms on the engine. 14 k to buy. Done by a certified mechanic. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Yes! Im glad I guessed that Smile
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion. Comin from a guy from the rust belt of western PA.

One of the Bays I own now, I had restored and painted 10 yrs ago. Not show quality but a nice job. I had to use that Bus as a daily driver for three years. By the end of the second year(4th yr into resto) the Bus was quickly showin signs of the PA saltways. Ten years after my first resto, I am shellin out $$ for a second resto. This one more thorough.

What I am gettin to is....as cool and awesome as it feels to drive a Bus every day, it just isn't a smart choice for your Bus and wallet. If you live in a dry climate area, different story. But Canada = snow in most cases.

As mentioned above, a compression test will tell alot about a engine...no matter how pretty it is. Back in my newbie days, I had a nice shiny engine too. But I didn't know it was a GEX boat anchor until just 7,000 into this "new" engine, I was needin a rebuild.

I am guessin since you came here, you do not know anyone locally who has Bus experience? I often get calls askin me to go look a Bus over. It helps to have some one who's been around them enough to look the Bus over and take it for a drive. Lemme be the second guy to say....unless you know the seller personally...don't ever believe the old "great runnin" ads! Cause unfortunately, most run like crap!

Not tryin to talk you down. Just keepin it real.

I suggest if you get a Bus...make sure you have another vehicle to drive in winter months and while the Bus gets repaired should it arise.

I say....either find some one local enough to look it over for you. OR go with a camera. One that takes video. Record the Bus startin up and idling. Open the engine hatch so we can get a good listen and look. Rev the engine a few times. Once holdin it at roughly 2000RPMs for at least 5-10 seconds. If there are any leaks in the exhaust, you will hear a few pops.
Take LOTS of engine pictures. Pics of under the Bus and inside.
THEN, inform the guy that you are part of a website that has 1000s of Bus owners world wide. That you just wanna get your friends' advice and opinions. Say it as non confrontational and nice as you can.

His reaction to the video, pics and mention of fellow Bus owners will say alot on how he feels on backin his sale.
Key all your Locks to one Key.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/333391253346965/

70 Campmobile, 70 Sedan, 71 SO-69 Westy, & 74 Westy

Last edited by SteelersBus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benry wrote:
A couple things....I AM the wife minus the husband. I will fit the hammock easily and can do the work.

Good Girl ! Very Happy

You have been given some great advice already but take it from another Bus owner who lives in an area that has even less of a "winter" then you do...
Buses are fantastic vehicles, even daily ones...during the OTHER three seasons of the year. Cool

If you want to join the fold, awesome...but make sure you have at the very least a winter beater...something you don't care about rusting away in the road salt.

Schwing wrote:
Bondo is like make-up, it fools the eye from the ugly truth
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have three kids (I have an 11-year old) you need to make sure you are comfortable with the seatbelt situation. Probably just lap belts in the back - two for the bench seat and one for the jump seat.

Some people get nervous about not having full shoulder belts, especially dealing with kids.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benry wrote:

Ok, it sounds like a nice bus. What has been done to it?
Is it still a 1700 with dual solex carburetors as it came stock?
If so, have the carbs been restored and the shafts rebushed? If not they will never stay adjusted/sync'd.
Heads are rebuilt? New valves, guides, springs? These have a service life so new valves with 40 year old spring means it going to fail.
Line bored the case?
New cam and lifters or just reground?
What about the brakes? new rebuild calipers and rear drum?
Master cylinders is new? and the rubber hoses to the brakes are new not 40 years old?
Front windshield was pulled and the newish paint is under the windshield seal so it won't rust in a year.
Lots to look at for a restored Bus.
Love Toronto as I visit my brother in law there.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!!! This is fantastic! Thank you for all this info. Might just be that my pockets are not quite deep enough to fulfill the dream. The bus is in another province. I do have someone going to take pictures.
I will take all of these notes to the owner and keep you posted.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by chance after checking all the things listed and you decide not to buy the bus. Do Not give up looking. Shocked We need your 3 kids to fall in love with the Bus adventure which they will in about 5 min. after getting in a bus. I have a 13 year old who is going to keep the dream alive and is saving up for a Bus for his first car. Razz

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benry wrote:
Good morning!!! This is fantastic! Thank you for all this info. Might just be that my pockets are not quite deep enough to fulfill the dream. The bus is in another province. I do have someone going to take pictures.
I will take all of these notes to the owner and keep you posted.

Great second step!

I say if you're not too upside down on the monetary side and can verify the quality of the bus, go for it!

Are you planning on traveling the country, or just use it as a daily driver with some weekend camping thrown in?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: