Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter recommendations? Gear reduction options or Bosch
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Starter recommendations? Gear reduction options or Bosch Reply with quote

So, my 5 year old Bosch rebuilt starter on my modified 85 GL is on the way out. It's always had issues with slow cranking during hot starts, now the solenoid is working intermitantly, especially when my wife drives it.
Been looking for a long term fix.
The gear reduction starters will crank the engine slower, but have more torque, use less power, and don't have the hot start issues. GoWesty has a new version out that promises to be of excellent quality. Van Cafe is also selling one.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23528
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1681_244/starter_-_gear_reduction_style_-_mt.html

These are both pretty pricey, are they worth it? Any other options?

Not to happy with the performance of the Bosch rebuild, what's been successful for the rest of you?
85 Vanagon with 2.2L upgrade
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the WestyVentures version which is an adaptor and a stock VW starter from a A4, I think.

The other options such as IMI brand, I believe, "seem" to have issues after a time or just DOA right out of the box.

There ARE threads that discuss this very topic.

Did you look at those?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
optiks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the westy ventures adapter plate to use a MK4 Golf/Jetta ALH diesel starter and it has permanently solved any and all my starting problems

i would highly recommend it
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Check the WestyVentures version which is an adaptor and a stock VW starter from a A4, I think.

The other options such as IMI brand, I believe, "seem" to have issues after a time or just DOA right out of the box.

There ARE threads that discuss this very topic.

Did you look at those?????

Yes, I've searched. Found this and other links helpful http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-399813--.html
.....but since then, GW has come up with a new improved unit and I think the topic needs revisiting.
The WestyVenture plate combined with the cost of a rebuilt TDI starter still puts you at around the same cost as the Van Cafe and GW units. Anybody have experience with the new GW starter? The TDI Bosch starter is also gear reduction. What makes it better than the other gear reduction options?
Cranking speed?
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So IMI starters have issues? I thought Nippon Denso (the motor they use) was the best there is. http://www.goodvibesracing.com/moreinfo.php
Somewhat cheaper than the other gear reduction units, but if longevity is an issue, I'll stay clear.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems most will say the TDI starter is the best option.

I agree.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the GW version finally gives up(as all starters do) where will you get a replacement? Going with a TDI starter opens up replacement options down the road since they can be purchased through many sources.
Just a thought. Idea
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with a rebuilt Bosch from O'Reilly/Checker/Kragen/Schucks with the plus that it has a lifetime guarantee good at any of their locations.

If the TDI starter can be obtained the same way that would make it an attractive option too.

I like lifetime guarantees on ancillaries from nationwide chains. In the case of the alternator Autozone even lent me use of an impact wrench (pulley nut) so I could swap mine in the parking lot of their Albuquerque store.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcfish wrote:
.....but since then, GW has come up with a new improved unit and I think the topic needs revisiting.

I've had the "new improved" GW starter for about 8 months in my stock Syncro and have no complaints. Starts strong the first time, every time... But my experience is hardly a long-term testament.

I seriously considered the WestyVentures route. But for my 86 Syncro w/ locker, the procedure requires some additional work and parts to make it fit. So I went the "easy" route Embarassed after swaying back and forth on the fence. Otherwise I probably would have gone with Karl's adapter.

The GW unit has the wire connections positioned more accessible, the trigger wire relocated to the engine bay, and a through-bolt to replace the mounting stud to help facilitate installation/removal (the starter is longer and a tight fit on a Syncro). I don't know how this compares with the TDI starter and some of the accessibility benefits may be less important on a 2WD.

SyncroDoka's point about future availability is a good one and, for me, is the best argument against the GW starter. That said, I don't recall anything irreversible about the install, so you could always revert back or switch starters if/when the GW starter fails.

I have had bad luck with stock rebuilt starters, including my last Bosch "Premium" that was finicky from day one.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve had a GoWesty starter for about 5 years now and I had almost forgotten about it. That's because it has always worked. If it went bad on a trip, I could use any other starter because there were no modifications other than a wire as I recall.

This thread is the first time I had seen anything about a new GW starter. If it's as good as the old one, it would be a worthwhile expenditure.

Chuey
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW diesels have about 400 psi compression per cylinder more or less. The TDI when hot also needs to crank in excess of 250 rpm for the ECU to start fueling the engine. So, a TDI starter should laugh at a WBX engine during cranking.

I am ok with lifetime warranties as long as I am not replacing something every 6 months for the rest of my life.
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
VW diesels have about 400 psi compression per cylinder more or less. The TDI when hot also needs to crank in excess of 250 rpm for the ECU to start fueling the engine. So, a TDI starter should laugh at a WBX engine during cranking.

I am ok with lifetime warranties as long as I am not replacing something every 6 months for the rest of my life.

Good points about the TDI starter. Obviously it is up to the task.
Can't find any specs on it though.

The GW starter is geared at 4.44 to 1 at 1.4 KW of power (1.9HP).
IMI is similar, but only 1.3 HP @ 525 Lbs torque.
No info on cranking RPM.

Would to be nice to have real figures to compare performance on a chart.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not have a problem purchasing anything from GoWesty. Everything I have ordered has met or exceeded my expectations. If their starter is something they are recommending, I would take their recommendation.

You might email Karl at Westy Ventures and ask if he knows the specs, or you might look over at the TDIclub.com website. Lots of experts over there. I don't have a TDI starter at this time on my TDI vanagon. I am using the Bosch Reman Vanagon Diesel Starter. It was quite a bit smaller than the original vanagon diesel starter, so it may be a gear reduction starter as well.

I used to run a Golf Diesel starter on my vw racecar. Those engines were 12 to 1 compression and even hot, the diesel starter would crank the heck out of the engine. markw
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I would not have a problem purchasing anything from GoWesty. Everything I have ordered has met or exceeded my expectations. If their starter is something they are recommending, I would take their recommendation.

GoWesty highly touted their old gear reduction starters also, only to pull them from the market and start selling rebuilt Boschs due to reliability problems.
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good deal on a rebuilt TDI SR0408X starter.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?part...MgoduVUAsg

Only problem is the $92.00 core charge, I only have a Vanagon Bosch to send back...... you think they'll notice?

Any other bargains out there?
malibu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the adapter plate and then got a starter from a 2012 beetle from the junk yard. It was $55 bucks and when it breaks I will have a core.

http://www.lkqcorp.com/search-inventory.aspx
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malibus wrote:
I went with the adapter plate and then got a starter from a 2012 beetle from the junk yard. It was $55 bucks and when it breaks I will have a core.

http://www.lkqcorp.com/search-inventory.aspx

Malibus, I like your thinking. 2012 Beetle? That's a great idea to get a late model one from a junk yard. Probably very little use on it, as good as a $300+ new one for $55.
I need more info on what starter variations work on a 2WD Vanagon with the Westy Ventures adapter. If I go to a junkyard, what late model cars should I look for? Hate to buy a rebuilt starter and have to shuck out an extra $60 to $90 for a core I can't get refunded for.
So, is it just the SR0708X/709X or are there other "TDI" starter part numbers that work? When I looked up Jetta TDI Diesel starter from 96 on... I noticed that they come in 10 tooth, 9 tooth, automatic and manual versions. I know we need 9 tooth, what's the diff between automatic and manual versions?

Last edited by mattcfish on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info here http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 83-85 van the main starter wire is simply to small (and old).
It's half the size of 87+ van. Get a new 0 gauge wire before you install a new starter. Old weak wire will kill a new starter in no time (Grounded).

If you have an auto you NEED to install a new ground from starter to the frame on top of a new +.

Before blaming any starter and battery inspect that cable carefully.
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
On the 83-85 van the main starter wire is simply to small (and old).
It's half the size of 87+ van. Get a new 0 gauge wire before you install a new starter. Old weak wire will kill a new starter in no time (Grounded).

If you have an auto you NEED to install a new ground from starter to the frame on top of a new +.

Before blaming any starter and battery inspect that cable carefully.

Couldn't agree more Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: