Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'52 Panel scale model
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering wheel looks good!
How easy is it to change the colour to ivory?

Steering column OD is 32mm. Taken from a 54/55.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
I have an accurate stl file of the semaphore switch knob I can post to you, if it helps.

That's pretty cool! Do you have this setup at home? Yours is a filament type?

As far as the knob goes, I wouldn't need the file...but I could use just diameter and height dimensions...my final output will be 1/16 scale...so that knob will be SMALL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Pack wrote:
That looks awesome!

I don't know how far you want to go with the details, but you may want to pick a production date. The steering tube for example was skinny, then fat in '51, then skinny again as I read on here somewhere.

I think I'll stick with 1952. I am making extensive use of StatusVW's restoration images...BTW....I do not have access to an actual Barndoor, so everything I am making is based off of images, specs and documentation...and of course you guys!

As I was asked (not sure by who at this moment) about 3D model file availability when I am done, I just want to point out that FIRST AND FOREMOST, I want this to be a quality model. The original plan was to make masters in 1/16 scale from a 3D print, then cast resin and vacuform parts from those masters....which is ultimately cheaper for making duplicates. The other thing is that 3D prints have stepping and cannot get extra-fine crisp or really smooth detail (yet), so once I get the 3D printed parts, they will get the sanding, priming and final details that arent possible in 3D print...then I will make copies off of that. So it may be possible that this will eventually be a kit (for those interested). When it comes to that point, I am sure that I can offer a nice discount for those who helped me out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Steering wheel looks good!
How easy is it to change the colour to ivory?

Steering column OD is 32mm. Taken from a 54/55.

Thanks for the dimension!!!

Ivory? Like this??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Brake & License Lamps Reply with quote

Added these two little goodies to the rear engine lid. The brake lamp has a fluted lens, but in 1/16 scale, I have doubts that 3D printing can bring out that detail. Nonetheless, I modeled it. Looks convincing!

mcdronkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, magnificent modeling work! How long have you been working with SolidWorks? I'm learning polygonal modeling right now to complement my photography which proves to be a real challenge, but this looks much harder to me so loads of respect for that.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdronkz wrote:
Wow, magnificent modeling work! How long have you been working with SolidWorks? I'm learning polygonal modeling right now to complement my photography which proves to be a real challenge, but this looks much harder to me so loads of respect for that.

Thanks mcdronkz. I have been using Solidwoks since 2007. By far, it is the most user friendly 3D CAD software I have ever used. It is capable of some amazing results. I learned how to use it by following it's own included tutorials, and got the basics down in a few days of goofing around. Once you learn the basics, the sky is the limit!
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you seen the Blue prints site? ( http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/vw/page/9/ )
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/vw/1...cab_panel/

Very cool what have going here!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want one an its not done!!
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Patty B.: yes, there are many graphics at that site, but more or less just general arrangements. For this project, actual part dimensions will get more accurate results (wherever possible). Thank you.

@D-Train: Thank you. It will be a while.

ANyhow, I have been working on the dash pod and speedo. It's almost ready to post. Maybe today or tomorrow I will show it.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Dash Pod Reply with quote

Here is the Dash Pod. Missing is the dentent for the steering column and the mounting holes. The backside will be blended into the front frame, so I didnt worry too much about the countours yet, they will be defined later.

I am working on the speedo face right now. I actually made a nice representation of the Veigel Speedometer, but after a few trial printings in 1/16 scale, it is just basically a black dot, so I am simplifying the features so it looks "right" in 1/16 scale....when I get it into the 3D model, you will see it is very simple and vaguely like a Veigel, but oh well.

Anyhow, here is my latest update. I hope you all like it. Suggestions are always welcome!

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work.

My pod feedback (sort of nit-picky so ignore if you like):
The semaphore switch has more of a threaded ring that holds it in place:

Also the key slot is not a full slot left to right:

Also the hardware that attached the pod in place on the sides are bolts.
They look smooth in your diagram.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Update 3/25/2013 Reply with quote

Thanks Everett, your feedback is useful and welcome.

I have to remind myself that even those 1/16th scale is somewhat considered as a larger scale in model cars, many fine details cannot be reproduced...and those that are are just not visible anyway. Nonetheless, I will try my best to get visible details correct as best I can, and see how they turn out after 3D printing. I have a feeling that I will need to go back and manually add some details the get lost in printing. So here it is, the dash pod...revised and this time with the simplified speedo face. Remember also that this speedo face is a scaled version, made to "look right" when shrunken down 16X.

And here is a test-print onto clear film next to a US Dime...the sharp eyed folks will realize that the spedo face is reversed in this picture...also rotated.

Thats about all for now. I will revisit the steering wheel and fix the horn button, then off to building the chassis framework. Stay tuned!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!! Will u make a rhd version too?
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Update 3/25/2013 Reply with quote

das20v wrote:

The circle above the fuse holder is a cigarrette lighter right? If so, that is cool, but not stock. Just so you know.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Pack...are you sure? I got this out of the '52 owners manual, and referenced the part number from the VW parts list.

Anyone else have anything difierent to confirm this socket as factory original or not?
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Love it!! Will u make a rhd version too?

I am thinking about that already. If I make a kit, I might offer parts to make either LHD & RHD, it shouldn't be that difficult...dash pod, floor panel(s), pedals and steering box assy....or something like that. At least it isn't a full-width dashboard and center console, mirrors and the whole 9 yards. It should be do-able.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early dash pod 50-52, like you are going for, should have a radius for the steering column like shown on Tonny's site here:

Also, the "cigarette socket" is actually a DIN plug socket, so smaller than a US cig. socket, and aluminum in color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
The early dash pod 50-52, like you are going for, should have a radius for the steering column like shown on Tonny's site here:

Also, the "cigarette socket" is actually a DIN plug socket, so smaller than a US cig. socket, and aluminum in color.

Outside Ø20.87mm is what I have for the DIN socket, and have it set as an aluminum finish, but the picture I posted it looks dark gray in display for some reason. Does that size seem right? It should be a near exact dimension.

For the steering column, I will add the detent and mounting holes later when I set the coulmn into the pod. I don't have the exact geometry yet, so it is easier for me to make a cavity into the pod using the column itself (make sense?)...either case, I will get to that later, including the clamp bracket and bolts. I am eager to get that part done, but it's a hassle to go back and rearrange bad geometry if I get it wrong. I kind of mentioned this back on 3/22, but it is hard to explain. No worries though, I appreciate your input. [/quote]
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're way ahead of me. I never knew about the DIN socket. Glad I found out now before I stuck my cigarette in one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: