Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'52 Panel scale model
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry, thanks. I have some catch-up to do on the heads, and I also have to make the ignition tube mounts (I have the dimensions), as well as the crank pulley, which I also have the dimensions from Capriacci. If I get stuck, I will issue my standard request for dimensions. I am almost to the point where I can make my own dimensions based on associated features and alignment to other parts established in the CAD model.

Stay tuned! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything new das20v? Everything is looking great so far! Thanks...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Notch,

I do not have anything new at the moment. My free time resources have been swamped by work and family. I have a lot of measurements to model for most of the engine to get wrapped up. I hope to have an update for everyone soon. Thanks for asking and staying with this project. Much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all...

As this is the thread with THE most measurements I have ever seen... I figured this would be the right place to ask.

I am trying to get a definitive measurement for the offset of 36hp heads on a case. When I measure my case I come up with 45mm offset from left to right...
But my manifold (and those measured on this thread) the flange centres are 33mm offset...

I dont have a crank to measure... without ripping a motor apart...

Is the manifold less because it does not sit straight on the motor? this can't be right surely? or the inlet on a head is not central to the head itself... ie 6mm off making up the missing 12mm?

am I making any sense? Embarassed

EDIT : 38mm it would seem. If I am wrong then please do chip in
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing it in 1/16th scale, could a Revell AG '51 Beetle kit provide a donor engine?

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticman1432 wrote:
If you're doing it in 1/16th scale, could a Revell AG '51 Beetle kit provide a donor engine?

a beetle engine would have the wrong distributor, though

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cookiemonster131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIGGITY DAMN
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasticman1432,

The Revell engine would work, but it has the wrong Carburetor and a few other details. Aside from correctness, Revell's molding is a little soft on detail. My choice if I had to rob existing kit parts, would be the Tamiya 1/16 scale Kubelwagen engine. Molding of detail is crisp (the cylinders aren't siamesed together), and it does have many more correct parts, but you would need some things from the Revell kit to do it properly, such as the air cleaner, etc.

The goal here is to have an all-in one extremely detailed and accurate representation. I also want to use this design so it can be used in larger scales as well.
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Years everyone. A few minutes ago, I discovered that Revell is making a T1 Samba in 1/16 scale, to be released in September 2015. I don't know if it's a Barndoor, but it probably is. They released a new 1/24 Barndoor model recently.

Disapointing, because that was the goal of this project exactly, in 1/16th scale, before they even released a 1/24th version. If I had more time to work on this project, I could have completed this much sooner. I will carry on with finishing the engine at least, and go into making some of these available. I am sure the engine will be way more accurate than Revell's version, unless their designer has been following this forum!

On the bright side, I will be buying one in September for sure. I hope to have the engines available by then.

For my diehard friends that have helped me along (Capriacci, D-Train, Henry, etc.), I will have something for you too. Please be patient.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope u had a great new year and xmas too mate.

good to hear that there is a kit finally, but I dare say it wont be up to your standards, so ill be hanging out anyway..

im sure they will miss out on a lot of detail that you have been covering so far even in the engine..

either way I cant wait to see the 1st prototype!
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dion,
I hope you had a good Christmas and New Years as well. I will not let all of this engine work go to waste. The good news is that it can be used as a basis to replace any of Revell's kit engines, being Ghia, Kafer, or Bus, or Tamiya's Kubel, or Eduards Schwimmer (with some tweaks of course) but I have an even more grand plan for this that is not Revell related. Be patient, it will be awesome.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand plan??

Has Volkswagen Germany contacted u????
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

Any progress??

Hehe..
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

3 years have gone quick.

Is this still going to be going ahead?
Or has work life overtaken pleasure life? Haha
das20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

Hey D-train!

This project has been stagnant for all this time. However, new life will come soon. One of the holdups was unavailable technology at the time, due to funds needed to acquire such technology.

Fast forward 3 years, to just a month ago.

I now have a high resolution 3D printer, and have been experimenting with some detailed prints, to the point where I am confident that this will work perfectly on this project.

Stay tuned! More coming soon.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

Another 5 or 6 months.
Any updates?
I really like the work you were doing here.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

Any updates now?
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

i was thinking about this last week too.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

Das20v Last Visited: June 25, 2019.
Let's hope he is doing well.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Panel scale model Reply with quote

I'm curious abut updates also. This is an exciting model project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: