Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
'67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
supaninja
Samba Member


Joined: July 03, 2010
Posts: 4019
Location: houston
supaninja is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave the rad up front, your just not going to get enough airflow in back, the fan is only for when your not moving.
_________________
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/chucky1974/ninja.gif

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member


Joined: July 28, 2009
Posts: 185
Location: Northridge, Ca
Bliss13 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
Did you trade your notch for this?
Yep. I didn't have the love for, or dedication to the car required to spend the time and money I started to realize it would take.

[email protected] wrote:
I can guarantee you that Outfront didn't mount the radiator. But it shouldn't be hard to improve upon
Based on the sand cars they've built, I agree. I'm sure they would have fabbed some kinda cool billet pieces or at least powdercoated steal. Maybe they just handled the motor install. Is this a project you'd be interested in cleaning up?

kooldub wrote:
sweet "project"!! if you could post any pics of the whole set up, maybe how the hoses were run from the radiator to the engine, it would be nice to compare what others did and what not to do on my conversion.
I'm going to take some pics this afternoon or tomorrow.
_________________
1970 Sundial Camper
1973 SubaBeetle
1986 Vanagon Syncro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
POWER ON
Samba Member


Joined: March 20, 2007
Posts: 81

POWER ON is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMK if I can help, did a few installs here in Hawaii. As for Outfront, they do first class work and none of that looks like there work. Type 3 is one of the best canidates for Subaru swaps next to the Vanagon. "Old Speed" Russell, good to see your following up on the stuff too. Just about finishing the notch here also. LMK when your coming back to Hawaii, we can take your gang on a all Subaru powered VW cruise.
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chizucc
Samba Member


Joined: August 16, 2012
Posts: 281
Location: Los Angeles
chizucc is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
69SquareGuy wrote:
Did you trade your notch for this?
Yep. I didn't have the love for, or dedication to the car required to spend the time and money I started to realize it would take.



DAMN DAMN DAMN!!
_________________
1964 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543579
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member


Joined: July 28, 2009
Posts: 185
Location: Northridge, Ca
Bliss13 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chizucc wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:
69SquareGuy wrote:
Did you trade your notch for this?
Yep. I didn't have the love for, or dedication to the car required to spend the time and money I started to realize it would take.



DAMN DAMN DAMN!!

Man, this "abortion" stuff is just more my cup 'o tea. Haha
_________________
1970 Sundial Camper
1973 SubaBeetle
1986 Vanagon Syncro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member


Joined: July 28, 2009
Posts: 185
Location: Northridge, Ca
Bliss13 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POWER ON wrote:
LMK if I can help, did a few installs here in Hawaii. As for Outfront, they do first class work and none of that looks like there work. Type 3 is one of the best canidates for Subaru swaps next to the Vanagon. "Old Speed" Russell, good to see your following up on the stuff too. Just about finishing the notch here also. LMK when your coming back to Hawaii, we can take your gang on a all Subaru powered VW cruise.
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Do you have more pics of this rad installation? Looks really clean. So you relocated the gas filler so you could move the radiator further back. And is there a fan in front?
_________________
1970 Sundial Camper
1973 SubaBeetle
1986 Vanagon Syncro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member


Joined: July 28, 2009
Posts: 185
Location: Northridge, Ca
Bliss13 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooling system:
You'd never think this lurked under the front bumper. Seems like it could use some sorta screen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


The spare tire well was removed behind the rad for air flow:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Top view
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Fuel pump clamped to the beam. PO says with rad pipes above and below, fuel pump overheats and shuts off on hot days. Need to relocate
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I think these should be a lot tighter on the pan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Out back. Notice oil sump was cut and welded shorter:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


After looking at the engine configuration, it seems with some intake and alternator mounting mods, I could actually get this thing under the engine lid:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
1970 Sundial Camper
1973 SubaBeetle
1986 Vanagon Syncro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tramsdisciple
Samba Member


Joined: May 24, 2009
Posts: 109
Location: Cottage Grove, Oregon
Tramsdisciple is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sweet looking ride to say the least. The conversion needs to be completed in a professional way for it to be a true reliable driver. Good luck!
_________________
63 turbo ragtop bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545985
03 passat
67 sunroof squareback
71 bay daycamper
69 squareback fi a/c
04 toureg v8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member


Joined: October 27, 2010
Posts: 3069
Location: Australia
vlad01 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some improvements needed there for sure. what would be cool ( no pun) is to be able to hide the coolant pipes inside the tunnel or heater channels.

Or at least a protector cover that bolts to the pan then at least makes it looks like it was designed to be there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member


Joined: January 30, 2006
Posts: 16654
Location: Eugene, OR
Mike Fisher is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two radiators mounted behind the louvers on the rear fenders would be ideal.
_________________
https://imgur.com/user/FisherSquareback/posts
69 FI/AT square Daily Driver
66 sunroof,67,70,71,71,71AT,72,72AT,73 Parts
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supaninja
Samba Member


Joined: July 03, 2010
Posts: 4019
Location: houston
supaninja is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss another thing to keep in mind is most fans work better pulling the air instead of pushing it. I'm sure once you go through that thing and sort the install issues you'll have a sweet little driver.

I'll try to remember to post up a pick of the fuel pump bracket that cast for my pump. It turned out really sweet.
_________________
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/chucky1974/ninja.gif

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member


Joined: October 27, 2010
Posts: 3069
Location: Australia
vlad01 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Two radiators mounted behind the louvers on the rear fenders would be ideal.


there is no air ramming effect for that to work, unless you put on some massive scoops. you need positive and negative air pressure on opposing sides of the radiator for air to flow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
POWER ON
Samba Member


Joined: March 20, 2007
Posts: 81

POWER ON is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
POWER ON wrote:
LMK if I can help, did a few installs here in Hawaii. As for Outfront, they do first class work and none of that looks like there work. Type 3 is one of the best canidates for Subaru swaps next to the Vanagon. "Old Speed" Russell, good to see your following up on the stuff too. Just about finishing the notch here also. LMK when your coming back to Hawaii, we can take your gang on a all Subaru powered VW cruise.
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Do you have more pics of this rad installation? Looks really clean. So you relocated the gas filler so you could move the radiator further back. And is there a fan in front?

The filler is pie cut and welded in that position. The fan is dual puller and exits the back where the pan cover was. In front is the condenser for the ac which is blowing cold. I'll take more pics later. As for lines in the tunnel it will create a constant heater from the radiant heat. I tried that in my Thing but had to relocate the lines to under the pan. We had a easier time tucking the lines under the pan as this was a pan off project.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member


Joined: October 27, 2010
Posts: 3069
Location: Australia
vlad01 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously I meant with insulation of a high grade. I don't think anyone would attempt it without insulation on the pipes and additional on the tunnel itself as well would be good idea.

that pan setup looks decent, If it was me I would also fabrication mounting provisions on the pan and then get a sheet metal engineer to make a "factory" looking low profile cover, painted the same as the pan, so when you look at it, it would look like any other car with its chassis reinforcements, covers etc...

I actually have seen covers for a trunk of various lines and cables on some (on many new) cars which also have road splash water drainage cutouts too to alow these covers to let out water and breath.


it would benifit the look and protection of the pipes, also you can then insulate them without seeing it and this would benefit warm up times and should improve temp stability if thats even an issue?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
POWER ON
Samba Member


Joined: March 20, 2007
Posts: 81

POWER ON is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in tunnel piping in the Thing was insulated with high grade fiber glass insulation along with insulation on the tunnel. It was a great idea as for a clean set up but we could never get it to not feel the heat. I guess here in Hawaii any additional heat feels like alot more than it really is. The under pan set up also really didn't go with us but when layed up nice and tight it looks ok. As you can see the notch pan was in the mock up stage. Everything was than taken apart and painted with por15. Also much as we didn't want to alter above the front bumper with holes for radiator cooling we did to keep the temps stable. Temps were ok until the ac was tuned on. Then it the temps would start to go up. We incorperated a bay window front grill across the top of the front bumper than color matched the grill to make it look not too hidious. VW followers along with us would cringe at the idea but it had to be done, It came out ok too. All along with a Vanagon 090 automatic fabricated in and a STI 2.5 it's a fun ride. Dreams are to take it to the west coast one summer and drive it up and down the coast along with stops at Vegas and Arizona. It cruises 80+ without a problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notched
Samba Member


Joined: January 19, 2003
Posts: 2368
Location: Pacific Northwest
Notched is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

I'm speechless... This should be a "How not to install a Subaru motor" Good luck! Looking forward to pics of your progress!
_________________
Phillip Bradfield

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member


Joined: October 27, 2010
Posts: 3069
Location: Australia
vlad01 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POWER ON wrote:
The in tunnel piping in the Thing was insulated with high grade fiber glass insulation along with insulation on the tunnel. It was a great idea as for a clean set up but we could never get it to not feel the heat. I guess here in Hawaii any additional heat feels like alot more than it really is. The under pan set up also really didn't go with us but when layed up nice and tight it looks ok. As you can see the notch pan was in the mock up stage. Everything was than taken apart and painted with por15. Also much as we didn't want to alter above the front bumper with holes for radiator cooling we did to keep the temps stable. Temps were ok until the ac was tuned on. Then it the temps would start to go up. We incorperated a bay window front grill across the top of the front bumper than color matched the grill to make it look not too hidious. VW followers along with us would cringe at the idea but it had to be done, It came out ok too. All along with a Vanagon 090 automatic fabricated in and a STI 2.5 it's a fun ride. Dreams are to take it to the west coast one summer and drive it up and down the coast along with stops at Vegas and Arizona. It cruises 80+ without a problem.


you only need a small slot ( or holes, grille etc..) at the bottom under the bumper really, key is to have the radiator completely sealed off from front to back and you must have an air dam behind the radiator exhaust, this will make negative pressure at the back of the rad ( as well as under the car) whilst increasing positive pressure at the from. this unbalance makes the air flow in large volumes at even slow speeds.

there are a lot of cars back in the mid 90s with, for example500mm x 150mm slot under the front bumper and no grille keeping a 4L engine cool in the hot Aussie climate.

example. note, the radiator is not even inline with the intake, its actually between he head lights. it works because of the keys points I mentioned. There is a lot of physics to consider when designing a cooling system for a water cooled engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



And an example of it working effectively.

yes this is STi powered and yes there is a small opening in the front apron. Hard to see though, but thats good right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member


Joined: July 28, 2009
Posts: 185
Location: Northridge, Ca
Bliss13 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supaninja wrote:
Bliss another thing to keep in mind is most fans work better pulling the air instead of pushing it. I'm sure once you go through that thing and sort the install issues you'll have a sweet little driver.

I'll try to remember to post up a pick of the fuel pump bracket that cast for my pump. It turned out really sweet.

Thanks, the fuel pump relocation is one of the 20 things I'll have to do first! haha.
_________________
1970 Sundial Camper
1973 SubaBeetle
1986 Vanagon Syncro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member


Joined: July 28, 2009
Posts: 185
Location: Northridge, Ca
Bliss13 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notched wrote:
Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

I'm speechless... This should be a "How not to install a Subaru motor" Good luck! Looking forward to pics of your progress!

I don't know if I'd go that far. From what I've seen, this set up is fine "conceptually". It ain't pretty, but obviously effective. Almost every single super clean, high dollar swap I have seen over the last 20 years never even hit the street. This car ran reliably for over 2 years. I give the PO credit for getting it done with the skills he had at his disposal
_________________
1970 Sundial Camper
1973 SubaBeetle
1986 Vanagon Syncro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member


Joined: August 11, 2003
Posts: 1287
Location: Anacortes, WA U.S.A.
Nate M. is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
Notched wrote:
Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

I'm speechless... This should be a "How not to install a Subaru motor" Good luck! Looking forward to pics of your progress!

I don't know if I'd go that far. From what I've seen, this set up is fine "conceptually". It ain't pretty, but obviously effective. Almost every single super clean, high dollar swap I have seen over the last 20 years never even hit the street. This car ran reliably for over 2 years. I give the PO credit for getting it done with the skills he had at his disposal


It's all fixable (and should be). Just make yourself a list of everything that needs to be fixed/re-engineered etc and do one or two things every Saturday. You'll have that thing done right and back on the road in no time. Time spent pondering and contemplating your plan before diving in, is usually time well spent.

That's one cool project!! That thing has TONS of room for a turbo and water/air intercooler. . . It's the right thing to do and you know it!! Laughing
_________________
Regards,

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB