Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mig Wire Quality
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Mig Wire Quality Reply with quote

Can anyone tell the difference between Harbor Freight mig wire and quality brands? I can't tell, but I'm not experienced.

Thanks!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed any difference in the welds per se, but I can tell you that every roll of cheap wire I've ever used tended to ball up inside the machine.
Correcting that two or five times a day gets old fast.
Cheap wire also sometimes doesn't come off the roll properly, like it's been wound wrong. Several times I've had to cut wire out of way, wasting a lot of it, in order to get it working right.
But in a pinch, what are you going to do? Smile

Mike

bodywork isn't a fucking race.
spectral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing more frustrating than dealing with feed issues in the midst of welding.. for the extra $10 a spool go the good stuff Smile
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadianBug wrote:
I've never noticed any difference in the welds per se, but I can tell you that every roll of cheap wire I've ever used tended to ball up inside the machine.

Mike

I've ran several spools of HF and never had it ball up even once. Perhaps your liner was funky and your tension set too high?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIEN3T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Lincoln L56, a buddy that welds for a living said run it, works better for not so well prepped metal. But Home depot spools seam to be cheaper than Harbor Freight for me.
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
CanadianBug wrote:

Mike

I've ran several spools of HF and never had it ball up even once. Perhaps your liner was funky and your tension set too high?

Not likely. Tension is the first thing that ever got checked whenever it happened. Blowing out the liner as well. The last roll was so frustrating it got swapped out for quality wire after three or four ball-ups. The better stuff went though with no issues. I refuse to buy cheap wire anymore, even though it's typically half the price of the good stuff.
We're talking about a machine that typically ran through one or two dozen rolls a year. I wondered if maybe the wire was a different size, but they all measured out very close.
A friend who owns a fab shop says the cheap wire will surface rust and he figures that is what causes the problems.

Mike

bodywork isn't a fucking race.
Jeff_Birt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different qualities/types of 'good' welding wire as well. Most folks like the properties of ER70-S6 wire it flows well and is a good general purpose wire. There are thousands of different wire types for different type of material, work conditions, uses, specifications etc.

Places that make/sell high quality wire go to great lengths to insure the quality and uniformity of the wire, so you know you are getting what you pay for. The cheap wire is just that 'cheap', made by some no name factory in the far east with no traceability or guarantee of what you are getting? Your life will often depend on the welds you make, not so much for body panel patches but you get the idea. Do you really want to bet your life on a spool of mig wire because it was $10 cheaper?

If you buy a good quality wire from a reputable manufacturer you'll never be sorry you did.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just bought a spool of wire for my mig last week. I bought a roll of Lincoln wire from Home Depot, cost me about $12+tax. The same roll of chinese mystery wire from HF was $19+tax. I was surprised it was more at HF but Home Depot is closer to my house anyway.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking you mixed up flux core and solid. Flux core is $19, solid is $7-12.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=mig+wire

I've been having good luck with the HF wire, but I think I'll switch anyway..... Wink
Thanks for the response.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esab all the way

http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=374&product=ESA130TF43

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
I'm thinking you mixed up flux core and solid. Flux core is $19, solid is $7-12.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=mig+wire

I've been having good luck with the HF wire, but I think I'll switch anyway..... Wink
Thanks for the response.

No I didn't mix them up. The prices on the Harbor Freight website and in the store aren't necessarily the same. The website is a separate division from the store. At my local HF the solid wire is $19 a spool for the 2 lb. In fact my local store will only honor the website price if I print out the item online from their website and bring it with me. They do a price match. Of their own price.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:

No I didn't mix them up. The prices on the Harbor Freight website and in the store aren't necessarily the same.

I paid $9-11 for a 2lb and $27.99 for a 10lb at the store. I have the receipt for the big one, going by memory on the small one.

It sounds like your store plays by a different rule book than mine. Sad
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to pay extra all over town looking for good brands that wouldn't flash rust, seemed like the more it cost the sooner it rusted and started not feeding right. I've been using the HF stuff at half the cost and the shelf life actually seems the best of any brand I've tried...plus HF is open at a lot more odd hours when you need a new spool on Sunday afternoon.. Smile
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used u.s. forge,harbor freight russian wire some other cheap stuff when i 1st got my welder. didnt know anything. crummy wire ,feed problems. i run welder with the side door open to eyeball possible birdnests and constantly readjusting the tensioner/feed wheel. ditch that.
lincoln and hobart wire since then. basically plug n play. cheap wire cost to much in work flow.
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lincoln and Hobart are both brands I've used from the specialty welding shops, and in a coastal area they flash rust bad sitting on the spool in the shop- Never got full use out of a spool... May have something to do with being a higher carbon wire or something?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: