Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold temperature transmission fluid
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

Things have warmed up now and shifting is great but this past winter was extra cold, even for here (Anchorage Alaska). All shifting components have been replaced with new/rebuilt and I have all the RS fab parts too, summer shifting is great. Cold temp shifting is very bad/stiff, it gets better after driving a bit but still very stiff. After confirming that all components are in good working order and lubricated I'm now thinking that I could change out my trans fluid for the winter or perhaps find the right fluid that would work year round. I'm not sure what fluid is in there now, but whatever it is it could be the wrong stuff for cold temps. Any advice including constructive criticism welcome.
SAMBA!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

Without turning this into a lube thread argument, you could swap fluids fall and spring. You can actually reuse the fluid after it settled out over the winter. Plus you can keep an eye on your magnet.

I'm using Swepco 210 in my 2wd vanagon. I am experimenting with another lube in my Syncro transaxle. We don't get extreme cold down here. The problem is any lube that might help lubricate gear faces and bearings is competing with the syncronizer rings which like a thinner fluid to assist in grabbing the gear during shifts.

The thinner the oil, the smoother shifts in cold.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

living in northern MN where we hit -40F each winter, not that i drive the van at that temp, i really like the Swepco 202 i'm using for cold weather performance.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

I also like the 202 but we do not get the extreme cold here.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

I’m using 210 in the pacific nw and it sucks trying to shift into second gear in the morning when it is 55’. I will be dumping it soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I’m using 210 in the pacific nw and it sucks trying to shift into second gear in the morning when it is 55’. I will be dumping it soon.

I had 210 before the 202 and had the same issue.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

Its that time of year.
Van has the full RS FAB - from shifter all the way back to the trans.
Shift VERY well in summer. Shift not at all when cold. I don't know what fluid is in there. It had a flush a few years back, local shop probably put in the manufacture recommended dino oil.
Tempted to try the thinnest SWEPCO (201?)...but interested in alternatives.
Read someplace that straight 30W is an option if changed out again in spring.
Thoughts?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

Just fill it with synthetic ATF during the winter, which is what VW called for, at least at times. ATF+4 even carries a GL-4 rating, IIRC.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

I can attest 202 works great down to -10 F
201 was not good even at 20 F
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold temperature transmission fluid Reply with quote

Swepco is not bad in the cold. But the problem I find further north is the number of days of lower than 0 F.
Even a small inconvenience becomes a big one if you drive it daily or regularly for months in that kind of weather.

I like the Mobil Delvac 75W90 a lot.

I spend most summers crisscrossing the continent, ending up in New Mexico for weeks in 100 F temps.
Then drive home to months of below 0 F where I drive it regularly.

All that with a modified TDI doing the pushing. Change it every year..almost nothing on the magnet..very satisfied.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: