Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Almost killed a bicylist Saturday night
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Almost killed a bicylist Saturday night Reply with quote

Almost killed a bicylist Saturday night, came to stop sign, was going to turn right. I didn't see any pedestrians on the right, so I looked left and saw zero approaching traffic so I started to make my turn.

Well, a bicyclist with no lights was appraoching me, going the wrong way in the bike lane on a dark night, and with my headlights pointing forward, I had no way of seeing her. Apparently she must've expected me to see her coming, as she cam close (very close) to meeting her maker. I assume that she thought that since she was in the bike lane that it was OK to ride the opposite way, and to have zero lights. From what I've read on the Internet (everything's true on the Internet, Bonjour !!!) it's illegal to ride opposite the flow of traffic, bike lane or not, bikes are considered vehicles so must go with flow of traffic and must have lights at night. But dead would've been dead.

Close call, but I wouldn't have been the one physically injured or dead. No, she didn't have a helmet either, optional here.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dude. I'm glad it turned out the way it did. That would be a helluva thing to carry around in your head forever more.

I got hit while riding one time. I was obeying every rule and courtesy at the time, but as happens, a lady wasn't looking for something like a bike. Broadsided me and knocked me about 30 feet. Messed up my bike a little, but completely spared me any injury. I was only about 14-15 at the time, more than 40 years ago, but the memory is still as fresh as the day it happened. If nothing else, it certainly made me a more observant driver.
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez glad you saw her in time. Bicyclist think that they have the right of way just because they are in a Bike Lane. And to not have any lights or helmet at night. Geez!
Glad that story had a pleasant ending Cool
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saved money on my car insurance, by switching to reverse and fleeing the scene. Twisted Evil

She's lucky.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the streets of NYC, whether you are a pedestrian or a driver you still need to look every which way before moving through an intersection because of cyclists. I'm a cyclist myself but I have no sympathy for cyclists that ignore just plain common sense.

As both a cyclist and a driver I'm very glad for both of you that there was no serious injury.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang dude - that'll give you the shakes for a few hours.
I scared the hell out of a bicyclist a few years ago. I too was making a right. I looked left, right, then left, and started to go while still looking left. A lady on a bike had ridden up the sidewalk behind me (to my right) and took a left in front of me as I was starting to go.
I hit the brakes before there was any contact, but she panicked and pretty much fell over. I hopped out and helped her up...we were both pretty flustered and embarrassed. It could have ended much worse.

I have been super aware of pedestrians and bicyclists since then.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an insurance adjuster I have seen collisions involving fault on both parties, with as wild a range of scenarios as you can imagine. A few people have died, which is tragic.
I tell my daughters, who are just now learning how to ride safely with traffic, tha it doesn't matter if you have the right of way, if you're dead. When you're on a bike, you better be sure you're safe before proceeding.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
As an insurance adjuster I have seen collisions involving fault on both parties, with as wild a range of scenarios as you can imagine. A few people have died, which is tragic.
I tell my daughters, who are just now learning how to ride safely with traffic, tha it doesn't matter if you have the right of way, if you're dead. When you're on a bike, you better be sure you're safe before proceeding.

quoted for truth

I'm an avid cyclist. I've hit a cyclist in the same "coming from the right" scenerio. hit and flew over the car. One of two Mormons going the wrong way. He was really in pain, ambulance came, police came. Cops wrote him a ticket for wrong way. I never heard anything again except from my GF, who was in the car with me, and also Morman. We didnt last all that long after that
RussellK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride in city traffic a lot. Even when I have right of way I ride with the assumption I'm invisible to drivers. Being right and dead doesn't make you any less deader.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellK wrote:
Even when I have right of way I ride with the assumption I'm invisible to drivers. Being right and dead doesn't make you any less deader.

This is how I've always done my bike riding. And I taught my kids - when they were little - to assume that NO ONE EVER sees you when you're riding a bicycle.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mamasunshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had my Van a few weeks and find I am constantly swiveling my head wildly to watch for everyone bike, pedestrian and lower vehicles when I turn. It's a bit maddening! I'm thinking of adding more mirrors or something. Living in Portland, we are a big time bike city and for every aware and careful cyclist, there is another that has an over confident sense of right of way and blows stops signs etc.

Glad things didn't turn out worse for you and the cyclist!

'81 AT Vanagon Transporter Tintop
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
RussellK wrote:
Even when I have right of way I ride with the assumption I'm invisible to drivers. Being right and dead doesn't make you any less deader.

This is how I've always done my bike riding. And I taught my kids - when they were little - to assume that NO ONE EVER sees you when you're riding a bicycle.

This is how I do it, too. My daughter is learning these rules right now. Like was said already, right of way don't mean a thing if you're dead.

A few years back I was riding my bike down an arterial road in our small town. It was just about dark, and I have full lights on my old Raleigh grocery getter. A car approached the upcoming intersection from my right, stopped, and waited as I continued to ride past him in the right hand traffic lane where I was supposed to be. He has a stop sign, I had right of way. As I passed in front of his headlights, he took off and ran into me. My rear basket scraped across his plastic grill (Jeep Cherokee) and I maintained balance and stopped. He stopped, too, looked at me, then drove away into the night. That was close. He was looking straight at me as I approached, and there were no other cars in the vicinity.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the behavior of a DUI driver.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was North Idaho.... Cool

I patiently waited in my company van at a red light Monday for a cyclist to cross in front of me. The car behind honked for me to go- then saw the cyclist- and I assume, figured out why I was waiting. We both turned right- and when the driver passed the cyclist 100 yards up the road- he honked ( I looked in my mirror) and saw him flipping off the cyclist. Now had I been in my own car...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost again, on my way to work: I stopped at a 4-way stop, was going to turn right. Opposite me, another car stopped, he was going to turn left after me, into same direction as me. I start to turn, a teen-age bicyclist going about 20mph approaches the intersection from my left, never slows down, crosses my path as I start to turn. Shaken up, two seconds later his buddy does the same.

So they both purposely ran the 4-way stop - in their neighborhood, they know it's there. Just amazing. I taught my kids when they were little to obey the traffic rules on their bikes, and also to assume that they were 100% INVISIBLE to every driver, so ride with that precept in mind.

So, sorry, I enabled another future Arizona serial killer to live a little longer....I figure one can only get away with teen-age luck for so long, then the odds catch up.

Ask Michael Jackson if his luck with dangerous drugs held....
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about bicycles, and he said that he had recently spoken with a local police officer about the rules. The cop said that a bicyclist is essentially treated as a pedestrian, no matter if they are riding or walking. He couldn't be more wrong. I wish I knew the officer's name, because I would love to educate him on the rules of cycling.

I love to drive, almost as much as riding a bike. I wish more people did both so they would understand the view from both sides.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I stopped at a 4-way stop, was going to turn right. Opposite me, another car stopped, he was going to turn left after me, into same direction as me. I start to turn, a teen-age bicyclist going about 20mph approaches the intersection from my left, never slows down, crosses my path as I start to turn. Shaken up, two seconds later his buddy does the same.

So they both purposely ran the 4-way stop - in their neighborhood, they know it's there.

I've trailed along behind people who have done the same, waiting for them to actually stop at a stop sign just so I can ask them wtf were they thinking. It gets kinda funny when its a group of bikers who think they are leading the peloton.
Tracey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen so many bicyclist brake so may traffic laws. Im all for sharing the road but for the love of you know who, if your on a bike do you really think its a good idea to assume that the guy in the car is going to see you every time you break a road rule? Even if the biker is following every rule.....DON"T assume the guy in the car will see you, even if the guy in the car is doing everything right, your on a small bike with zero protection. Drive and ride with some defense in mind.
Yes Ive had some close calls myself and have been hit while on a bike. All was well but dang scary in either seat.
Watch out for each other.
I love the Vans!
capedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have bike trails on the Cape that cross many roads, it amazes me we haven't killed a bunch of the Bike #%%er's here.
They act like they have the right of way and don't have to stop at signs.

STOP

WALK

LIVE

Most don't know why you should walk you bike across the street.
taylorb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtat wrote:
I just saved money on my car insurance, by switching to reverse and fleeing the scene. Twisted Evil

She's lucky.

Bahahahahahaha. Aaaahhhha. That's some funny shit! Laughing

76 STD Bug-Sold
71 Transporter Converted To Camper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: