Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga Reply with quote

Episode 1: A New Cope

Well, it's officially begun, although I missed the 8:20 AM phone call that was the official beginning, due to a frantic effort on my part to get caught up on my sleep. The change of seasons and Daylight Savings Time always does play hob with my shut-eye.

Kenny Shock's out of the project, although he will still rebuild Winston's sliding door window. He and his two brothers were over at Wheels of Time that early--they popped out the two new jalousie-ed windows, central driver's and passenger's rear, then cut the seals on the windshield and the rear window. I wish I could have been there to hold Winston's gear shift...

Shocked

Kenny wasn't able to read the E-mail I sent him about the driver's side rear window and consequently didn't pull it on the grounds that he couldn't get it back in. He wouldn't do the front two side windows and cat-ears on the grounds that it would take him 8 hours and he couldn't be gone from his shop that long. Does it really take that long?

At any rate, he didn't charge for what he did do (and that was a big chunk of his time) and Les will use either his own people (I've sent him here) or his usual glass guy, Vance.

Van-ce. There's hope! Anyway, Les is willing to work with me or Vance in re-installing the passenger's side rear window, if I end up having to pull the cabinets, so be it.

It shouldn't be, dobryan's technique has been confirmed just today elsewhere on the board, and dobryan (who does not read his private messages) is on my very short, short list of Vanagon people who absolutely know about what he is speaking. I have also, repeatedly, begged Les to employ my Bentley or the Samba when some issue arises, hopefully, he will.

On the subject of that window behind the closet, I admit to feeling some temptation about having them just weld the damn opening up and paint it, but there is a reason I'm not doing that...

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, MIKE LABATE!

Shocked

With that veiled reference made, I do wonder if I should have it tinted with mirror tint... Of course, the fossilized tint already on it (and paid for) is deep purple and practically opaque... Leaving shot enough alone is an option. FNGRUVN, what with Winston's shiny silver jalousies, visible on both sides of the van, a bit of visible silver aluminum just doesn't bother me enough to have the sliding door window frame anodized. Not to mention the cost... I try not to even THINK of the cost, because then I'm huddled up in a fetal position in the corner...

Shocked

Right now they're probably yanking off Winston's exteriors, just about everything but a license plate mount on either end. I should note that Les was pretty insistent that they do that, for the reason I thought he'd be--they scratch, they fix, they don't scratch, no need to fix. Then Winston's off on a short road trip for bead-blasting and back for bodywork and paint.

I'll try to swing over the Wednesday and pick up the sliding door's sliding window, Kenny has agreed to rebuild that, says he won't have any trouble. I'll print out the instructions I sent him on that subject and get his informed opinion on the slider channels.

I am apprehensive, but pragmatic. Today I shall order new seals. All of them. From Bus Depot.

And I am very tense.

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Winston Goes Under the Beads Monday Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, yesterday I went down to Wheels of Time. I missed Winston, I know he missed me, and there's nothing like the visit of a friend to cheer you up while you're being prepped for surgery.

Shocked

Well, I did promise you photos. Here's another:

Part of my mission WAS for a fact to see, comfort, and photograph Winston. The other part was as follows. Having found from your wonderful posts about how to rebuild the sliding glass window in the sliding metal door, I wanted to go down there, talk to Les about the window and body rubber, and retrieve the window for Kenny Shock--or me--to rebuild. Scott, Les's shop foreman and a competent bodyman, will have a look at Winston's passenger side regulator, I need to find the post for the 'difficult raising' repair for that--one of Winston's last remaining mechanical issues.

There have been some frustrating moments, already. Late Monday night I got ready to order the window and bod rubber... And found out that Bus Depot used that night to upgrade their website, and it couldn't accept orders. I saved my 'Cart' page, sent that to them with a question, as they told me to do. So far, no response to that.

Tuesday night, late, the only time I could do it, same situation, no response to my query. There STILL has been no response to my query, but I WAS able to answer it myself now that they seem to be fully up and running again.

So, perhaps, tonight I will finally get the order in, which, during my visit, Les agreed would be a good idea. I also promised them to research here on the Samba whatever issues they were having with Winston, for The Search is strong with me. I did, however, have success on a project that I think will be good news to you all.

I took the Window, they'd gotten it out with the seal intact, but it's cracked, shot, and done for, and loaded the into in the faithful Saturn SW2, going, as planned, thence down to this place:

B-D Company
1360 S. Acoma St.
Denver, CO. 80223
303.744.1405 or 800.748.2244
http://www.b-dco.com/

My reasoning was that the best way to find a replacement glass channel for the sliding window was to take that window down there and find the right one. They were... Incredibly cool with that. And we pulled out the old channel, and found a new one that would fit snugly, and I bought an 8' length of that and things look VERY promising. Here is the item number:

WEA/75000452

On the invoice it's listed as 'AS1340 96" Channel. It's got fuzziness at the bottom and a narrower rubber channel that looks just right for the sliding window. The price was $12.80. The FINAL proof will be in the rebuilding, but I think this is about the best we can hope for. And they do online sales.

They also sell various types of bedliner and rocker panel coat, of various textures and thicknesses. They are wonderful peopl with whom to do business, some pictures with the same camera led the wonderful clerk to finding EXACTLY the right plastic rivet for the Saturn's plastic hatch panel, meaning, I think, that TWO annoying rattles perished Wednesday afternoon.

Monday, weather permitting (because Winston's not staying outside for a moment in his current state!) they will take him to the bead blaster's and get rid of what survives, below the rain gutter, of the 2nd paint job and the original German exterior. I was pleased to see how carefully they had his refrigerator and other panel openings masked off.

The one issue on the window that I haven't been able to solve is whether or not I need THREE sets of seals for the window, to wit:

1)The top rubber channel, that I think I got at B-D
2)1/4" Storm Window Replacement felt for the bottom that the glass rides on and that stops rattling...
3)2 of the $29 slides that all three of our vendors sell that goes... Where?

I would suspect that #2 is the replacement for #3. But I am not certain.

Shocked

I'll have to get down to Wheels of Time to pay the bead blaster's bill and I'll have new photographs of what lies under Winston's old paint. Now... Pray for me... I'm going to try Bus Depot (still no response to my query, but they ARE rebuilding their web page) and get thar order in.

And I am spending much money.

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Coping--Saw... Reply with quote

All right, here's where we are...

I'm soon off to Home Depot to pick up FNGRUVN's storm window replacement weather stripping, if it's still made, failing that, to A&A Hardware to see if they have it off the roll, which they probably do.

Called Denver's last remaining auto show, notably, this one:

http://drive-radio.com/index.php?page=your-host

to ask about the paint and rocker panel spray, as I called them about the Polyarmor metal fuel lines. Whether it was my presence on the call board or just... timing... What did they do but go into a general condemnation of all things Vanagon!

Shocked

Fires, head gasket failures, 'so many of them on the hook.' Then they took my call. I... gave at least as good as we got, I'm proud to say, mentioning that for such a ghastly vehicle the 10 year production run is rather intriguing, pointing out how the early teething problems were more than fixed, and including my favorite line, 'Vanagons don't mind when people laugh at them... They even attend their funerals."

Twisted Evil

I think I'll download the last two week's podcasts and edit them into something I can post here, you'll get a laugh out of it. But after a friendly exchange of jabs, they said that the 3M Rocker Panel Spray is very UV resistant, and as these are all Colorado mechanics, they ought to know. They did say that the texture, while smoother than bedliner, is rough enough so that the rocker panels are indeed where it belongs and nowhere else.

They said that a combined modern system of urethane paint is far and away the best way to prevent Winston's new paint from resembling his old, and that the problem with things such as Rhinyl or any bedliner on the rocker panels is that the stuff hardens and cracks in the UV and loses the flexibility that the 3M stuff keeps. They also said that the 'decal' anti-rock film 3M sells resists rocks and UV, and is NOT visible. That'd go on Winston's nose cone, then, and I can get all this stuff from the good folks at B-D. This is all good news.

I will see if I can draft someone to help me prise the sliding window out of the frame so I can get the new seals, upper from B-D, lower from Home Depot in, and I guess I'll have to Dremel in a notch for the new Van Cafe guides to lock into place on Winston's older slider. I have bar clamps that can be used as spreaders.

Had my share of problems, again, trying to place the order for Winston's body rubber from Bus Depot, but Ron Salmon PM'ed me back here on the Samba and offered his personal assistance in getting the Samba discount, and I have faith it'll be a good order, and a hope that it will get in soon. Just bad luck on all our fronts that they're doing a major website upgrade right when I'm doing all this, and I'm still cheery.

Updates to follow on the success of the sliding window rebuild.

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Winston and the Stripper Reply with quote

Well, he's been AT the bead blasting place since Monday--I thought, when they sent Winston to the bead blaster's, that they'd, you know, bead blast him, but my education continues. Winston went to the bead blaster's when they could store him indoors, vital in his current windowless, taped over state.

And I am wiser.

I shall, however, know exactly when he is going to be done! I myself am paying the bead blaster and will need to cut and hand over the check. I plan on taking pictures of Winston upon his relatively paint-less return.

All the body rubber has been ordered, most of it is en route, some of it is here. Bus Depot stayed with me during the trouble caused by their site upgrade, Van Cafe had the one item Bus Depot would have had to back-order and got that and the gaskets for the sliding window latch to me the DAY AFTER I placed the order. That's not a sneer at Bus Depot, California is closer to Colorado than Pennsylvania.

I've got very near to $900 in new window rubber, body seals, and a new retractable antenna coming from Pennsylvania. I'll note that Bus Depot's always shipped very promptly for me, and I am grateful, and that Van Cafe has shipped LIKE LIGHTNING every time I've ordered from them. GoWesty's never been evil, just to say.

When I go to Wheels of Time to drop off the seals and pay for the bead-blasting, I shall be taking... Winston's rebuilt sliding side window! I did that today, with the help of the same friend who showed up for an unexpected visit when I was working on Winston's pop-top seal. Carl probably wonders why he always finds me working on the van--even when the van is seven or so miles away.

The good part is... Success! I further wrecked the old felted rubber sliding channel taking it out, but shot IS shot, and it had to happen. Then I did what a very early post suggested and used a pair of bar clamps converted to spreaders to get the sliding glass out, with absolutely no difficulty, I found some residual tint adhesive on that and got rid of it with a razor scraper and mineral spirits.

Okay, I finally understand what is meant by the 'vertical' strips, except that one is horizontal and I used needle-nose pliers and a metal hook probe to pull out the... really, really shot fuzzy strips from the channels in which the remnants of those yet lingered. I used the hook and the needle noses to pull the NEW strips, as you so kindly noted, available from Ace, back IN to the channels. A nice clerk at Home Depot told me that no store in the Denver area was carrying FNGRUVN's MD product here.

Shocked

Looked at my Van Cafe slider guides... Looked at the sliding window assemblies... My buddy showed up... We got out the Dremel-compatible. I was very careful notching out the the spaces for the slider guides, new style, to latch into Winston's old style sliding window frame, but, once I did that, I tapped them into place with a rubber mallet and they LOCKED. I can finally eat the cookies from the Van Cafe order in which I acquired THOSE.

Shocked

I hope they're still edible. I never eat the cookies until I have installed the parts I ordered with them. MOTIVATION!

Used compressed air to blast things out, put red moly grease in the slider guides and the along the slider channel... and then my friend and I began to see if the stuff I got from B-D products would work.

It would. Oh, indeed, yes it would, would it ever. We did have to make a series of cuts in the corner as the Germans did with the original channels, but it worked and worked well. We used an old blunt screwdriver to press the channel firmly up and into the aluminum window frame, but when we spread the frame again and put the sliding window assembly back in... Smooth as silk, and there's another rattle gone to make way for another, even more annoying rattle to take its place.

Shocked

I took some time to scuff up the painted parts of the latch assembly with 240 grit emery paper. Then I washed those with Windex and laid down three coats of Krylon fusion paint on them, it's drying now. The bare 'pot metal' on those has long annoyed me. It shouldn't again any time soon.

I tried to find a new spring to replace the sliding window's latch spring on general principles, but the hardware store didn't have one and the old one really does seem to be all right. Tomorrow it all goes back together with Loc-Tite on the screws, and one of the more nervous parts--at least from my own perspective--of the job is over.

You've groaned about my pictures of Winston mooning the world without his rear bumper. The next pictures of him I post should be Winston... Almost...

BUCK NEKKID!

Shocked

The suspense is billing me.

Shocked

Best!
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob, let me know if you can't find the fuzzy strips. I have enough to do your windows.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Winston and the Stripper Reply with quote

I need to follow your logic. No cookies until the work is done! I hope to see your "new" van at VWs on the Green.

Bill

msinabottle wrote:
I can finally eat the cookies from the Van Cafe order in which I acquired THOSE.

Shocked

I hope they're still edible. I never eat the cookies until I have installed the parts I ordered with them. MOTIVATION!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

What a leap of faith. Can't wait to see X rated pics of Winston! Shocked Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Minor Aggravation Reply with quote

One mildly annoying thing... I was... EXQUISITELY careful taking apart the sliding window latch... I cleaned, with EXQUISITE care, the threads of the two 'through the glass' screws. I put in the new gaskets on either side with EXQUISITE caution... And the top of the two screws stripped as I tightened it down with Loc-Tite on the threads.

Exquisite.

Shocked

I wedged some steel wool into the hole and got it to bite. Do you think I should try a thread-sert or something? IT's pot metal all 'round, the plate and the latch.

Sigh.

Best!
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try filling the hole with J-B Weld and then drill and tap.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Can we beat the Blizzard? (Er, No.) Reply with quote

Winston is, even now, hopefully finishing up with his bead-blasting. With luck, he will done, then I shall scurry over to Wheels of Time with my camera and...

Thank you, Bus Depot!

All the body rubber! A huge box on my doorstep this morning. I spent the time between calling Wheels of Time and finding out that Winston was still 'under the gun,' as it were, going through the box.

I was able to identify about 2/3 of the assorted seals, but they all appeared to be in good shape and brand new, and I am very grateful to Ron Salmon and his staff for getting the rubber to me so quickly. I've always thought Bus Depot shipped as promptly as I have any right to expect. I labeled the smaller stuff for the bodymen, and put the Van Cafe portion of the order in with Bus Depot stuff. Then I labeled the box.

The new antenna looks a little flimsy, not sure of the company, but it should work well enough--if it doesn't, I'll replace it later with a good aftermarket, I'm thinking spring steel whip. It took me some time to figure out how it all went together, but I think the metal body collapses into the black plastic tube and the bodymen can figure out the rest of that. I still like the idea of an under-the-luggage rack antenna mod, but I don't have the time for that just now.

I suppose I should also take the sliding window--FNGRUVN's idea of re-tapping the hole is a good one, I can use the removed slider window I replaced with a jalousie rig to see if a thread-sert will be a fast repair.

Just called Wheels of Time, they're not yet sure if they're done... We have suspense, here... A blizzard is moving in. Will they be done in time for me to get Winston back to Wheels of Time, pay the bead-blaster, drop off the rubber, and photograph him?

Shocked

Hope so. There's something about large-scale work on Winston that seems to attract snow storms, ecce:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1950269

Updates as the situation permits...

Best!

--

Duly updating...

Well, fudge, but what can you do? They either just started Winston or haven't started him. And the storm bears down. This leads to unpleasant complications. Winston's inside a booth inside a big building, so he should be just fine in the storm, but although they can bead-blast him Monday, MOVING him will be fun. His Agilis have lousy traction on ice, and even if he had Nokians on him you do NOT drive a bead-blasted vehicle on slushy streets! The whole point is to de-rust the vehicle.

Les speaks of a flat bed--I hope that doesn't cost me huge sums. But nothing to do now but wait... Some more.

And keep YOU guys waiting for bare naked Winston.

Shocked

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Bare Naked Winston: A Vanagon Goes Streaking Reply with quote

WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS VANAGON NUDITY!

Police have no clue as to the identity of the 1984 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia Camper reported as running unclothed (and lacking windows, door handles, and running lights!) down Santa Fe Drive. Here is a photo taken of the suspect in the act of 'mooning' the chase car:

The suspect is reported to be hiding somewhere in the Denver area, within an establishment catering to vehicles involved in the 'Metalist' lifestyle.

Oh, yes, they call him... The Streak.

Shocked

It has been... a day. I told my sad tale last week of how Winston got trapped by that spring blizzard within the bounds of this establishment:

Blast-Tech
3775 Kalamath'
Englewood, CO 80110
303-806-9992

After being stripped down to what I was relieved to see was more bare metal than Bondo, Gary, the pleasant proprietor of Blast-Tech held Winston hostage pending a ransom of $875, which was really quite reasonable considering the amount of cheap 2nd coat, good original coat, rust and other atrocities removed from Winston's pitted surface. I was perfectly willing to let Winston wait a bit while the roads cleared, if it would save the expense and risk of flat-bedding Winston back to the Body Shop. From the demeanor of all involved, it would seem that Winston was well-treated.

I will not miss many old friends gone forever in a pitiless hail of polystyrene.

There was a slight discrepancy involving a dropped '3' from that address that resulted in an unexpected and on the whole undesired ninety minute tour of Southern Denver and Northern Englewood, although among the landmarks passed in my quest to get over and pay Gary's bill were the Denver Pound, our local power plant, and Painter's Grinding, which had a Vanagon in the yard.

An exchange of worried phone calls and a mounting need to use the men's room later, I rushed in, threw my check at Gary, greeted Les and Randy, one of Winston's beauticians, and scurried frantically to an appropriate place to seek peace from inner turmoil.

I then got to chase Winston back to Wheels of Time where he awaited the next stages of his restoration in what I truly do feel are the competent hands of Les, shop foreman Scott, and Randy, who drove Winston capably during his furtive transit in his altogether:

I took the opportunity to drop off my collection of Winston's body rubber, labeled as best I could, the rebuilt slider window, as well as his two new double-nozzled windshield sprayers, which arrived from Pelican parts just before I left to pay Blast-Tech and take these photographs.

On the whole what lay beneath those two coats of paints could have been worse, but it does look like that at one time Winston was served with a T-Bone, and I wish it had been a steak:

But, no one saw anything uniquely terrifying. Metal Glaze will smooth out the fine pits, some old-style Bondo will disappear in some areas, yet other dents will be stud-pulled before long-blocking, priming, and clear coat.

Les likes my idea of the 3M™ Rocker Panel Coating, and black on top of that, and we talked a bit about how that will happen, and we are going to figure out how to get that applied, for which again see:
http://3mcollision.com/3m-rocker-panel-coating-08889.html

Les... Quite liked the idea of putting Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/

or perhaps he meant this stuff, 3M™ VentureShield™ Paint Protection Film:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Products/VentureShield/

on Winston's nose cone at the very end of the job, the realm of financial possibility will have to be investigated and explored.

You may find the balance of my pictures of Winston in his aging altogether here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=msinabottle

We now enter the pre-paint repair stage of slow careful metalwork. We are indeed going with the PPG multi-stage urethane paint, Assuan Brown, the 3M on the rocker panels, black to the arches, with Les wracking his brains to make it look the best for the least. I sincerely reassured Les, Scott, and Randy that I do think that he is in excellent hands.

I miss him, though...

Further updates as events warrant.

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma! Thar's a nekkid hippy van a-drivin' down the road!

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Naked Winston: A Vanagon Goes Streaking Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

Oh, yes, they call him... The Streak.

Don't look Ethel!
It was too late
She done been mooned!

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare Naked Winston: A Vanagon Goes Streaking Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

Is it just me, or is that raw metal look actually quite nice?!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: It Isn't Just You Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it just me, or is that raw metal look actually quite nice?!

No. I could imagine the clear coat from Hell over that bare metal, for a look like none other--but then you'd have kids on skateboards, always being asked about Mr. Fusion, flux capacitor grounding issues... And you'd never be able to get it up to 88 miles an hour...

Shocked

But, yes, I thought he did actually look kind of nice like that.

Best!
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's looking great!! Are they painting anything on the interior, attacking rust from inside?
We're planning on getting the body work, on our van, done next year. For now we're chasing down the mechanical issues.
Congrats and looking forward to watching the progress.
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
AKRIVIERA79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Winston is doing great! Reply with quote

My daughter and I visited Winston today...he blushed as we checked him out...he's doing great!
Nice folks there...Bill gave a tour.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston is doing great! Reply with quote

AKRIVIERA79 wrote:
My daughter and I visited Winston today...he blushed as we checked him out...he's doing great!
Nice folks there...Bill gave a tour.

I hope his gown wasn't open in back! Embarassed

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Visitors? Reply with quote

Gad, I missed these responses. Les is hoping that this project will show off his shop, I think, strongly, that he will have much to show off.

If you look at the posts, I've checked Winston's rust from inside, they cut out the rusted section and checked it from both inside and outside. The smaller areas of surface rust died under the bead blasting, and we all rejoice that no hidden horrors have surfaced under the bygone paint jobs.

They've welded in new metal, and it looks wonderful. So many of the dents and dings I despaired of ever fixing are gone forever, and they are not mourned.

In graceful acquiescence, we're to one thread, and in one thread shall we stay. If there's a bump in the narrative... Well, my Lucas-eque theme continues...

Shocked

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: