Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: The Final (?) Exterior Touches (Picture Heavy!) Reply with quote

Well, there WAS one last round... For now... I mean, I can stop any time I want to... I'm NOT an addict... I can quit! No, really!

Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Less floridly, I threw a few more things onto Winston, and a few more dollars I don't have into Winston. Note my avatar, which has been accurate for 8 years so far.

I have mentioned in other threads that I did get a complete set of the Terra Wagen postal flares from GoWesty--$5 less is $5, and they also gave me their GoBucks, which, is something... I call that something 'A rationalization.'

Shocked

And, as the more sagacious among you might note, I also sprang for a full set of OEM Mud Flaps, from Bus Depot. I lie mildly, I bought the front set from OEM VW (whom I still mourn) and initially only installed the one before the propane tank, this summer I bought the rear set and grommets from Bus Depot.

It's all good. I used 'The Search,' for the Search is strong with me, and decided that I would let Les and the same people who did the rest of Winston's body work at Wheels of Time to put on, first the postal flares, then the mud flaps. I wasn't going to blow it at the last minute with my mistakes--and I couldn't find any information ANYWHERE on precisely how to mount the mudflaps. As I figured, the professionals didn't have any trouble with any of it, and to help you lot, I left some pretty detailed pictures of the installation.

and

which is more than I had. There are pictures that show it in even greater detail in my gallery.

I would have posted it all in September when I had it done but I didn't get any good photographs of the entire job until this Wednesday, when, as related elswhere, I got Winston out to wash him, get his oil warmed for changing, and show him off to my barber, who wasn't at the barbershop. Oh, well.

Those who were at the RMW camp out will note that the wheel arches went on last--but I'll give it to you guys at Terra Wagen, you completed the look. They really do finish things up quite nicely. I also hope they protect against still more mud and gravel.

I've been worrying about the mud flaps aging badly, so I picked up a bottle of Meguire's Supreme Shine, and while the oil drained out of Winston I applied that to the flaps. On the one in front of the propane tank, mud stuck and STAYED stuck, through multiple washes. That Meguir's stuff has Scotchguard and UV Protection, and it's supposed to stay on the rubber on which you spray it. Further bulletins as gloating warrants, but it certainly left the mud flaps shiny and slick.

I also played with a Mothers product, 'Back to Black,' since I couldn't find (particularly these days!)

Shocked

any of the other plastic restoration products we've talked about here on the Samba. I used it on Winston's gas cap, rear light housings, and gas cap grommet--and I admit that the results were pretty good:

Don't use it on painted plastic, so, not on Winston's grill. But I'll put it on the mirrors, I suppose. The Baby Oil always got good results, but doesn't do much to protect things in Colorado's thin, high UV atmosphere.

Anything else exciting?

YES!

I had asked who would be the first to use Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology 5W50 in a vanagon's engine. That's that full synthetic with 'old car' additives = ZDDP? Or the equivalent? Gad, I hope so.

Shocked

Well... I had the stuff, I wanted Winston's oil changed before storing him... and I used IT!

It... looks like oil. What can I say, the light went out pretty fast, it helped that I'd pre-soaked the oil filter with the new stuff, the engine ran well on it down one hill and up two others, and then I crossed my fingers and snugged Winston into the garage for the Winter. That's what I did the last time I experimented with Winston's oil--and then the oil light started coming on at idle. Worry fodder. I tried to remember everything else... All the water's out, the fridge drain and vent are sealed, the battery tender's plugged in...

There's no real way to let you know how well the super oil works until I've had Winston out on a long drive in harsh conditions. When that happens, I'll share the results.

Gad, I've shared everything else. One final note-- to that fellow who said that Winston and the 'Winston Wanna Be's' (I loved that line!) will all look passe' in five years...

BLEAH!

People like that deserve to be bleahed.

Evil or Very Mad

I rather obviously think he looks pretty darn good.

And, to quote a... MUCH earlier post...

Who else's opinion matters?

(Then why I am fishing for compliments and doing the fashion show?)

HOW DARE YOU NOTICE MY HYPOCRISY!

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the silence remain silent, i love these posts! Smile
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always glad to hear about Winston..Winston Churchill Westfalia I.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldhuldy67 wrote:
Always glad to hear about Winston..Winston Churchill Westfalia I.

Actually, if anything, I think it would be Winston Smith Westfalia.

It's a 1984 and his screen name suggests a literary turn.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks amazing!

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Still Does! Reply with quote

Les at Wheels of Time told me today he's done two more Vanagons.

You can't stop at just one... Smile

Winston is still wowing 'em.

Thank you!

Best!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mods and a great result, but I can't believe you left the bracket exposed on the right-front and have that long bolt untrimmed! My God, man, can you imagine how Winston must feel rolling around with the automotive equivalent of having his bowtie askew?!?

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Now you've done it. Rob better fix that immediately..... oh the shame! Laughing Laughing Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: <cough>something<cough> Reply with quote

Winston is like his owner--we are not averse to cutting a handsome figure, but we also prize functionality.

I thought you all might be a bit weary of us... So I didn't do a play-by-play of the sink 'P Trap' replacement and the new 'right angle' drain pipe. And the microwave 'cradle'... and the two new ground wires I still need to install... and replacing the digital clock's capacitor... and the GoWesty instrument tab metal plates upon which the HOLES WERE TOO NARROW FOR THE SUPPLIED SCREWS and...

Shocked

Anyway, they don't bother me. That preservative on the rubbber seems to work pretty well, though. One more camping trip and I change his oil and let him sleep through the winter... While I think about getting him a set of Nokian WR-Cs.

Best!
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so incredibly jealous... Sad

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Don't be jealous... Reply with quote

Don't be jealous...

Be inspired! I did it, with the help of wonderful people, this great board, a tremendous aftermarket, and the advice of wise and caring people. It paid off, and I am very happy and do not consider the money and the time wasted--which is a wonderful way to feel.

Ad astra per aspera!

Optimum!

morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could i park my poor old syncro beside yours 4 a couple hrs, it needs to be embarrassed & maybe get inspired to be better??
VanAllen_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NUTS! Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
The <BLEEP!>
1971BugGuy came up with a template and font to reproduce ANY external Westfalia Builder's plate. Winston's was horrid when I got him, ecce:

First, nice work on the Wehabilitation! Winston looks awesome!

Second, my builder's plate looks pretty much like yours does in the picture, all worn and illegible. Besides the plate, where else can I find that info?

Would love to get one made for Osmo. You taking orders?? Very Happy
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga Reply with quote

A very handsome van, and I love that orangey brown.

My take on gender comes from the original muttersprache: German has three.

Buses are feminine, vanagons are masculine, and eurovans are neutral gender.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga Reply with quote

msinabottle:

Great thread, great history, and awesome package overall! A true inspiration.

I have been interested in the Jalousie windows you had installed. I have seen a couple other threads on that process, but wondered if you had these built by someone I could contact for a prepared solution, or if you did those on your own? If you did them, do you have some pics of that process, by chance?

Question #2, also about the Jalousie's: the passenger side. can you tell me a little bit about your experience with operation on those? How much can they be open and not get smashed by the slider door when opening?

Thanks for the great thread, and documentation. I'd love to walk in your footsteps, great inspiration!

-bobby
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga Reply with quote

Ack! Somehow I missed the reactivation of this thread! Very sorry I didn't notice sooner. Let me try to answer your questions.

VanAllen, The Skylight Guy never did start making those plates before he shut down all together--but I will send anyone who wants them the plate template, the font, and the other stuff we used to make mine, and with modern laser printing and adhesives, it's not a difficult project. PM me a good Email address here, we still don't have a 'files' library on the Samba.

pablum, I quite agree with your gender choices. I also am quoting your 'experience' proverb to my students.

On the jalousies, bobbyblack, they were my assembly, I did hire a metal shop to cut down some of the parts, you can see what and how in the 'Jalousies' thread. The metal shop guy said I could have done the cutting myself. RMW is importing and selling those European sliding rear windows. That'd be easier by far.

<added> Sorry, wasn't reading thoroughly. When I did the rebuild I didn't know that at that time (I haven't checked lately) Amazon had the actual lifting mechanism boxes still for sale. I wish I'd known, I would have replaced both of them, but they do raise and lower the jalousies--I have to push the right hand side completely closed with a finger. dobryan, Dave being skilled and thorough, put in a limiter so he couldn't open his jalousies so far that the slider WOULD hit them. I wanted the air, so my method, which works pretty well, is to hang my baseball hat on the slider handle if I've left the jalousies open far enough to hit the slider. I reach for the handle, my hat is there, I know to close the jalousies. That has worked QUITE well.</added>

Feel free to follow up!

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Winston Wehabilitated: The Complete Saga Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
pablum, I quite agree with your gender choices. I also am quoting your 'experience' proverb to my students!

Haha, feel free: I think it's an asian proverb. As I have found in my own life, however, there is a corollary, to wit: 'analysis leads to paralysis', meaning don't spend too much time chasing down the loose ends, during your preparation, or you'll never start the task, let alone finish it.

Also, and I like this part very much as it ties in directly to the Internet and sites like theSamba: history is all the experiences of the past that people have chosen to put down in words.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: