Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses what to clean where?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! So, if I just put NuFinish on, I can't use wax for awhile then, right? Technically NuFinish says it's the once a year finish, but I notice the fading after more like 6 months.
tam
Phishman068 wrote:
Yep, that's the wax!
Not Below or above your non-wax "NEW FINISH" stuff.

In place of it.

It's actual wax.
Makes the car look good.
Protects the paint by wearing off slowly.
Needs monthly applications.
Smells and feels like wax.

IS wax.

Good stuff.
GREAT STUFF actually.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the New Finish product on my Fiberglass Poptop.
Now I'd like to try the Penetrol Product on the Top.

So-ooooo

How the heck do I get the New Finish off to use the Penetrol?
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK specifically NuFinish, but on the Penetrol thread Kamz explained how she cleaned her top before adding the Penetrol.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=80

Someone on there also specifically told me not to put it there (thinking I'd done it) not sure why, but you may have to wait before adding anything else up there...

tam
WestyDreamer wrote:
I used the New Finish product on my Fiberglass Poptop.
Now I'd like to try the Penetrol Product on the Top.

So-ooooo

How the heck do I get the New Finish off to use the Penetrol?

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some black grease marks on the front of my new to me canvas, dish soap usually gets that out, but didn't this time. I'm going to try that Orange hand cleaner you use to wash your hands when you're working on your car. The *authentic* stuff my dad used to have at the shop, was WAY better than the Orange stuff I buy at Walmart.

AND, some rust stains. I've already tried Lemon & Hydrogen Peroxide. And, of course all my other usual stain removers.

Problem w/ stains like these, they've been heat set by being in the Vanagon over the summer...

Anyone have any other ideas for grease and/or rust?

Thanks!

tam

Making it special:
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Found it at Walmart! Will see if the Canadian Walmart has it, otherwise will order some from the American one! Smile

Will let everyone know if it works!

tam
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whink-Rust-Stain-Remover-16-fl-oz/15716648
dhaavers wrote:

Speaking of stains, my pop top had mold on it again this year, so annoyed since I even removed the mattresses this year, not a lot, but I bleached it when the canvas was off. Wondering who rinses the Tilex off with water, who dilutes it w/ Vinegar and who just leaves it? Last year I used a carpet cleaner and rinsed it off w/ Vinegar or Peroxide, I forget which I used...But, then I remember someone else saying they don't bother to rinse it off, wondering the long term consequence of not rinsing it off?

It sure looks CLEAN again!

tam

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHEELS! Had to guess that was coming! LOL

What do you use to clean the grease off your wheels? I've already tried scrubbing with the stuff I use to wash my car with, dish soap, fantastic, and that bug and tar remover Kam suggested. I can now see SOME silver. LOL

I just bought some Cimoniz from CT and then googled it. Seems the two reviews I read no one had problems. And no one that replied liked it. It has some sort of acid in it. I see now that it has "corrosive" on the bottle. So I read the super fine print with my bifocals tipped all the way down, it says something about not using it on polished aluminum. Does that apply to my E320s? They aren't really *polished* like the CLK320s, but certainly have a clear coat of some sort on them that is damaged.

If you can't use the stuff on alloys, what's the point of it? LOL I've never seen anyone w/ hubcaps go out and buy 3 different cleaners to get the hubcaps clean. Well, ok, maybe I did but my Vanagon hubcaps were really dirty when I got them! Wink

So what DO I use for the 1/4" grime inside the wheel. I already got the outside clean and out of site out of mind just doesn't cut it for me. LOL

Oooh, hot water in the shower stall?

Thanks!

tam

Making it special:
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gentle powdered cleaner, probably used by my Grandmother's mother. Non-scratching, mostly it's limestone and Feldspar. They came out with a new formulation a while back but I've still got a couple of cans of the old stuff so don't know if it works any better.
I use it on plastic (formica), painted surfaces (I've removed overspray with it) and as the first step in cleaning the window glass if there is any crud on it.
Good for your fiberglass hot tub, too.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a spray bleach product for mold and baby moss here in the Great NW.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use Bon Ami on your aluminum wheels? I've never actually seen it and use Comet or Ajax myself. Looked it up, seems it's less abrasive than what I have and is known for cleaning aluminum. I will check Target/Walmart next time I'm in the States. Thanks!
Dampcamper wrote:

A gentle powdered cleaner, probably used by my Grandmother's mother. Non-scratching, mostly it's limestone and Feldspar. They came out with a new formulation a while back but I've still got a couple of cans of the old stuff so don't know if it works any better.
I use it on plastic (formica), painted surfaces (I've removed overspray with it) and as the first step in cleaning the window glass if there is any crud on it.
Good for your fiberglass hot tub, too.

Wonder if something like Tilex or just bleach and water will work. If I do it in my shower stall w/ hot water it won't ruin my grass and will clean my shower stall. LOL Thanks!
Merian wrote:
I use a spray bleach product for mold and baby moss here in the Great NW.

I knew someone here would know something affordable to use!

tam

Making it special:
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
You use Bon Ami on your aluminum wheels? I've never actually seen it and use Comet or Ajax myself. Looked it up, seems it's less abrasive than what I have and is known for cleaning aluminum. I will check Target/Walmart next time I'm in the States. Thanks!

tam

I'm not sure how hard the plastic clear coat is over the aluminum. You can use Bon Ami (you'd think they could source that out of Quebec, non?) on fiberglass gel coat, like your shower stall / hot tub / boat / cast resin bathroom sink all of which are pretty soft so "probably". Try it "out of sight" so if it scuffs the coating it will be "out of mind".
This stuff (Bon Ami) is way softer than Comet or Ajax. Those brands make liquid cleaners for plastic tubs, too, but they contain some chemicals.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My project once the kids go to bed tonight! Thanks!

I found the Bon Ami at Ace Hardware in Blaine WA. Yeah!

tam
Dampcamper wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

tam

I'm not sure how hard the plastic clear coat is over the aluminum. You can use Bon Ami (you'd think they could source that out of Quebec, non?) on fiberglass gel coat, like your shower stall / hot tub / boat / cast resin bathroom sink all of which are pretty soft so "probably". Try it "out of sight" so if it scuffs the coating it will be "out of mind".
This stuff (Bon Ami) is way softer than Comet or Ajax. Those brands make liquid cleaners for plastic tubs, too, but they contain some chemicals.

From this:

To this:

Each wheel took about 45min. 3hr to do all four.

I used:
2 cans of Bon Ami, it is a good friend indeed!
1 bottle of Palmolive (dish soap).
My favourite dish brush from the kitchen.
My favourite scrub brush for the floors.
Face cloth (wanted the smaller size and bumpier fabric than my dish clothes).
My dh's toothbrush. Should have replaced it before I left with it b/c he was none to pleased when he couldn't find his toothbrush. Twisted Evil I guess I could have returned it when I was done. Wink

Some, but not a lot of scrubbing.

There are still a few slight dark/dirty little corners, which I'll get to another time. The inside still has black lines on them, but I didn't scrub them very much and I won't see that. Yet, it still bothers me. LOL

tam

Making it special:
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I saw this too late to be of help to Tam but I'll put this here for future folk. For the same wheel cleaning task and many others, I use "Spray 9". I don't like to breathe any chemical fumes and try to avoid these, as well. It's not a strong smell but I can't imagine any chemicals being good to breathe.

The other product I use for cleaning greasy car parts is "S 100". It is a motorcycle cleaning product from Germany. Won't harm surfaces and is effective.

With both products, the backs of wheels will need scrubbing as well. But more like 15 min. each to get super clean.

I think you can find Spray 9 in some auto stores and S 100 is at most motorcycle shops.

Chuey
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will try the Spray 9 on the cracks I couldn't get into. There are still a few dirty spots. My preference always goes to affordable and non-toxic non-corrosive first, then if I can't get the job done, I'll try something more aggressive...I also don't want to damage the finish.

There are still some little tiny pits/holes (inside the spokes) with dirt in them and then the cracks and corners.

Oh, do I need to and/or can I put a layer of wax (or something??) on them once I am happy with them?

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

tam
Chuey wrote:
I guess I saw this too late to be of help to Tam but I'll put this here for future folk. For the same wheel cleaning task and many others, I use "Spray 9". I don't like to breathe any chemical fumes and try to avoid these, as well. It's not a strong smell but I can't imagine any chemicals being good to breathe.

The other product I use for cleaning greasy car parts is "S 100". It is a motorcycle cleaning product from Germany. Won't harm surfaces and is effective.

With both products, the backs of wheels will need scrubbing as well. But more like 15 min. each to get super clean.

I think you can find Spray 9 in some auto stores and S 100 is at most motorcycle shops.

Chuey

Making it special:
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wax on - wax off, Grasshopper.

Once it is on the vehicle, you most likely won't ever wax them again, though.

Chuey
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wax on with this? On the wheels? Or on the Vanagon? I used NuFinish last year on the Vanagon. Can I use this on both the wheels and the metal?

So far I used the metal cleaner/finisher Kam suggested last year. It looks good. I've used nothing on the inside, yet...

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-123R-Super-Liqu...turtle+wax

Or THIS? It's specifically for metal?

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-280RA-Chrome-Re...turtle+wax

Then there was also this one, but the other looked easier to use:

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-222R-Super-Shel...turtle+wax

I also found THIS. Can I use it on the Vanagon? On the scratched metal? Shocked The original owners didn't put a clear coat of any kind on it when they bought it new. Sad

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-415-Premium-Com...turtle+wax

Chuey wrote:
Wax on - wax off, Grasshopper.

Once it is on the vehicle, you most likely won't ever wax them again, though.

Chuey

And, since I'm doing all that waxing, finally bought the Nature's ball for $24....

thanks!

tam

Moderator edit: Large product photos swapped for smaller ones.

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple Green ROCKS! I forget who suggested it to me, thank you to you!
[img]
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/043318139321_4.jpg[/img][url]
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/simple-green-32oz-...12:s[/url]

I used it to clean my hubcaps today and with hardly any scrubbing, I pretty much gave up on them last year after scrubbing and scrubbing and having them still look dirty...Sprayed w/ Simple Green and my general car wash scrub brush and WOW, do they look great. If I didn't hate hubcaps so much, I might be sad to see them go. Wink

I also noticed when using the metal polish that I'd scrubbed the inside of my new wheels so much that I appear to have scrubbed some of the finish (paint?) off. It's the inside and they're clean and now have metal polish on them. Do I also need to wax them?

Also, which do people prefer and why NuFinish, Turtle Wax or something else? My bottle of NuFinish is finished. I'd bought a bottle of Turtle Wax, but wound up using the Metal Polish on my wheels. Just debating keeping vs returning it. My Vanagon does not have any kind of clear coat finish on it, unlike my car...Shame!

Oh, and for all the black plastic'ish exterior parts (mirrors, grills, bumper end caps, and wipers), what do people PUT on them to clean them up and revive them a bit?

How do you get NuFinish off the above black parts when you get a bit on here and there.

Finally, super sad, did my Spring Cleaning today (wash, vacuum and NuFinish) and found *several* rust spots in my wheel wells. One above the stove window (that I'd put paint on last year and is now bigger). And, a spot that looks like it was once repaired (be weary of old repairs) near the foot well and now doesn't look right, as the cancer grows. Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Sad Crying or Very sad Top of repair list!

tam

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Do I also need to wax them?

I don't, but perhaps others do.

tam_shops wrote:
Also, which do people prefer and why NuFinish, Turtle Wax or something else?

I, personally, don't like NuFinish, and that's putting it politely. Turtle Wax is good; can't go wrong with it. I use Meguiar's products.

tam_shops wrote:
Oh, and for all the black plastic'ish exterior parts (mirrors, grills, bumper end caps, and wipers), what do people PUT on them to clean them up and revive them a bit?

Removing wax/polish from black parts: rubbing alcohol, followed by a protectant. To revive that stuff, there are a number of products on the market like Forever Black. If it's all bad enough that it's now a grayish color, Kiwi Shoe Dye works well. To protect plastic and rubber: 303 Aerospace Protectant. If rubber has begun to dry out, use baby oil on it.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS! Very Happy

Curious why you do not like NuFinish? Will see if I can swap the Turtle Wax for Meguiars at Canadian Tire. Think you've said before you like Meguiars, will just start checking for that in general. Got their plastic cleaner last time I was shopping.

This shoe dye?

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-118-006-2-5-Leather-Bla...i+shoe+dye

This protectant?

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30350-Aerospace...protectant

How do I know if I need the shoe dye or the Forever Black? Mine is a general dull grey colour. It really wasn't *as* noticeable, until I got those great DRLs!

Thanks!

tam

Moderator edit: Smaller product photos inserted.

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
I also found THIS. Can I use it on the Vanagon? On the scratched metal? Shocked The original owners didn't put a clear coat of any kind on it when they bought it new. Sad

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-415-Premium-Com...turtle+wax

Rubbing compounds are used on paint that has been allowed to dull and severely oxidize, and usually after polishing compound hasn't done a good enough job. For example:

If your paint doesn't look like the "before" section of that Beetle, don't use a rubbing compound. Instead, use a polish and/or paint cleaner and/or clay bar.

tam_shops wrote:
THANKS! Very Happy

Curious why you do not like NuFinish?

Because 20 years ago NuFinish was a crappy product. Used it once, then it sat in a cabinet until it dried out. Perhaps the formula has changed, but there are better products on the market, in my opinion.

tam_shops wrote:
Will see if I can swap the Turtle Wax for Meguiars at Canadian Tire.

Turtle Wax still makes good stuff. Car detailing products are like personal care products: Everyone has their favorites; just because I prefer one brand, doesn't mean you'll prefer it too. Wink Try the Turtle Wax; if it works well and you like it, keep it and try Meguiar's next time.

And, yes, liquid waxes/polishes are easier to use than tub pastes.

tam_shops wrote:
This shoe dye?
http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-118-006-2-5-Leather-Bla...i+shoe+dye [/url]

This protectant?
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30350-Aerospace...protectant

Yes and yes.

tam_shops wrote:
How do I know if I need the shoe dye or the Forever Black? Mine is a general dull grey colour. It really wasn't *as* noticeable, until I got those great DRLs!

Both will work, the shoe dye is simply easier to come by in most areas. For some reason, Forever Black is not available at most auto parts stores. Example of what the dye can do:

I used the dye on a portion of my van's lower grille; it worked, but not good enough. My lower grille is beyond standard help at this point. It'll be removed, sanded, and painted.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: