Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses what to clean where?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbing compound is useful for swirls and haziness in your clearcoat.

It's won't work like it did on that Beetle's acrylic enamel paint if you use that rubbing compound on newer clearcoat systems. Once you burn through the clearcoat, the paint is shot and needs to be resprayed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kam, thank you, thank you and thank you again!

Found everything on Amazon, ordered most of it!

Meguiars Carnauba Wax (liquid), thought I should go easier since it'll be my first time. Wink I now see why you don't like the NuFinish, I asked my guy why there were white lines all over my paint. What'd he say? It's the NuFinish, I don't like it. LOL Another Vanagon friend told me he loves it. What colour is his Vanagon? White. I get it, personal products for different reasons. LOL

Got the Forever Black, hopefully it helps the situation and does not make it worse!

Got the 303 for the Canvas, but not the detailing one, last bottle is still 1/3 full, will finish it....

Cleaning my Vanagon is far more fun than cleaning my house! LOL
kamzcab86 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Because 20 years ago NuFinish was a crappy product. Used it once, then it sat in a cabinet until it dried out. Perhaps the formula has changed, but there are better products on the market, in my opinion.

tam_shops wrote:
Will see if I can swap the Turtle Wax for Meguiars at Canadian Tire.

Turtle Wax still makes good stuff. Car detailing products are like personal care products: Everyone has their favorites; just because I prefer one brand, doesn't mean you'll prefer it too. Wink Try the Turtle Wax; if it works well and you like it, keep it and try Meguiar's next time.

And, yes, liquid waxes/polishes are easier to use than tub pastes.

This protectant?
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30350-Aerospace...protectant

Both will work, the shoe dye is simply easier to come by in most areas. For some reason, Forever Black is not available at most auto parts stores. Example of what the dye can do:

I used the dye on a portion of my van's lower grille; it worked, but not good enough. My lower grille is beyond standard help at this point. It'll be removed, sanded, and painted.[/quote]

Thanks, it does not look like that, will skip it and see how the other stuff works before ordering anything else....

tam
nemobuscaptain wrote:
Rubbing compound is useful for swirls and haziness in your clearcoat.

It's won't work like it did on that Beetle's acrylic enamel paint if you use that rubbing compound on newer clearcoat systems. Once you burn through the clearcoat, the paint is shot and needs to be resprayed.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, wow and WOW!

Finally got around to using my new wax today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UNOYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Meguiar's G7016 Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax
Wish I'd done some before and after pictures, but couldn't find the camera! It made all the little white lines everywhere disappear! With out a doubt WAY better than NuFinish! How often do I apply it? I know it's when the water doesn't ball up, but I never really notice the water not balling up, so maybe I'm not waiting enough already? It made the black on my mirrors SHINE. Was I supposed to put it on the black of my mirrors? I actually wasn't planning on it, got some on by accident and then saw how great it looked and finished it off! I'd compare it to how black the Forever Black made everything, but am curious which will last longer!

I used the Forever Black on everything that was black (except the mirrors b/c it didn't occur to me and then I got wax on them). I think that shoe one might have been easier to use, but ***NOTE*** when you get it on the paint, lights or other things, it's REALLY hard to get off. Like REALLY hard. It'd be a genius that invents this stuff in different colours to fix rock chips and stuff in a less damaging way than paint!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOIJXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 WOW! It looks so much better! I had to do two coats on the lower grill, didn't get around to a second coat on my upper grill, will see how it looks. Looked a bit patchy, but it was getting dark and the bugs were starting to eat me.

It looks Sooooo much better thanks Kam! Very Happy

Then, finally I got around do Whink Rust Remover:
http://www.amazon.com/Whink-01281-Rust-Stain-Remov...st+remover
Not as big a fan of this stuff as everything else b/c it bleached the rust mark out of the fabric. I could have done that for free with the bottle of bleach I have. Or, better yet, the liquid dishwasher bleach soap I have. I'm happy the marks are gone, it looks better, it wasn't expensive, but I wouldn't buy it again, personally...

And, then once clean, I sprayed the 303 Fabric Guard on. The one bottle was enough to do all 4 sides of the canvas. Be careful with the stuff, it says NOT to get on rubber. It made the pop top luggage rack shine when I got some on their by accident. Not really sure what is in the stuff, but don't think it's was very good for the paint!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096PRFC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now to order the 303 Protectant, thought I had, but must have missed it...Now, I'm all waxed and painted up and can't protect it!

Found the camera:
After

After

Before

Picture makes it look a bit patchy, the top one still looked a bit patchy, but bottom one did not, will have to go and take a look at it again!

Can I put WAX over it to protect it, or is that what the 303 protectant is for?

Thanks!

tam

kamzcab86 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
Do I also need to wax them?

I don't, but perhaps others do.

tam_shops wrote:
Also, which do people prefer and why NuFinish, Turtle Wax or something else?

I, personally, don't like NuFinish, and that's putting it politely. Turtle Wax is good; can't go wrong with it. I use Meguiar's products.

tam_shops wrote:
Oh, and for all the black plastic'ish exterior parts (mirrors, grills, bumper end caps, and wipers), what do people PUT on them to clean them up and revive them a bit?

Removing wax/polish from black parts: rubbing alcohol, followed by a protectant. To revive that stuff, there are a number of products on the market like Forever Black. If it's all bad enough that it's now a grayish color, Kiwi Shoe Dye works well. To protect plastic and rubber: 303 Aerospace Protectant. If rubber has begun to dry out, use baby oil on it.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses what to clean where? Reply with quote

Old thread I know.
1) Several years after new paint job I noticed cracks in paint at body seams, orange rust stains showing.
I applied Loctite Extend Rust Neutralizer to the cracks with a q-tip. After two applications the rust turned black, indicating successful conversion. Cracks can now be filled with touchup paint.

2) Tire dressing: I have used 303 protectant with acceptable results for many years. I don't like the "wet look" and I refuse to apply armorall.
When I purchased new tires for my other car recently, the dealer used a product called Tire Shine. Made in USA by REMA TIP TOP, P/N 90017. Package describes it as a "Water based Silicone Dressing, Non-Hazardous and VOC Compliant."
I was pleasantly surprised by this product- it dries to a non-greasy semigloss finish on tires, does not appear to attract dust and has withstood several car washes relatively intact.

I did not find this product locally, so I returned to the dealer and got a bottle from him. I used this yesterday on tires, grilles, bumper ends etc.
Results are promising.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses what to clean where? Reply with quote

Meguairs ceramic "wax" lasts longer than anything I've ever used - looks as good as their Gold Class Wax.

they have a spray it on version too for the ultra lazy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: