Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Squareback Found?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Got my 63s birth certificate today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Couple of questions for the group:

45 DIN PS?

DIN = "Deutsches Institut für Normung" The german standardization organization. In this case DIN specifies how the power of the engine is measured.

PS = "Pferdestärke" = horse power in german
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
Got my 63s birth certificate today.

Couple of questions for the group:

45 DIN PS?

DIN = "Deutsches Institut für Normung" The german standardization organization. In this case DIN specifies how the power of the engine is measured.

PS = "Pferdestärke" = horse power in german

Thank you for the translation!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
ibjack wrote:
Tram wrote:

You're right- my Canadian 1500 has the yellow sides also. So, the M445 "Canada Equipment" code likely was not just the '1500' badge, but that badge plus yellow side signals, plus red flat tail lenses, plus MPH speedo.

Monte, how does that info go as far as matching your car?

I'm not sure if a gas heater would be included in that. I'm thinking that would be its own M code like the later cars.

Incidentally, my Canadian issue car shows the country of destination as Mahag, Munich, Germany, so the Germany destination likely doesn't mean much in reality. Remember, a lot of these cars were Tourist Delivery.

And- to clear up my statement about yellow side markers as turn signals- AFAIK the Italian market was the only Euro market to mandate these.

I thought Canadian cars came without sidemarkers. My '65 is from there and has none?

We're guessing here on the 445 option. So far we have at least three cars with M445 and they all have the yellow side markers.

They're all '63s, too, though. I think things may have changed on the side markers in Canada sometime between '63 and '65, as my '66 Canadian delivery Type 34 had no markers either, and Karmann Ghia badges blanking off the side marker holes. There are lots of later Canadian 34s out there like that.

So, I got my certificate for my 64 today and I too have a 445 option, but I have no side markers. Also, I have a 253 option. The only additional things I can think of that are not clearly identifed on the certificate are that it's a Canadian model, has a gas heater; has chest belts; and no side markers.

Maybe we can solve this with enough common denominators...
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Tram wrote:
ibjack wrote:
Tram wrote:

You're right- my Canadian 1500 has the yellow sides also. So, the M445 "Canada Equipment" code likely was not just the '1500' badge, but that badge plus yellow side signals, plus red flat tail lenses, plus MPH speedo.

I'm not sure if a gas heater would be included in that. I'm thinking that would be its own M code like the later cars.

Incidentally, my Canadian issue car shows the country of destination as Mahag, Munich, Germany, so the Germany destination likely doesn't mean much in reality. Remember, a lot of these cars were Tourist Delivery.

And- to clear up my statement about yellow side markers as turn signals- AFAIK the Italian market was the only Euro market to mandate these.

I thought Canadian cars came without sidemarkers. My '65 is from there and has none?

We're guessing here on the 445 option. So far we have at least three cars with M445 and they all have the yellow side markers.

They're all '63s, too, though. I think things may have changed on the side markers in Canada sometime between '63 and '65, as my '66 Canadian delivery Type 34 had no markers either, and Karmann Ghia badges blanking off the side marker holes. There are lots of later Canadian 34s out there like that.

So, I got my certificate for my 64 today and I too have a 445 option, but I have no side markers. Also, I have a 253 option. The only additional things I can think of that are not clearly identifed on the certificate are that it's a Canadian model, has a gas heater; has chest belts; and no side markers.

Maybe we can solve this with enough common denominators...

Just posted on your thread. that 445 is something but you have 253 which I don't but am curious to find out as well. Maybe Tram can elaborate on the S -vs- E script markings.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you have side markers, but no M-297.

So does this mean that M-297 doesn't refer to Side Markers? OR is it that '63 was before no side markers was an option?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the stranger it is. So you have a car that has an unknown Canadian option (445), but was destined for Germany and is without M-297 (red rear lenses, sealed beams and “sideways blinking lights” (whatever that is).

Were tourist delivery cars equipped with sealed beams and other such North American equipment? If so, shouldn’t your car have an M-297?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Also, you have side markers, but no M-297.

So does this mean that M-297 doesn't refer to Side Markers? OR is it that '63 was before no side markers was an option?

Good question. My markers (amber -vs- red/white) could have been part of a package. But again, it's weird as it's labeled a 1500 so the destination based on the certificate, and where the car ended up creates a bit of a mystery. Wish a factory document could be found that posses all the variations of packages or options.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
The more I think about it, the stranger it is. So you have a car that has an unknown Canadian option (445), but was destined for Germany and is without M-297 (red rear lenses, sealed beams and “sideways blinking lights” (whatever that is).

Were tourist delivery cars equipped with sealed beams and other such North American equipment? If so, shouldn’t your car have an M-297?

Yeah, it is strange. I couldn't answer your question on the sealed beams and I agree if that was the case, I guess the car could have had them.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
ibjack wrote:
Tram wrote:

I'm wondering if the M445 cars that also have the unidentifed M253 code are all ones without sidemarkers? -working on a theory that M 253 is for Canadian (445) cars with deleted side markers.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Tram wrote:
ibjack wrote:
Tram wrote:

I'm wondering if the M445 cars that also have the unidentifed M253 code are all ones without sidemarkers? -working on a theory that M 253 is for Canadian (445) cars with deleted side markers.

You think countries or regions had specific codes for them? Would make sense as there could have been some limitations
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Squareback Found? Reply with quote

Fascinating thread - has there been any progress in the last 4 or 5 years?

Did you find any modifications to the engine bay to accommodate the twin carb engine? My May 63 Squareback is missing its engine and I have an option on a 64 S engine with twin carbs - I'd assumed it was a straight swap to put the 1500 S engine in but what will I need to modify?

Cheers, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Squareback Found? Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Fascinating thread - has there been any progress in the last 4 or 5 years?

Did you find any modifications to the engine bay to accommodate the twin carb engine? My May 63 Squareback is missing its engine and I have an option on a 64 S engine with twin carbs - I'd assumed it was a straight swap to put the 1500 S engine in but what will I need to modify?

Cheers, Dave

A twin carb engine can be fitted in an early without modifying the engine bay. But you need to modify some of the engine tin.

The tins needs to be shortened outside of the carbs and you need to install the carbs when the engine is in the car.

You also need to use accelerator pump covers like the upper version, not sure if they are early or late.

They have a shorter rod. The long version will hit the engine bay.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Squareback Found? Reply with quote

Thanks for a comprehensive reply 😃 That's very useful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Squareback Found? Reply with quote

Wow, I haven't posted on this page in a while. please excuse my pics not posting correctly. I moved them and saved them yet they posted on their sides.

The engine bay hasn't been cut into. I believe there is a hole that was drilled into it but the engine tin has been cut and modified to fit in the engine bay. This is a late 60s dual-port engine...

Moving along...

Had an opportunity to work with a friend on building a Type3 specific towbar. This is a two piece set up that allows for the bracket to fit in the front beam nice and snug and also have a pivot point low the bracket. I had this made as I had planned on moving this car to my Dads place. With the storm that just past which was looming after thanksgiving I had the prototype tested and was going to embark on an epic move around the storm into Southwest and head north into CA.

Got the car to Ca at Pops place without incident. Towing lights from HF worked very well and I hardly noticed I was towing a car, except I couldn't back up so I was very conscious of that fact wherever I went. Got a few thumbs up while on the road and was happy to get it to its resting spot. I have to make a mod to my tow bar as it moved a little over time but overall it functioned very well.

Mock fitting the towbar...

Good rolllers mounted on temp freshly rattle canned wheels. Cant let her been out in public without some decent looking wheels... Laughing Laughing

At Pops place. Exceptionally wet when I arrived compared to the snow mounds I left a week and hald ago.

and in her resting spot...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Squareback Found? Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Good work on the tow bar 😊
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Squareback Found? Reply with quote

Nice!
Look who’s back..! Cool

Lot of trust for that tow bar.
I’m scared to take mine outside of town.

Does this mean you’re moving here Question

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: