Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphore to Semaphore Replacement Wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Semaphore to Semaphore Replacement Wiring Reply with quote

I hope someone can help. I decided to go the non-traditional route and install a nice set of NOS semaphore replacements (elephant ears) on my 54.

When you remove the semaphores there are two wires on each side; a blue one which runs to the speedo for the indicator light and a black-striped wire to provide power from the turn signal switch.

My semaphore replacements only have one terminal, which goes to the light bulb. Pretty easy to make the lights work by connecting each black-striped wire to this terminal...now the problem

What do you connect the blue wire for speedometer indicator to? I know you don't connect it to the same terminal as the black-striped wire....this causes a loop and both turn signals come on

I want to keep the indicator light functioning, but what would you connect it to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find these semaphores? Are they reproduction? Don't understand how they only have one terminal?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... one wire runs the lights from the indicator and the other runs the solenoid to swap out the semaphores to use 'elephant ear' indicators I would imagine you simply just use both wires then on one terminal as they are both positive and driven by flipping the turn signal switch.

Worst case scenario is you pop a 10 cent fuse if not...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was to connect the two wires together, but this creates a loop between the two turn signals.

You see, the two blue wires connect together at the speedo, so if you connect the blue to the black-striped, when you turn on the signals they both come on. Basically your sending power through the blue wire on one side, to the speedo connection, which is shared with the other side...both lights work regardless of which direction you flip the switch.

What really bugs me is that with the blue indicator wire tied to the signal power wire, the dang indicator light on the speedo comes on without even flipping the signal switch. When you flip the switch, the signals come on, but the indicator goes off! How does that work??? the blue wires should have zero power running to them until you flip the signal switch.

I can easily make the signals work properly, but this dang indicator light is going to kill me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUBA wrote:
Where did you find these semaphores? Are they reproduction? Don't understand how they only have one terminal?

They are not semphores, they are semaphore replacements...basically are regular turn signal light that mounts where the semaphores were...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So looking at the later model (early 60's VW) wiring diagram, I guess I need to install a dang turn signal relay to make the indicator work?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
So looking at the later model (early 60's VW) wiring diagram, I guess I need to install a dang turn signal relay to make the indicator work?

Yeah sorry my bad I was thinking you already had a flasher in it. So yes it will need a flasher and then a little rewiring on the blue wires to go to the flasher first and then onto the indicator to work as intended...
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have the original 3-position bulbholder at the bottom of your speedo, the common terminal there is ignition powered, and the turn signal indicator light needs a GROUND to complete the circuit. It is the same idea as the oil pressure sensor.
Normally with the semaphore, the blue wire gets connected to ground when the spike at the end of the semaphore piston comes down (semaphore arm up)and touches a ground contact.
To get the indicator light to come on properly in your new situation, it needs to see ground when your turnsignal gets power. One way to do this is to use a relay which connects the lamp to ground when energized. If the light must also blink, then it will require a special flasher connection, or you could try using a special two terminal speedo bulb socket that insulates the bulb from the common ignition connection on the 3-position bulbholder.

H.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitter:

Thank you for the explanation, which makes perfect sense now.

My 54 has the three month only type 1 speedo where the signal indictor is at the top of the speedo, high beam light is at the bottom between the oil and gen light.

I will have to buy the flasher/turn signal relay from WW. I'm just glad there's a simple solution
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Zwitter:

Thank you for the explanation, which makes perfect sense now.

My 54 has the three month only type 1 speedo where the signal indictor is at the top of the speedo, high beam light is at the bottom between the oil and gen light.

I will have to buy the flasher/turn signal relay from WW. I'm just glad there's a simple solution

Well hold on. Zwitter is 100% right, BUT, if in your speedo that indicator bulb is grounded to the speedo housing when installed, things get more complicated. Can you post a pic of the backside of the speedo?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew how to post pictures I would...the turn signal indicator bulb is right at 12 0'clock on the speedo housing, and the housing is grounded.

I would assume the bulb holder is grounded to the casing

UPDATE:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=923657

Here is a pic of my speedo...see the bulb at the bottom (bottom of pic, but actually top of speedo), with the ground lug, that is the indicator bulb holder
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting beast, that 3 month only '54 speedo. That turn signal bulb looks to have two terminals instead of just the normal one on the bulbholder, the casing being ground. If you can't tell just by looking at it, use an ohmeter or test light to confirm that the two screw terminals for that bulb are isolated from the main housing. If so, it is similar to a normal speedo, and what I wrote should be correct.

Yep, us electrical engineers have to keep each other on the ball, right JH?

If this weird 54 speedo is the way I think it is, then the 3-position bulbholder at the botton is also a one-off....with the middle position NOT connected to ignition, but instead picking up a ground nearby.

Neat stuff....wonder why VW did that experiment.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitter, you are correct on the bottom three as well...

How do I perform the test you mentioned? I do have a voltmeter...
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a multimeter with settings for continuity or ohms, just touch one test probe on the speedo housing, and the other on each of the two bulb screw terminals in turn. If you only get open circuit readings, then that bulb socket is isolated from the housing ground.

I suspect that this is the case, because otherwise there would be only one screw terminal there, the housing being ground. I checked a 1959 Ghia speedo this morning and the turn indicator at the top has two terminals, and they are isolated from the housing ground. You can actually see a black plastic insulator at the base of this special bulbholder. The high beam indicator, at the center bottom, is grounded through a small metal strip riveted to the housing, and bulb holder in that position is NOT connected to ignition +6V. So, this Ghia speedo is just like yours.

If you don't have a multimeter or ohm-meter, it's probably easier to just throw together and use a small continuity test light (A small battery in series with a test bulb of same voltage, test leads from the free ends).

Cheers,
H
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I buy the WW turn signal flasher relay, will this work either way? Couldn't I just remove the ground wire on the indicator bulb housing and use the ground on the relay switch?
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the WW flashers. If they have 3 terminals marked +15, 54, and K, then it should work. Splice it in to the line connected to the common terminal of the turn signal switch. Connect +15 to ignition, connect 54 to the common terminal on your turn signal switch, and connect the K terminal to where the blue wires used to attach on your (isolated) indicator bulb at the top of your speedo. The other terminal for the indicator bulb would remain connected to +15 ignition.

A "K" terminal provides a pulsed ground connection, which is what you want.

Make sense?

Cheers,
H
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, bought the $12 flasher unit from Wolfsburg West, easy install and everything works great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: