Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Fishynos72 wrote:
Took my SLR along,

I was a bit confused when you mentioned "SLR"

sounded a bit like: "I have a Volkswagen bug, but my other car is an SLR; I drag it along just in case the VW breaks down"
Laughing

Thanks to my friend google I now know it's a photo camera, thanks for educating me Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

That radio is super cool! Fingers crossed it works when you wire it up to a speaker. Even if it doesn't work it looks amazing in the dash. You can always stash a Bluetooth speaker in your glovebox.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

That's awsome! It's even got the correct type of patina for your car! Stay safe
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
I was a bit confused when you mentioned "SLR"
Sounded a bit like: "I have a Volkswagen bug, but my other car is an SLR; I drag it along just in case the VW breaks down"

That did cross my mind when I wrote SLR. While they’re a nice car, I don’t need another car I can’t drive on unsealed roads.

vwuberalles wrote:
That radio is super cool! Fingers crossed it works when you wire it up to a speaker. Even if it doesn't work it looks amazing in the dash. You can always stash a Bluetooth speaker in your glovebox.

Fingers crossed. I do have a pair of Bluetooth earmuffs I tend to wear on longer trips in the car, stops my head ringing.

Chickensoup wrote:
That's awsome! It's even got the correct type of patina for your car! Stay safe

Thanks. The black part of the face-plate throws off the look a little. See how my spare face turns out once I remove the black part of the panel.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Finally had some time to do something with my spare radio faceplate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not quite finished, as I'm waiting on a replacement VW logo for the hole on the rh side. I think it suits the dash a little better in silver. I'm sure it'll divide onion.

Looking forward to coming out of Covid lockdown in 2 weeks, just in time for the warmer weather.

It'll be the first time the car has been driven long distance, and not under any Covid restrictions.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Seeing this, I'm really surprised that at right hand cars, VW left the ignition key on the left side...
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Seeing this, I'm really surprised that at right hand cars, VW left the ignition key on the left side...

Yes an odd quirk. Even our locally manufactured type 1s had the ignition in the same spot on later years.

Makes little sense as the dash panel pressing is rhd the wiring loom too. Just an odd carry over from LHD.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Found some boxes recently, full of goodies I'd put away. It's taken 7 pages of this thread, and roughly 8 years for them to be fitted to the car.

I started with a period can of 'snake oil'

I'm about to embark on it's first test drive, once I've typed this up. I doubt it'll make a notable difference.

Sperrwolf shift lock, I bought off a friend, who unfortunately is no longer with us. I completely tore this down, had the body colour matched to what little original paint remained, then sprayed it in 2 pack. I had the hardware you don't see zinc plated, and the cap, and slide chromed. A new pair of keys matched to the original barrel and the results you see here.

I think the boot is incorrect, but it's grey so it fits the theme for now. I may brush the raised VW logos with a silver paint, still not sure on that.

Last on the list for trinket Sunday, I fitted an 80's Hella red tip stalk, after messing around with it for an hour, I think the bulb is blown. At some point it's been glued together, so I'm not sure how to go about reaching the bulb without it shattering.

I'd love an original 50s/60s SWF version as they're so nicely sculpted compared to the 'reproduction', but the cost is hard to justify.

For what it's worth I'll update this with my thoughts on fitting the Judson 'Magneto' (without changing anything else).

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Only had a few trips in the beetle since fitting the Judson 'Magneto'.

It doesn't 'ease with cold starting' as the brochure claims. Car starts and runs exactly the same, if anything hot starting may actually be worse.

I did notice on a longer drive this week, after spending 2 hours in traffic, outside temp above 30C, that in 3rd gear around 60kms under slight load, I heard what I can only describe as the spark breaking down. The car didn't seem to have an obvious lack in power, but wouldn't accelerate through the 'misfire'.

I think I'll be acquiring a new 6 volt bosch coil to test in comparison. The restored original coil performs perfectly fine, but I'd like to rule out any possibility of with a new item. Yes I am aware 'new' stands for "never ever worked".

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Long time, no update.

I got inspired a few weeks ago, and next thing you know.....

The engine was out.

So the plan was; major engine service, engine firewall tar board, new engine bay seal, new heater cables, rear transmission mounts and a bloody good clean.

This was all that was left of the old engine bay seal. (Had to chisel it out, nightmare inducing exercise).

Que the cleaning music.

Really happy with how the paintwork cleaned up. Also a good reference to what colour the car is meant to be without the years of sun and abuse.

After an expensive phone call, this arrived. Merry Christmas to me!

So I got cracking

Biggest issue with the car was the original clutch slipping. Thankfully I had one ready to go in.

The final results make me so happy.

Now the engine has a few KMs on it since it's rebuild. I've put some more advance into the timing, and leaned out the fat fuel mixture I was running before. Coupled with a non slipping clutch, it's a lot better to drive now.

I've also re-fitted the original coil as I had poor results with what I thought might be the Judson magneto. I still sometimes get a hesitation just off idle and the occasional pop up the intake. More adjustment is needed, but overall I'm very happy with the results.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Well done!

Happy new year and stay safe!
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Well done!

Happy new year and stay safe!

Thank you, and a happy new year to you too.

Hopefully 2021 is an improvement upon 2020

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

dude it looks a million times better! job well done mate!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
dude it looks a million times better! job well done mate!

Thank you, It's a long way to a much nicer engine bay.

Just for giggles, I've been keeping an eye out for Australian VW radios. This example has been listed in the UK. It's the same style as the one in the brochure I posted previously.

It's also good reference for an original example of the VW logo Astor fitted to their radios.

This example is probably more correct for my year car, and would be perfect with the correct VW knobs fitted.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
keegs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

inspiring ... motivating... thanks for sharing
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

The little car went on it's first car club cruise this Sunday just gone.

Some very interesting cars in attendance, including Australia's only Peugeot 309 GTI.

36hp didn't skip a beat down the Calder freeway for an hour post our hill run.

The car is happy to sit upwards of 100km/h without strain, just terrible when we get above 10% gradient on hills. I find it strange as I've found 36hp to be fairly torque happy for their size. Might have to look into that

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

For me it sounds normal. That is why people got lucky when VW introduced the 40hp. And much later with the 1300 F engine, you could get uphill without any notice.
Glad you're driving it!
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
For me it sounds normal. That is why people got lucky when VW introduced the 40hp. And much later with the 1300 F engine, you could get uphill without any notice.
Glad you're driving it!

I'm glad too, having a great time behind the wheel. I get some amazing reactions from people, no matter the age, or brand of vehicle they're driving.

My 72 super beetle with its factory 1600dp definitely doesn't struggle like the 36hp on hills. I find this strange given the plethora of Mountains available to German drivers.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Hello again,

Been enjoying weekly drives in the beetle.

After a few instances of bystanders and friends passing comment on "how dim the brake lights are". I figured if left unresolved the next person to tell me was likely to be someone whose just run into the back of me.

Que some Samba Classifieds shopping.

Thanks to Chip, I promptly received a beautifully made LED taillight kit.

This is just how the parkers look.

For those (like me) who have been thinking of doing this, please do yourself a favour and go buy a set. They're idiot proof install wise, and dramatically improve the response of your brake lights. I couldn't be happier. Nothing needs to be irreversibly changed, and it took me about half an hour to do.

Here's the link for the kit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=892796

Please save your vintage VWs and yourself some heartache and be proactive. Get a set before someone doesn't see your brake lights.

Thank you for attending my Ted-Talk.
(This post is not sponsored by Chip, I just genuinely like his product)

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
As I write this Melbourne is back in lockdown.

Not a lot to tell about the beetle lately. Have been mostly enjoying driving it around.

Back in December, I put together an article for my local Vw club magazine. Ive previously served a stint as editor of the magazine, they're always looking for members to write articles.

It was nice to revisit the journey thats lead the car to its current state.

Since my last post Ive gotten married and changed jobs.

Hopefully I'll have some updates, despite heading into winter here.

Cheers

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: