Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Today was the big day.

3rd day of the Geelong revival festival of speed.
With the forecast very poor I figured I'd put my faith it what little I can do to prepare the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also broke this again- can't really weld this one if it breaks again.

Today was the first time I've properly driven the beetle in the rain.
Up before dawn to make it on time

Spent the whole hour and a half drive moping the inside of the windshield- turns out the original crusty seal leaks on the freeway.

It's a shame the rain halved the cars and people who turned up. Also caused hardly anyone to dress up. previously it was more like Goodwood with most people going dressed in the era of their car.

I was chuffed at the response my car got though- couldn't get a clear photo of it all day. Hopefully some appear online- I'll re post them here if they do.

Thank you to Richard for the following photos

The red beetle next to me had a sectioned body recaros and a corvair engine

Thanks to the VWhub for the following images

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

i love how this car is constantly evolving... all the while behind the scenes the next stages are being prepped, bits rebuilt and the finishing parts sourced.

i realized you have never mentioned your "new" exhaust or the flash period aircleaner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
i love how this car is constantly evolving... all the while behind the scenes the next stages are being prepped, bits rebuilt and the finishing parts sourced.

i realized you have never mentioned your "new" exhaust or the flash period aircleaner.

Thank you for the kind words.

You are indeed correct as usual. I've forgotten to mention a few odds and ends.

In lieu of an actual update I'll cover off on those first.

Henry and Myself were chatting about how my car needed some sort of period correct exhaust to round out what I have already gathered for the engine.

The very next day day while browsing facebook marketplace, a VW vender who does mostly wheel and suspension work listed 1.5 36hp engines he was looking to offload.

Well the mostly complete engine had a rather special exhaust bolted to it.
Unfortunately the seller wouldn't split the exhaust from the engine.

So a several hour round trip resulted in this mess coming home with me.

The engine dropped all its oil the back of my van. Not exactly a highlight of the trip.

But it was all worth it for the sake of this crusty diamond in the rough.

For those who can't tell straight away the exhaust pictured is produced locally in Australia by Lukey.

As soon as the Volkswagen came to Australia officially in 1953/4 they were right onto the 'DIY performance' side of things launching the quad piped piece legend below.

Not the above advert is for 1957and for a trial car! - the names listed are a big deal in that era of VW in Australia.

Realising that not everyone could handle the power created by four exhaust pipes Lukey brought out a more subtle version, now often referred to as the Lukey swivel tip 'performance muffler'

Thus begins the journey of a fairly hefty restoration.

The first victory came with the extraction of the ruminants of well worn 'J' tubes, thankfully with no harm to the muffler.

With that sorted my attention turned to the tailpipe removal. Because of the 'ball socket' flange that the pipes and muffler use, a broken bolt would take serious work to rectify.

Thankfully all either bolts came free with no damage.

Then it was the task of the only hole in the muffler, that of impact not rust thankfully.

A quick bath in some flying sand saw it look like this

From there a carefully matched 'dry silver' high temperature finish was chosen to return that freshly made look of Lukey products.

The money shot

Then came some challenges, first where to obtain the impirial bolts that had very specific 'black' oil based finishing and head markings.
So they were ordered in from the USA

I couldn't get the 'star' securing washers in the same black finish.

From there the tailpipes went away for a month. Hours of polishing and then finally a good coating of shiny returned these results.

And then installed

I've had it on the car for probably near on six months now.

It's no louder than the donnish stock reproduction exhaust I had fitted before. But it is slightly deeper in tone.
It weighs about twice as much as the previous exhaust. An indication as to how much steel original exhausts of the time used.

I'll have something to update with soon. Hopefully this entertains until then.

P.S as to the 'performance' aspect of this exhaust...... I've not felt anything on the butt-dyno. Given how much more it weighs I'd suggest any gains would be cancelled out.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

i had forgotten how much work you put into that exhaust.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
i had forgotten how much work you put into that exhaust.

Unfortunately the work is disproportionate to the difference in sound and performance. Laughing Laughing

Still it's a cool talking point. Older members of the car shows tend to bring it up.

"Lukey? More like leaky!"

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Hello all,

Apologies for the lack of updates here. Progress came to a screeching holt when my daily drive was run into by an unlicensed driver. Having sorted that all out and being out of a pocket quite an awful amount just to have my car back on the road. My shed space and attention can return to my older cars.

A little while ago some photos surfaced from members of my local Volkswagen club, and their cars during the 1960s.

A late 50s 36hp mixed into those photos caught my attention.

There is a lot to unpack in this image. The duel carb setup for example - short manifolds, a brand/style I've not come across previously.

The pipework for the oil pressure switches is a little messy, but functional and easy to see for leaks and service.

The coil is of particular interest as I was looking for something locally manufactured and period correct.

So you can imagine how happy I was when this appeared on Facebook this week.

Is my car worthy of such a NOS part?..... Probably not. But it's the exact coil in the photo, and its production date is 1959.

In conjunction with a locally manufactured twin carb set from the period, the final stages of my engine modifications is taking shape

I intend to enjoy the car over the summer months, and the finally make a move completing the interior and panel work as we enter the wet season next year.

I'll keep you in the loop

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Good morning, and a merry Christmas to my samba family.

Apologies this thread has been very slow as of late.

This Christmas morning Ive quickly gone over the car and decided despite the heat of today's weather that we should visit family in the beetle.

Apologies for the uninspired photo. Hopefully I'll have more exciting updates in the new year.

Stay safe, wash your hands and wash your cars.
Bring on 2023.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Evening all,

Doing some cleaning today and decided to have a play with some linkages, one thing lead to another....

My engine half fell apart.

And then it fought me all the way back together

It looks further along than it actually is.

Over the next few days I'll need to repair a pulled manifold stud, and find a solution for a throttle cable that suits the linkage

It's also been suggested that the linkage appears too modern and thus out of place. Painting or coating in a more period appropriate finish may help.

Hopefully won't be so long between updates.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Excellent work on the Lukey refurb!
Quote:
It's also been suggested that the linkage appears too modern and thus out of place. Painting or coating in a more period appropriate finish may help.

Consider hammer-tone spray paint. Here in the USA we have the very popular Rust-O-Leum brand. They have hammer finishes in silver, gold, light blue, copper, grey; and a few others. I painted a pair of chrome dual carb air cleaners in the light blue to create an older appearance. It takes some practice to get a uniform hammer effect- watch the hand movement speed, distance to the object, spray pattern overlap.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion.
I hadn't considered a hammer-tone finish.

Locally it would seem period stuff would have a 'dusty silver' finish. Initially I thought was just a cheap local paint- but it seems to hold up very well to age and use.

As I'll be modifying the linkage further to achieve full range of travel, the blue zine finish will be coming off the rods at a minium.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Apologies.

I realised I haven't covered why my beetle now has a twin carb setup in this thread.

During the 36hp era of Volkswagen in Australia, racing driver George Reynolds who partook in formula vee, touring car racing and cross Australia rally events all the way from the 1950's into the 1990s, often build and developed products for his own cars. (porting his cylinder heads after acquiring dental equipment from his neighbour) then began to offer those products for sale- usually postal/magazine products, even breaking into the UK market.

His home address listed is not far from where I live. (Modern units now occupy the site).

Here's what I've heard regarding these carb kits.
There's at least 3 known styles - possibly more

Early with no balance pipe setup
Mid- with balance pipe setups- casting is the same, but cleaner and modified to suit
Later- stale air 40hp flange on the original casting.

I have a photo of the original Reynolds linkage setup somewhere (I don't own an example unfortunately) and it's a very basic collection of bent rods offering no fine adjustment from what I understand.

See below the first set of manifolds I acquired 10 years ago when I first bought this beetle.

While this early style pictured is 110% period perfect for my car, when a later set with the balance pipe setup came my way, I've decided to make use of them.
Mainly as they're more common- and because the base flange is revised to prevent breakage as per all the early examples. You'll struggle to find a set not previously repaired.

Finally a UK advert for the kit.

I know of 2 other vehicles running and driving with this setup- 1 in the UK in a beautiful cabriolet with an adapted linkage setup from another brand.
The second is in an original paint oval beetle in Australia- running the CSP linkage as I am too.
The soon to be 4th is in a restored oval- with hints of 'old speed' that will again run the modified CSP linkage.

I know there'll be more unknown examples being used elsewhere and I hope my posts encourage people to run the weird and quirky locally made items.

George also has some other VW performance parts for sale

But that's a post for another day....

Today I repaired the manifold stud I pulled from the head, and my good friend has made me a custom length throttle cable to suit the new setup.

Thank you to Henry once again for all the potential solutions to this common 36hp issue.
I chose the safe option within my skill set of making a stepped stud.

While I haven't sorted my cable issues quite yet, I finally had the opportunity crack this lovely piece of kit out.

Hopefully tomorrow includes a test drive.

Cheers

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Evening.

Finally took the beetle around the block, and then to working the following day.

Bogs down on initial take off. Possibly jetting combined with adjustment of the accelerator pumps being required.

The linkage requires work to achieve full throttle travel.

Next Sunday I intend to run the vehicle in a car cruise with a "dial-in times" section.

Can confirm two Solex sound incredible, much like ITB of your favourite Rally car but in slow motion.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Quote:
Bogs down on initial take off. Possibly jetting combined with adjustment of the accelerator pumps being required.

I see an issue with the right carb's throttle arm which can contribute to your driveability.

On your LEFT carb, there are 2 small arms shaped like a backwards L which attach to the carb's throttle shaft. The distance from the shaft to the end where the carb crossbar arm ball socket/stud is attached is approx. 1.5". Also, the 2 arms are well positioned so that the crossbar arm opens at an angle and probably has full throttle at a similar opposite angle. Something like / & \ .

The RIGHT carb has only 1 small arm attached to the throttle shaft. The distance from the shaft to the ball is less than on the left side, such as 1 1/4". Thus, the throttle openings won't be the same. Also, the right carb's throttle arm is positioned nearly straight out to the left instead of at a downward angle. Ideally the small arm on the right carb needs to match that of the left one for a uniform movement. You can probably make a single, new arm out of a mild steel "mending plate" instead of using the same 2 as on the left carb. The angle of the elongated hole for the throttle shaft has to be precise so that the arm comes down to the lower left at exactly the same angle as where the crossbar arm ball stud is for the left carb. Or use a 90 degree bend mending plate and measure the 2 hole locations carefully per the left arm unit.

Once you have a new right throttle arm which exactly matches the left one, you'll probably need to shorten the right crossbar a small amount so that at idle (use that MotoMeter- after cleaning it- to equalize carb flow) the right crossbar stud/ball fits right into the throttle arm hole without the arm moving at all.

I went through this angle and length mismatch 2 years ago when fitting a set of new Weber IDF Chinese clone carbs to a friend's engine. On that engine, the carbs were facing each other so that the throttle arms had to be exactly were mirror-image. We fitted another set of throttle arms from the CB performance linkage kit which had equal lengths, and turned one around at the shaft end so that they were angled equally but to opposite sides. On your engine, both carbs are facing the same direction so that the throttle motions and the carb linkage will be like a "can-can girl"- both throttles move in the same direction.

For your left carb, are you able to reach around the carb (between carb and firewall) to get to, and adjust both the throttle screw and the mixture screw?

Last edited by Rome on Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Your MotoMeter synchronizing tool: Many years ago a German VW & Porsche mechanic friend gave me his Uni-Syn tool which looks very similar. The Uni-Syn (often mistakenly spelled as Uni-Sync; Uni-Syn would be a variation of the word unison; pertaining to both carbs adjusted to the same airflow) has a round base and a red plastic air bob. The flat base has the US patent # as well as "Foreign pat pend" molded in. I'm sure the MotoMeter was utilized for synching the two single-throat carbs on the lower-output Porsche 356 engines.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

You are correct, the tool helps compare the volume of air drawn into each carburettor at idle, so you can adjust them to be as close to the same as the tool can measure.

At least that's my understanding of the tool.

The wheel in the centre adjusts the "scale"of the tool, by altering the air resistance Passing through it.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

What a satisfying car and great read.

I especially like your focus on Australia-based equipment, which I didn't know anything about.

Heinz Nordhoff
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

I see an issue with the right carb's throttle arm which can contribute to your driveability.

On your LEFT carb, there are 2 small arms shaped like a backwards L which attach to the carb's throttle shaft. The distance from the shaft to the end where the carb crossbar arm ball socket/stud is attached is approx. 1.5". Also, the 2 arms are well positioned so that the crossbar arm opens at an angle and probably has full throttle at a similar opposite angle. Something like / & \ .

The RIGHT carb has only 1 small arm attached to the throttle shaft.

I was curious if someone would notice this- the image is from me just getting it all together- I've since found the 2 longer arm I had prepared and both sides now match. Personally I think the short arm is a significant issue on the CSP linkage- but maybe it's not as important on the WW Okrasa setup.

In regards to road-side adjustment, the manifolds take that into account- even with my stumpy well hammered hands I can reach both mixtures easily enough. Again- further proof the kit was developed by someone who took such things into consideration.

Also- means you feel a bit like a bad-ass reaching around tweaking two carbs roadside. I am still amazed by the induction noise- given it's a stock carb and filter setup.

Blue Baron wrote:
What a satisfying car and great read.

I especially like your focus on Australia-based equipment, which I didn't know anything about.

Thank you- I hope it's entertaining, and people will take something away from it. There's so many VW specific things per country, there's a lot of people who know many times more than I do. I hope some of them chime in here.

Next time you're trawling the swap-meet, keep an eye out for the weird and wonderful.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Weekend drive day round up.

In terms of the dial-in speed sector- terrible, smashed the dial in speed. Dialled in 35km/5 over the timed 12km and did 57km/h average woops.

In terms of vehicle performance and reliability- terrible, had linkage issues and no throttle for 1.5 hours on the way home.

In terms of wear and tear on the car- average, broke the fuel pump top, fan belt and the rh carb.

Thankfully I have a special sauce pump lined up- need to make the hard lines up to suit. more $$$$$

I finally sand blasted and repainted one of my air cleaners so it's a better match to everything else in the engine bay.

I love the fat look of the air cleaners on the side

I also thought my Lucas performance coil had spent enough time in its box.

Once fitting the vehicle broke down 100meters up the road.

I've since found this is the required method of attaching the lead to the Lucas coil washer setup.

Hopefully that combined with alterations to my linkage will result in more reliable motoring.

Only a few engine based additions left to do before I consider that aspect of the car 'finished'.

Over winter I'm hoping to finish the rust repairs and prepare for a headlining and new window seals.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Much better now with the right carb's throttle arm which now matches the style and nearly the angle of the left carb's arm. I also now see that the left carb throttle arm has the short section "spacer" running front to rear from the arm back to the linkage's ball swivel. This is to accomodate the forward offset of the left manifold compared to the right one due to the cylinder head offset- approx. the width of two connecting rods. The spacer was already in your first photo from a week ago but it looked like the bottom short leg of an "L" due to the perspective.

When I fitted my first dual carb set to my 1600 cc single-port engine in ~1987- Dell'Orto 34 FRD from CB Performance- this spacer was also included and specified in the installation instructions.

It was a big coincidence that your fan belt broke during the test drive- it likely had nothing to do with the dual carb fitment.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 beetle, preservation and acceleration Reply with quote

Oh of course, I know that.

It was just an unfortunate series of already old/ worn items giving up all at once

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: