Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2PLY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part #2 of 2 of my new video showing Kris Knight of Fine Auto Trim in Boise, ID installing a 3-window cotton "OEM canvas" on my 91 Syncro Westy has been uploaded to Vimeo and is ready for viewing or downloading NOW.

This and the Part #1 videos are rather long and would be boring to those looking for entertainment. These are meant for the serious people who have decided to tackle this task alone so covering all of the steps and even the struggles are important.

There is a written check list of the most important steps and a written explanation from Kris about the different step required for the top of the canvas connection on the older tops that use the Stapled Canvas and plastic strip

As I write this, the HD version of this video is still being converted in Vimeo but the standard definition version is ready... 9:20 AM Nov. 1, 2014

Link

87 Syncro Westy - 2007 Subaru 2.5L Dove Blue
91 Syncro Westy - Stock engine, Orly Blue
(Soon to receive the TDi from my wrecked 90 Syncro Westy)
2PLY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Pop-Top Canvas Videos now on You Tube Reply with quote

These videos are now on You Tube for those that have trouble viewing on VIMEO..

Link

Link

87 Syncro Westy - 2007 Subaru 2.5L Dove Blue
91 Syncro Westy - Stock engine, Orly Blue
(Soon to receive the TDi from my wrecked 90 Syncro Westy)
Kylo Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbeverly1 wrote:
I installed the gray busdepot 3 window version last month and couldn't be happier with the quality, fit and price. I have an 81 so it was the stapled version.

Feel free to check out my blog for installation pics:

http://1981vwcamper.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the clarification that the Bus Depot one works well. Scoped out the blog!! Looks fresh. How is it holding up? How was the install?

Got an instrgram?
Kylo Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I think this is a good place to record my pop top tent installation for posterity since I decided to go with the Bus Depot in-house model.

And I'm glad it's over with! Very Happy

This was incredibly helpful and kind of overwhelming. Not looking forward to tackling this project!!
Kylo Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I have the Pop Top off of my 86 Westy to repaint it.
I've removed the original VW canvas which does indeed feel thicker.

Got out the micrometer and the OG Canvas measures .014 thick while the Bus Depot Canvas measures .012 thick.

A difference of .002.........that is the thickness of a strand of my hair! (Micro shows almost 3, I bumped it setting up the photo) ...............
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

This is rather comical! LOL You are the man
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently fitted the german best quality canvas from the bus depot, it took me 9 hours to do on my own, i had help only lifting off, and back on i found it better to start at the back by the hinges then do the front, then the sides.
it came out as tight as a drum, my customer is very very happy with it Smile

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, for those who already bought our poptop canvas or are planning to, that we now offer matching storage organizers using the same material for $12.95. This velcro's around your poptop lift bar and holds such items as a smart phone, a standard size water bottle (or beverage of your choice), small flashlight, etc. It's great for keeping personal items in easy reach while in the top bunk. It can also be used inside an Ezy-Awning or Add-A-Room to keep fragile items off the ground. Since it's made of our Bus Depot poptop canvas it is a dead match and looks like it came with your Westy. And since our Bus Depot poptop canvas is almost a dead-on copy of the OEM German one, if you have one of those it will be a nearly identical match as well. (It will also look good with an old original canvas, but may be a tad darker since your canvas has probably faded a bit over the years. The picture below shows it next to a 18 year old original canvas.) It is available in your choice of colors:

Gray: http://www.busdepot.com/DS101G
Tan: http://www.busdepot.com/DS101B
Yellow: http://www.busdepot.com/DS101y

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

After spending the day installing one of these babies I thought I would revive this thread and add some thoughts about my experience. The video was extremely helpful, although I didn't come close to doing it in a little over 2 hours as the pro installer did. It took me about 7 hours. A lot of that time was me proceeding carefully so as not to push a screwdriver through the canvas, etc.

Went with canvas because of the breathability and the long service from the original tent (28 years).

The video really spells out what you need to do and the tools required. What I also learned:
The awl is really necessary to align the flimsy aluminum pieces a few holes ahead as you try to start those tiny little screws. My awl was old and apparently dull because it was difficult to punch it through the plastic and canvas. I ended up using the sharp point of one of my old electrical test lights to punch through (I know -- proper tool -- not proud of it but it got the job done).
I bought a flexible screwdriver and it was handy in a couple places, but it was too bulky for some of the back corners. I found that a very short screwdriver worked best in those corners.
I also purchased a small magnetic parts tray for this job and was really glad. I didn't lose a single screw -- oh the many, many, screws.

Loving the added ventilation and views from the additional side windows. Wish I had replaced the old tent sooner. I really like being able to look out the side window while standing at the galley.

owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

Attempted to start mine today and it's a no-go. I measure 285" to 286" both top and bottom, depending on how tightly I stretch the fabric. Which puts it, at minimum, 6" out of spec on the top (275"-279" being their limits).

If you advertise a tent as "we pretty much nailed it", and "no aftermarket canvas comes close, at any price", then you had better back that up. I've learned before to "cry once" and buy the best part available for the application, lesson learned, again.

Add me to the list of folks who have had issues with a bus depot tent. I will update this thread once I receive a response from customer service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

Owokee, hope BD helps you, they left me hanging when it was six inches or more off. Just sewed the patch even tighter the other day. $290 for a very defective product.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

I'll put in a big thumbs up for the tent. Great product for the price. The install was not a fun process, but that has nothing to do with the tent.

I measured mine before hand in comparisons to the old tent and found it to be very close. If it's something like 6 inches off, I'd also want to know how it was measured, and how things compared to the original?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

I just finished installing one of these Bus Depot brand canvas tops on a 90 Camper. I had seen this thread and was a bit concerned. Before I punched any holes in the canvas, I took the time to measure the top and bottom circumferences on the new canvas and the original canvas. The canvas came in a bag with a label with the following dimensions. Top Circumference 275-279 inches acceptable. My rough measuring came out to 284 inches. The original top measured out at 287 inches. The bottom circumference was acceptable was 279-283 inches. The BD one measured out at 284 the original measured out at 287 inches.

Since the numbers were not exact, I called Bus Depot and talked with Jay. We discussed the install and we both felt the canvas would work. With the top removed, I installed the rear and front starting in the center, which I found and marked prior. Its a tight fit, but not overly tight. Using two dental picks and the aluminum piece as a stretcher. I completed the rear and moved on to the front. Same procedure. I then attached the sides which with the front and rear attached to the top, they were cake compared to the ends. I can not imagine doing this with the top on. Maybe after you had done a few.

I installed the top back on the van and with a piece of conduit held the roof up, but not at the max extension. Again, working from the center, I did attached the rear and then the front. Mostly because, I wanted out of the confined space. The rear corners did try my patience, but they did fit and I was able to secure them. Each bottom corner got 2 pie cuts in the corners to help it lay around the corner. Side rails easily attached, but I did work from both ends to be sure it did not bunch up.

Once all the screws were installed and snug, I popped the top to the full extension. I am very pleased with the out come. I bought this top on sale a few months ago and am very pleased with the fit and finish.

I imagine that it would be difficult to reproduce these for the general public to install. Would it have been easier with a little more material? I would say yes, but then it would look like a pair of boxer shorts when up. So, I imagine, they are sewn to be tight. This was my second top and it went smoother than the first one. I imagine, if I did another it would go even smoother.

So, if someone is considering one of these tops, I would have to give it 5 stars, but you will need patience to get a professional looking outcome. mark
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Attempted to start mine today and it's a no-go. I measure 285" to 286" both top and bottom, depending on how tightly I stretch the fabric. Which puts it, at minimum, 6" out of spec on the top (275"-279" being their limits).

If you advertise a tent as "we pretty much nailed it", and "no aftermarket canvas comes close, at any price", then you had better back that up. I've learned before to "cry once" and buy the best part available for the application, lesson learned, again.

Add me to the list of folks who have had issues with a bus depot tent. I will update this thread once I receive a response from customer service.

I waited over a month for Owokie to update this thread as promised, but it's looking like he's not going to. There was nothing wrong with Owokie's canvas. The wrong sticker was on the bag, so it listed the wrong dimensions. He has since installed the canvas and told our store manager that it is fine.

Owokie posted the above roughly half an hour after emailing us with the fit question, before we had time to reply to him or even see his email. Once he read the email, my store manager replied promptly, gave Owokie his personal cell phone number, determined that the canvas inside the bag was in fact correct, had Owokie install it, and followed up afterwards when he never heard back from Owokie to confirm that it had gone well. In the end, Owokie texted my store manager that if anything it was slightly larger than necessary, but certainly not too small, and that he was satisfied with the result.

In my opinion it's bad form to jump right to bashing a product or vendor in a public forum without allowing the vendor time to resolve the issue or even confirm whether there really is one. I certainly do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the wrong sticker, but a tiny bit of patience before publicly grieving, and updating the thread as promised to clear us, would have been nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

Ron, you will often hear many of us say right off the bat .... "Did you contact the vendor?"

I agree it is bad form but it is so easy to do in todays social media world.

We also move many threads to the feedback forums.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
RHMoore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

I installed the 3 window canvas on my ’85 that used screws. The canvas fit fine, and I did not remove the top. I think I pulled the ends harder than necessary, so the sides had plenty leftover. I still need to put in 4 corner screws, since I don’t have the flexible screwdriver. It was the hottest weather of the year, and I took my time, and I was sore and worn out afterwards. The videos are well done and should be considered mandatory, and the instructions had a few details that helped at the right time. I really like the side windows. After one camping trip, I’ll rate it 5 out of 5.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Attempted to start mine today and it's a no-go...

Sorry to hear that you had difficulties.

As another data point, my BD tent installed just fine, with absolutely no surprises, no difficulty, no drama.

I am extremely happy with the fit, finish and cost.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

deleted moved to FAQ thread

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

I installed the Bus Depot canvas this past Friday using the method that 2Ply posted and followed the videos diligently.

The process went smooth, but it was involved lol. It took me about 6 hours to do completely by myself.

Definitely make sure you have a good screw driver for the bottom screws

When I was installing the lower aluminum rails above the sliding door and above the stove it seemed as if there was too much material in there, but if you tuck the seam right up to the bead it flattens out nicely. I thought I had pulled the front and the back section too tight at first. I called the bus depot to figure out just how tight the front and back needs to be pulled. Their verbiage was "drum tight." I guess I got it right.

The material is great and I'm glad its finished, but I also never want to do it again lol.

Charlotte, NC
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

Congrats on the new tent! Getting it installed in that amount of time is impressive. Took me two days, but I was flying solo in fairly strong wind gusts outside, with the pop top still on the van.

Would I tackle the job again? If I'm physically fit to do so I would. There were some lessons learned that I could get it done in a day next time...if I have to. Hopefully I can prolong that next replacement for several years.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot's Pop Top Canvas "In House Brand" Reply with quote

Anyone know where the videos from 2ply so highly recommended here can be found? There is a link earlier on this page but it says the video is not available.
Found this one but want to be sure I’ve got the best instructions before tackling this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSOnYrtV2E
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: