Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

I am getting ready to place an order for a couple of these center covers. They are $75 each and I suspect (my gut tells me) he isn't going to make anymore after this. If you are interested please contact me asap to let me know you want to move forward. I don't know anyone else who has these and if someone wants to make one by printing it you need a good original to start from and frankly I do not know where you will get one. The last I saw was sold in Europe about 2008 and not another has surfaced since. Maybe EIS might be interested since they make the other parts but the hold up there last time I checked with Sean was they couldn't find a NOS one to copy. Anyway - $75 each and you will probably have to paint it because the one he sent me last time was yellow.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
3D printing is the solution here. They would be so simple to print out. If anyone is capable, I have a good OG center piece you can use to scan and start printing them. You'd be doing a service to the VW community. I get the first one you print out though!

I've been printing a lot of odds and ends at work this month, and I haven't yet made a product that I would put on my car. Everything just "looks 3-d printed" if you know what I mean. I think some of the industrial high-end machines could make these faithfully, but until those get down in price, I don't know how satisfied most of us would be with those in our cars. The kind of people who restore their sunroofs are the kind of people who enjoy a quality reproduction, you know?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slammedresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I am getting ready to place an order for a couple of these center covers. They are $75 each and I suspect (my gut tells me) he isn't going to make anymore after this. If you are interested please contact me asap to let me know you want to move forward. I don't know anyone else who has these and if someone wants to make one by printing it you need a good original to start from and frankly I do not know where you will get one. The last I saw was sold in Europe about 2008 and not another has surfaced since. Maybe EIS might be interested since they make the other parts but the hold up there last time I checked with Sean was they couldn't find a NOS one to copy. Anyway - $75 each and you will probably have to paint it because the one he sent me last time was yellow.

Hi bud, will be needing one of these, I'm in the UK. How much including shipping please

F1 and Motorsport memorabilia
www.finallap.net

Click to view image
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

slammedresto wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Hi bud, will be needing one of these, I'm in the UK. How much including shipping please

He gets $75 USD for the part and last time it took him about a month to have one made for me. Since no one else is selling them at this time I am going to get 1 or 2 spares made. Postage to the UK is around $35 USD. If you are interested pm me and I can have you send me a deposit for 1/2 and the balance when he gets it to me. I have a used original one that has a warp to it you can have for $20 USD if you want but the postage is still going to be about $35 USD unless you know someone traveling from the US to UK that I can send it to them to bring back to you.
slammedresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

If going to get one it may as well be a repro one, can you get the cogs too, I need to replace the gear cog that sits under that plastic cover too. Pm me you PayPal details and I will get the deposit off to you

F1 and Motorsport memorabilia
www.finallap.net

Click to view image
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

slammedresto wrote:
If going to get one it may as well be a repro one, can you get the cogs too, I need to replace the gear cog that sits under that plastic cover too. Pm me you PayPal details and I will get the deposit off to you

answered in a pm.
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

Hey guys,
So the sunroof in my bus was sealed with a combination of tape and silicone by the last owner. I haven't opened it yet to see what I have to work with.

My question is: if the cables is where the failure usually occurs, is there a way to install it without the cables and open the sunroof with your hand and not the crank? Like how you open a ragtop

I know its not original but I would like to get it working again

Thanks in adavance
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

The roof can be slid back by hand after the rear of the ppanel drops down.
Since it is the tension on the cable that lifts the rear of the panel I don't know how you would accomplish this.
72 Baja
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

with the cables removed you could probably rig some kind of small winch system with blocks and tackles to wind it closed or open, and hold it. Maybe marine bungee cords that last a long time so one doesn't hit a passenger or you in the corner of your eye or the back of your head. It could be done. Maybe some pins to hold it closed and part way open like a garage door lock or something like that.
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

Does anyone have a beat on one of those metal underside/tray pieces for a sunroof?
It's #8 in this diagram. I don't know the proper part name.
http://bustedbus.com/OtherAssets2/t208700.gif

Fixing up a '77 sunroof, and this part that the headliner gets applied to is AWOL. Help!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

used and hard to get unbent. Do a search in classifieds for "parting" . Then look at the ads until you find a late sunroof bay near you being parted. I gave two to Tubdub a couple years ago. He probably sold them or horse traded them but you might check with him.
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

Thanks Kent, any idea what the name of that part is called? For the sake of referencing it correctly..
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

Sunroof inner panel is what I would call it. Most are going to be bent to heck from people prying on the sides trying to get them out. Look for an ad that reads "parting sunroof" bus. Anything from 1971 to 1979 will fit if the sides are not bent.
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

Found the inner panel!

Missing the bow clip springs though - has anyone seen a detailed how-to for reupholstering the headliner on the inner panel? Want to make sure I've got everything lined up before I start.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

andrew_c wrote:
Does anyone have a beat on one of those metal underside/tray pieces for a sunroof?
It's #8 in this diagram. I don't know the proper part name.
http://bustedbus.com/OtherAssets2/t208700.gif

Fixing up a '77 sunroof, and this part that the headliner gets applied to is AWOL. Help!

I picked up a NOS one yesterday from Jeffrey at www.busok.nl. Not cheap but hard to get and he has a great collection of NOS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neilswheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sunroof FAQ open stuck parts plastic cover cables Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"]
slammedresto wrote:
SGKent wrote:

He gets $75 USD for the part and last time it took him about a month to have one made for me. Since no one else is selling them at this time I am going to get 1 or 2 spares made. Postage to the UK is around $35 USD. If you are interested pm me and I can have you send me a deposit for 1/2 and the balance when he gets it to me. I have a used original one that has a warp to it you can have for $20 USD if you want but the postage is still going to be about $35 USD unless you know someone traveling from the US to UK that I can send it to them to bring back to you.

Hi, what are these like? I'm not over happy with my EIS plastics as they have no curve to them to follow the contour of the roof panel like the stockers, which means my sunroof rubs on them, but they are better than nothing, the other option.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

it is the center piece only he makes. He does not make other parts. EIS is it on the other plastic new, or you can chase used ones - I just threw away a handful because no one wanted them. No other choices. You won't get like new with a sunroof but you can get close. The factory parts haven't been made in almost 30 - 35 years and NOS spares are non-existent. The last new plastic parts were probably sold about 2000 - 2005. I haven't seen one piece since 2008 when I started looking for them. The only new common parts I located were a set of factory cables, and that is only because a vendor with a private stash of parts cashed out on them. That was five or six years ago, and I think I paid $450 plus International shipping for the set back then. Today that set would probably bring close to $750 - $1000 USD. Sometimes cables show up in Europe still for around $300 USD each plus shipping. Nothing but EIS as to the plastic and the guy in MI for the center piece.

If the roof doesn't work right it is probably because your cables need adjusting. Just open it 6 or 7 inches, take the center winder out and push the roof back three or four inches to equalize the cables. Then put the winder back in. It will require that four or five times during the first year or so. Otherwise the cables will rotate the panel and cause it to bind, then strip the new cables. Please stop whining about the quality of the parts and be thankful they exist. I have a set on my bus and the sunroof works just fine.
SDBeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

I'm looking for the front metal tube guide for my sunroof #8 in the picture. Are those available anywhere? It's the last part I need to finish my sunroof restoration
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67-indeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have the dimension of the screws that should be used to put the assembly together? My sunroof has been assembled with regular woodworking screws and I want to make the all as it's supposed to be.

You'd help me greatly Very Happy
philsrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

So..did not know what I was doing when I bought my 69 bay with sunroof. Have spent last year doing major surgery. Now it's time for the sunroof. Have new repop cables. Oh look no metal guides on the four corners of the slider. Found some in England for almost $600. The front guides look a lot like the ones on a beetle? Has anyone tried using the front guides from a beetle for the bay? Have made many requests on the sambal and Craigslist for the bay slider guides.
The Samba rocks....Phil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: