Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
karman1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

I didn't got so far. I've trouble even moving the cables with not sunroof attached.
I measured old and new cables, there totally the same (4.8mm).
I removed the gear before installing the cable, but the gear is jumping, trying to only move the cable.
Bought a new gear that fits on the top. No change.
The entire assembly has some play, but it seems the cables needs guides on the side where they meet the gear.
See attached video, pics.
It's not working with the plastic cover on top of it either. I left it off for the video, holding the cable down with my finger.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
karman1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

seems videos can't be uploaded
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

are you saying that the gear will not move the lifting blocks without hanging when the sunroof is removed?

There should be a tube (7 & eight) on each side of that metal block (12) that fits into the block (12) and guides the cables back into the rails (2) on each side. The rails must be clean of debris where the cables go. You need the plastic pieces (6, 9 & 10) over the tubes to hold them down. Don't put the sunroof back in until the cables work smoothly without the sunroof. You can pull the gear and move each lifting block by hand to see which one is hanging. One may be kinked and need replacement. I usually replace the cables in pairs.

karman1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

California rain stopped my progress for a while. But I've good news.
A friend recently showed me, how exactly he has been dealing with this issue: he added two thin sheet metal pieces to reduce the play.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

if the block has a groove in it then find a used block. If the cables require too much force then fix that. If the gear teeth are worn buy a new gear. The cables will stretch if there is too much force needed.
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Saw that EIS had a fire? Anyone been in contact with them?
rigotorres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

any body has a interior sunroof panel for a 68 vw bus bay window
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

rigotorres wrote:
any body has a interior sunroof panel for a 68 vw bus bay window

One in the classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
parts fiche:
http://vwbus2.dyndns.org/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t208700.html
http://vwbus2.dyndns.org/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t208800.html

Anyone have an update for these links or a picture they can share?

Thanks
Brett and Aaron
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Hello,

One of the lifter blocks broke recently, so I'm looking at replacing the cables. I run the bus without the sunroof headliner, so that may simplify the job.

CIP1 has cables on sale and was thinking of picking those up.

How many hours should I expect it to take me (average skills) to swap the cables? Any other parts I should swap at the same time? Is Bentley the best directions?

Thanks much. I appreciate any tips!

Mark
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

use the many times I have posted a how to and the Bentley combined.

Michael's pages are at:
http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t208700.html

http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t208800.html
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Not really a sunroof question but it is a sunroof bus. I saw a photo of this area that that Steve posted in the initial post. It was after media blasting.

Mine is the one with the highroof over. In the photo you can see the screw holes that held the top on. (The best highroof fit I’ve ever seen). The holes are in an area that cannot be reached from the inside or anywhere that I can tell. I plan to reinstall the roof after the media blast and paint. There is a small amount of rust in and around the holes but no cancer at all. I’ll have to media blast the rain channel but everything that was under the roof is cherry. I can get to the holes in the front and rear to rust treat. Looks like I’ll have to plug the holes with something when I blast.

Not sure how I should approach the area the screws were in at the sides after blasting. Sunroof comes out next. The entire interior is out, engine, fuel tank too.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

they rust from the inside out. There are 3 layers: the top, sunroof tray, and reinforcing panel. Moisture condensates in between the 3 layers and rust starts there, then eats its way out. You won't really know unless you find some pinholes. Probe it well with a pick cause the time to fix it is now.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.

Would the rust start to appear down next to the drain channel where the highroof was screwed or where your photo showed up near the sunroof?

I’m pleased how the drain tubes in the b pillar and vents are pretty rust free. I don’t believe they ever got a drop of rain. Whoever designed the floor system for the roof in front of and behind the sunroof was a genius. Ultralight weight and designed to protect the finish on the bus roof. Bulkheads with doors we’re at the fore and aft edges of the sunroof. It supported my fat ass to crawl up in there without deflecting the roof noticeably. Being able to stand up and put your pants on is a great advantage to this config.

The sunroof has not been closed since I’ve had the bus. You’d think this would create a lot of noise but it’s not substantially louder than my 72 tin top. Kind of a carnival ride in the wind tho.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Zonga78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Hey i know this is an old tread but maybe someone can help. I'm chassing the cable guide for a VW T2 Bay Sunroof.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2560918

Please let me know if you can assiti or point me in the right direction.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Zonga78 wrote:
Hey i know this is an old tread but maybe someone can help. I'm chassing the cable guide for a VW T2 Bay Sunroof.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2560918

Please let me know if you can assiti or point me in the right direction.

is this like a pre-1970 bay? Or are we looking at the bottom of the part in your link?

This is the top view of 1970 and later. Early ones were weird combinations of plastic parts different than the late ones. Later ones have a metal bottom and different cover. If it is the late part, anyone like TheBusco, Avery's Air Cooled, Busted Bus, Chris in Oakland etc., could find you one. New, never because it never goes bad except from old age, and it has been NLA since forever. One has to go back to a mid-70's fiche to even find the part number.

later parts

jmfuller41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Mr SGKent, just want to say THANK YOU for putting all this together and hanging in there with all the questions over the years. The sunroof on my 1970 bus, which I bought new in Palo Alto in January of that year, has been stuck shut for about a decade but, after discovering your posts, I decided to get into it.
I did manage to get it out, got all the parts from EIS, etc, and I am thrilled to say that it now works like it did when new (to my substantial surprise).
My two biggest problems were (1) figuring out how to detach the cables from the roof slider. You say they detach, but I had no idea that they just pulled off, and I didn't want to hurt anything Smile
Problem (2) was the little wedge piece on the sunroof that slides up onto the identical wedge piece by the track as the roof closes, to start the roof's slider up through the hole in the track. That left rear bottom of my sunroof was disintegrated from rust (plugged drain hole...), with the little wedge piece just lying there when it took the roof off, with all support rusted away (at least the roof itself was still solid). Amazingly, a big wad of JB Weld stuck in the rusted out hole was good enough to hold the little wedge piece (I stuck a small screw through it to give some purchase in the JB Weld), and it works great!
Anyway, that's my story and I'm indebted to you for having all your posts on this subject, so I've got a happy bus again!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

you are welcome. In about 10 openings and closings it will start to bind. Just open it enough to get your fingers in there, pull the crank out and push the sliding part back six inches. Then put the crank back in. That will equalize the cables. Do that anytime it starts getting harder to close. The cause is the cables are different lengths, and they stretch at different rates so the roof cocks when opening and closing - that is what binds it. Equalizing the cables solves that. Even NOS VWOG cables will do the same thing.
Bugster78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have or know a source for a used part 12 from the drawing, the piece that guides the cables around the gear cog? This seems to be a critical component, too hard to jury rig!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ Reply with quote

Here are a few for sale!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2588896

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: