Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frustrated. aka Starts. Runs. Dies.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 AFM and Temp II

PG

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 87 vanagon did this too, it was timing. have you ohm'd the injectors for fun? fuel pressure and temp 2 like many state here. aux air valve was once dirty on a 80 vanagon i had and one /two bad injector.
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
I did have minor backfires early on. But pops. Loud, but not grenade like. You didnt read anything about timing. I havent kept it running long enough to time it.

I'm having the same issue with mine, can't keep it idling long enough to time. But I have found just moving the dizzy ever so slightly to the right or left will help with the idle.

Joe
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem with a 78 FI. I found a vacuum part, the "Y" off the plenum that feeds the brake booster and idle control (I think off the top of my head) is cracked. I just replaced it this past August and I am a bit PO'd about that.
Agree with the above comments about the AFM and ignition system, but best to trouble shoot via the Bentley instead of jumping around. One system at a time. Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't hate me man, but spark plug wires? I have had this EXACT issue in the past, and found only half the injectors hooked up. it ran a b it better after that, b ut then I found I had swapped the spark pluge wires around again....
ran like a champ after that.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that dying thing once too but then it stopped after I put gas in the tank.
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, turning your fuel shut off back on helps... ask me how i know.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, worked on it tonight. Tried Dans idea, unplugging the AFM, starting it cold, with no gas. Never started. Ever. Dunno what that means, but even plugged in I have to pump the gas for it fire off.

Grounded the TTS. Not sure what should have happened. Nothing seemed to change. I did not swap it out, because I cant find my dadgum spare.

Removed the drivers side intake runners first. Not cracked anywhere visible, and I went over them thoroughly. The intake manifold gasket (pheno whatevers) had some paper top on it that peels off? Dunno how i missed peeling those off, but I did. Dunno if that even mattered. I did notice that the intake plenum had the bottom of the #4 tube was bent all up (I have a pic on my phone) not significantly, but not like I thought i would be. Bent it back and reinstalled the intake runner boots. Swear they feel tighter. I did have to replace the gasket for the EGR on the plenum (I dont have the EGR, its "bent" closed on the underside of the bus)And that didnt have a gasket, and was kinda looseish. Would that cause a leak? Fixed/tightened. Checked cleaned, tighted all starter connections, per someones suggestions.

Immediately after all that, I started it (AFM connected, but pumping fuel), fired up and ran. And actually ran for several minutes before dying. Enough to get out and go back to the engine bay and try and adjust the idle down (WAY high). When running, it was surging. Idle high, then drop down like its gonna die, then back up high again. Did finally die. Fired it back up and it ran again for little spurts. I think next I'm (Adding new, good gas. Just struck me I dont know how old that gas is, and I assume him saying it was a month old when I bought the bus 5 months ago, aint good.) going to set the valves again and replace the starter. Its dragging BAD when its trying to start.

I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Still waiting on a helper.

Oh, and exhaust leak is the F pipe at the head on the #2 side.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuel pressure is easy with one person.

get a gauge and a couple inches of line. take out the tiny 7 mm screw on the left fuel rail. install hose and clamp on to line. turn on key, go to the back and open the flap on the afm by a gentle push with a screw driver. if the pump powers on properly, you will see fuel pressure spike and hear it running.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are describing now, does sound somewhat like a vacuum leak. High RPM's while the mixture is rich, then putters out as it warms and leans. I would double check for a moderate sized vacuum leak; maybe a crack in the elbow to the AAR, or a cracked brake booster tee, or something like that.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Grounded the TTS. Not sure what should have happened..

It should have been ground the TS2 (temp sensor at #3 cylinder), grounding the wire that leads from it to the ECU will put the system in full lean, if you have excess pressure issues or another fault that causes rich running and it ran better when grounded it would indicate where to start looking.
As Dan says what you describe today sounds more like a vacuum leak so unplugging the TS2 and leaving the wire loose would put the system into full rich mode, it may stay running long enough to get the timing dialed in and test for vacuum leaks.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The intake manifold gasket (pheno whatevers) had some paper top on it that peels off?

no - they are the gasket. The phenolic is a spacer.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the FI ground connections on top of the case under the left side of the plenum? There's a three pronged connector attached to a case through-bolt. If those connections aren't 100% clean and tight you'll have issues. Might not be the root cause of your troubles but worth a check anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onion456
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ i was gonna say that. squish the little push-on connectors a little bit too to make sure they grab on tight.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75bus4/me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the video;
Timing
Fuel mix
And exhaust leak just because.

Gerry
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ohm the injectors? repairing my exhaust leaks made the engine idle better. hunting is usually a vacuum issue. have you looked into afm adjust?
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, good to know about the blocks. Thank you Steve. Mark, thats what I meant, sorry. Ill do that, pull it off so it will run while I dial it in, because Im not sure the timing is right at all.

Its funny that you mention the connectors on the left side, when I had it all apart last night, I noticed those. They were greasy and lose. I did clean, tighten and reconnect them.

I will double check the AAR elbow and that brake booster T. Its fairly loose where it meets everything.

Thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions so far.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

Ever get this hunted down?

-dasdachshund
CinnabarVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Runs and Stalls out Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
thanks for the great advice and help. I have a 79 that I have been frustrated trying to get it running. It has been one problem after another and I have had to wait for the heads to get rebuilt in between trying to get this bus up and running.

The engine is from a 81 Vanagon with the square port heads. I put new rings on and new seals and cleanned up the gooky oil all over. I put all the required tins, shroud and alternator to make it work in a bus. I got it running and shortly after found out that the valve seat dropped. I sent the heads in to Phoenix for rebuilt. Back in the bus and now trying to tune and get it running right.

It starts but has trouble idling when cold. It idles great once warmed up. I have checked the AAR and it is open at 55 degrees. I could play with that some more and freeze it to see and heat it up to see that. But I can live with that for now.

I also had power issues that were related to the fuel pressure valve. I swapped that out and it now runs with power. I got to the top of my hill and it sucked air and died. Could not restart. Cranks fine just no spark (or no fuel?)
Luckily I coasted back down to my driveway.

I will trace the double relay wiring one more time tonight. Any other hints? YES there is gas in the tank. I also have a spare fuel pump to swap out and try.
Thanks for any advice.
Joel in Rochacha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was reading this thread the other day because my bus died while I was at Stuarts helping put his motor back together.

My bus would start two or three times but never run. After a third time of starting it would just turn over and not catch. We ran thru a lot of the above mentioned checklists but then Stuart got tricky.

He pulled his ECU out of his running bus and swapped it with mine... Started, Ran, and Ran... Swapped my ECU back in and she Started, Ran, and Ran...

Loose/dirty connection? Probably...

Learned a bit about diagnostics and very glad for threads like this one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: