Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help...Starter Bolt Problem...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Help...Starter Bolt Problem... Reply with quote

Well, I was working on my 1961 Beetle with the original 1200cc last night. It hasn't been run in about 15 years and I was trying to get the starter out because I believe it is bad. I had no problem taking the nut off towards the wheel on the outside, but when I went to loosen the bolt by the transmission, it loosened very little and just spins. Of course, the one bolt on the entire car that you CAN'T see when you are working on the car just spins. What can I do without pulling the entire engine out? It has been a long time since I pulled a starter out of a bug. Is there a stud that goes in the case that might be loose or is it just a bolt?

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
JimJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom nut is on a stud and the top one is a bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolt that you are trying to remove has a "d" shaped head that sits in a notch on the starter body which prevents it from turning. The bolt must be held towards you as the nut is is being turned in order to prevent the bolt head from popping out of the notch.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bolt that you are trying to remove has a "d" shaped head that sits in a notch.....

My '63 didn't come with the "D" head bolt. Don't think earlier cars had them.
Quote:
What can I do without pulling the entire engine out?

If that bolt is spinning, the engine is gonna be tough to remove. The bolt goes through both the transmission and engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. If I can get my fat head in there, I will take a better look. It has been several years since I changed one and couldn't remember if that was a bolt or nut. I will put some pressure on the bolt to hold it in place and see what happens.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 40 years ago, I bent a 17 mm box end wrench just for the purpose of holding the bolt without having my hands on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early cars didn't have the D bolt or notches in the starter either.

At one time Hazet made a 17mm "wing" wrench with two short arms and a magnet inside the hex portion that held it on the bolt head. It was made to hold that bolt so one man could loosen or tighten the nut in front of the fan housing.

A regular box wrench is too long because the body is in the way. As a substitute, you can cut a 17mm box wrench so the handle is only 3-4" long. A Cheapo Chinese wrench from the .99 cent box would be more than sufficient.

A curved wrench may work too as suggested, depends on it's shape and how long it is.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a helper to hold the nut steady with a 17mm box or ratchet socket around the hidden side of the fan shroud while you loosen from underneath.

Actually is easier to hold from underneath with 17 mm while person up top loosens the nut with 17mm socket or box wrench around the hidden side of the fan shroud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Help...Starter Bolt Problem... Reply with quote

Or you could do what a PO did to my 356 coupe: weld a hex nut onto one of the flats of the hex bolt head to keep it from turning while you remove the nut. Not original but it makes it a one man job without the special "wing spanner" tool.
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did this when I pilled engine.

If you take rear wheel off. you can put a ratchet in engine bay on the nut and hold the bolt with your hand. Usually once you break the nut torque, its easy to spin off without the pecial wrench.

Two people makes it easier. and youll want two when you tighten it back in.

If your going to 12V - get D-bolt and the problem is over. 6V starter doest use the D-bolt s noted above
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welded a 1" long piece of 3/8"long round stock to ome pf the flats on mine.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welded a 1"long piece of 3/8"long round stock to one of the flats on mine.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pull the engine you can clean the starter and trans interface. I have seen starting problems solved after the trans and starter were wire brushed. Don’t forget this is an electrical connection for over 100 amps. The initial solenoid pull in current is 55 amps alone.
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have the "D" head bolt either so I drilled a hole across the head and drove a Spring pin in.
Marvin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: