Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving to Norway, which vehicle to take?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which vehicle for Scandinavia?
Audi allroad
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Syncro tin top
42%
 42%  [ 16 ]
Neither
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 38

TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen sonny, just store both...(or you can leave the syncro with me...It'll look good next to the diesel swap Razz) and buy a new vehicle when you get there. Why would you not take advantage of the unique options you'll have when you get there???? Too good to be true.

PS: Buy me a nice fresh 4x4 doka. K thanks.

2007 BMW R1200S More HP then 1.5 vanagons

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel

1998 VW Jetta TDi RiP, it was an organ donor though....
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Audi is going to stay stateside. I'll be selling it to my father in a month or so. After driving him around in a snow storm in the mountains for a ski trip he loved it, also since I take care of my vehicles and am honest to a fault he won't get taken to the cleaners Very Happy

Now I am thinking that I might sell Shocked Sparkles my tin top... ho boy. Thing is, I could have enough cash in hand to pick up a nice T4-T5 syncro TDi manual etc etc in Norway...

Granted a T3 syncromog full lockered 16" would be fun, but I primarily use the van for skiing and camping trips... thinking an oil burning T4 might serve that purpose better here when I return.

I'll go a head and don my flame retardant suit now
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. Buy a piece of crap that runs to take with you. When you get there take your time looking around and find a sweet van to buy. Trips to the mediterranean may be needed Smile Then take your Id tags off the old one and scrap it. Take the windshield out, put the id tag on the new one and have a new windshield installed. Drive the van until you return and have it shipped back for free by the gubment.
No taxes whatsoever.

Other than that you will want to buy the tiniest car you can possibly get. do you have any idea how much fuel costs over there? A good bicycle or Moto will serve you far better.

And skiing? What mountains? All cross country out that way.

Enjoy your stay. I love Scandanavia and the Scandinavians are the nicest people, which is why my GF is one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where in Norway you wil be staying?
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll most likely be in Oslo since FFI and the bulk of the research institutes are located there.

There is some real stout skiing up in the Loften Islands, take the Alps and park them on the coast. Granted I'll probably Nordic ski most weekdays.
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within 3 hours drive from Oslo there are a lot of good skiresorts, like Kvitfjell, Hafjell, Trysil, Hemsedal. They are not as big as the famous ones in the alps, but god for 4-5 days of skiing. 90 minutes from Oslo is Norefjell that has scandinavias higest elevation of 1030 meters. God for a daytrip or a weekend. Hemsedal has the worlds best afterski and Trysil also has good afterski. There are more than 1000km of crosscontry skitraks around Oslo, more than 50km of them are iluminated in the evenings. You could take the subway to http://www.oslovinterpark.no/ and about 10 other smaler resorts are in the Oslo aerea.
If you would like to go to northern Norway for skiing it is only 16-20 hours drive.
We do not have a GTG or meet in Oslo, but we meet in Drammen, 40km south of Oslo every 2 monday. One of the regulars there live not to far from FFI, and i am shure he wil give you a ride in his Vanagon Weekender if you would like. http://vwbus.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23318&start=1075

Welcome to Oslo Very Happy
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

And skiing? What mountains? All cross country out that way.

Buss Marius wrote:
Trysil

Trysil!!!! That hill was great, some good steep trees, really nice snowboard park...

And with a few hours on a train from Oslo you can get to Voss, that hill has some bangin' sidecountry/out of bounds skiing, really. I live in the tetons too, so I'm not easily impressed. Some extremely steep tree lines there that will crush the quads of anyone who's last name isn't Mercks, or Indurain, but oh so good. Tree lines under the cable car back to town there would be EPIC but the snow was too thin when we were there Sad

In Norway, for whatever reason, people don't really ski off the groomers that much, 3 days after a storm we were still slaying knee deep right off the sides of groomers, so rad, the short days and super low angle sun make the snow stay good indefinitely, no sun crust at all!

Trysil has one famous steep run, it is fairly steep, but nothing crazy, the snow was thin when we were there, I did tickle some rocks, but there looked to be *enough coverage* to hit the famous line, so I laid this track, this was 2 hours after the hill opened, I though the run was closed, why was nobody hitting it? Well, it was open and as a black belt ski bum of 15 years I had an obligation to put the first track down it... and the second, and the third.... Then it got mobbed with people...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is my buddy, getting off the poma tow at the top of Trysil, The lifts opened at 9:30, and it was still kind of dark, normal goggles were ok, but clear goggles would be nice for the first half hour, and the last half hour, lifts closed at 3:30...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buss Marius and Jackbombay,
Thanks for the info on where to ski! Coming from Idaho/Utah/BC I certainly have my sights set on some touring in the Loften Islands, but it is great to know that there are some areas right near Oslo! I have been looking at trying to rent a flat near Roa or Holmenkollen so I will be close to some xc tracks for post work skiing.
I will certainly have to come to the meet in Drammen on mondays.

Buss Marius, what would you recommend I do to prep my syncro for Norway?

Cheers, Tyler
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:
I have been looking at trying to rent a flat near Roa or Holmenkollen so I will be close to some xc tracks for post work skiing.

There were people getting on trains in Oslo with xc gear headed out for a ski, so there is xc fairly close to Oslo. I heard there is lighted xc skiing there too.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:
Buss Marius and Jackbombay,
Thanks for the info on where to ski! Coming from Idaho/Utah/BC I certainly have my sights set on some touring in the Loften Islands, but it is great to know that there are some areas right near Oslo! I have been looking at trying to rent a flat near Roa or Holmenkollen so I will be close to some xc tracks for post work skiing.
I will certainly have to come to the meet in Drammen on mondays.

Buss Marius, what would you recommend I do to prep my syncro for Norway?

Cheers, Tyler
Since you will work close to Lillestrøm, you should try to get a flat as close as possible. There are xc tracks absolutely ewerywhere, and if you dont find anny, make them yourself. Notice that in Oslo there is tollroads, so living in Røa you wil have to pay 2x30 Nok every day to get to and from work.
To prep your Syncro for winter, arrive her with worn-out tyres, and by the vinter tyres her.(Or get som steel rims from me, for free) Have 5w-40 engine oil and cooling liquid that can stand minus 30c. But maybe most important, do som ekstra rust protection, for 5monts of salted winter roads.

Marius
Gunldesnapper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just retired from the military, i'm pretty damn sure you wont be paying any taxes to bring a vehicle in. You are not going to be a resident there just deployed there. Take the vehicle that you will have the most fun with.

Now if you do buy a vehicle while overseas you might get hit with a tax if you bring it home, that i'm not sure on. Ask your base legal.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buss Marius,
tusen takk for den info! Jeg tror at jeg skal bor mellom Kjeller og Oslso. Grefsen og Lindeberg ser god ut.

Jeg fant dette; http://www.toll.no/templates_TAD/Article.aspx?id=221954&epslanguage=en

Det blir ikke import skatt av for Sparkles1 Very Happy

Unnskyld, jeg studere norsk bare fire uker. Embarassed

( no import taxes on a foreign registered vehicle in Norway. Normally only up to a year, but if you can prove you won't be there longer you can get it extended a year. In my case this is easy since I have military orders for two years.)

Now back to spraying Sparkles with wax and paint!
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
In Norway, for whatever reason, people don't really ski off the groomers that much, 3 days after a storm we were still slaying knee deep right off the sides of groomers, so rad, the short days and super low angle sun make the snow stay good indefinitely, no sun crust at all!

This is why:

http://friflyt.no/Ski/Naa-er-det-farlig
Avalanches are very unpredictable in Scandinavian mountains. The snow is wet and heavy and behaves differently compared to the Alps or Canadian snow.

With that said, the further north you go the better it will be. Smile
If you really like off pist you should go to Swedish Kittelfjäll. New pow this week and below freezing. Nice and fluffy. Smile

This is just a few weeks ago:
https://vimeo.com/90478136
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow svenakela, those are some sweet conditions! When I think of påske I picture your trip!

I saw that big slide on NRK.no last week... that is a scary big crown. I think they had some temperature swings leading up to that slide? Certainly much different behavior that the types of avalanches in the Intermountain Rockies.

http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/ung-mann-omkom-i-snoskred-1.11651599

Oh no, Christoffer Kleven a 21 year old snowmobiler was recently killed in an avalanche up in the north. Sad
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevertheless, The Alta area is fekkin awesome summer time as well. Go there.

Kittelfjäll is probably sweet at påsk, really awesome mountain with unreal skiing. A lot of heliski, ravines, untouched back sides etc. It's like our little isolated version of the Alps. I'd choose Kittelfjäll over Chamonix, but on the other hand it's actually shorter travel time wise to Cham...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: