Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any problem with leaving ignition on to power stereo?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Any problem with leaving ignition on to power stereo? Reply with quote

Planning on eventually putting in an aux battery and powering accessories from that, but in the meantime, is there any problem with having the key in the on position without the engine running in order to listen to the stereo while hanging out?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your stereo is wired up correctly, shouldn't the AUX position power it without powering up other circuits - eg fuel pump, ignition, lights?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to have the ignition and fuel pump running when just listening to the radio. Check that to be sure. I have mine wired to constant power so the key isn't even required. Some people don't like this becaust they can't remember to turn it off. I suppose I'll worry about that if my memory ever starts to go... Wink
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
If your stereo is wired up correctly, shouldn't the AUX position power it without powering up other circuits - eg fuel pump, ignition, lights?

That's just it, there is no aux or accessory position on my ignition. Its either on or off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
If your stereo is wired up correctly, shouldn't the AUX position power it without powering up other circuits -

If it's wired OEM style you can turn the radio on without even having a key in the ignition. I needed to have my Jetta jumpstarted once after listing to the CD player for a while (and a dome light on) without the car running.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
spitsnrovers wrote:
If your stereo is wired up correctly, shouldn't the AUX position power it without powering up other circuits -

If it's wired OEM style you can turn the radio on without even having a key in the ignition. I needed to have my Jetta jumpstarted once after listing to the CD player for a while (and a dome light on) without the car running.

Mine is wired so that it is only powered when the ignition is on (by the PO.)

Maybe I'll try to wire it up to a "key in" circuit to avoid powering the fuel pump and ignition system while I am just chilling at camp.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
spitsnrovers wrote:

That's just it, there is no aux or accessory position on my ignition. Its either on or off.

Mine either.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the need to look into this area yet myself, but wondered if it is like my Golf. In the Golf, inserting a key actuates the aux circuit.

Hans
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread will explain the how to wire in a relay for the radio. You only need to put the key in the
ignition to power the radio.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...adio+relay
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: key Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
I haven't had the need to look into this area yet myself, but wondered if it is like my Golf. In the Golf, inserting a key actuates the aux circuit.

Hans
Yes X-3 this is how my 87 Syncro works! Just have to put in the key. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
cmvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wire it OEM style some units will drain the battery even if you think it is off. Key in wiring, or separate power switch is the way to go with newer head units.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how it works on the other systems, but on L-jet the fuel pump is not running in the on position unless the engine is running. The AFM has a switch in it that keeps the fuel pump running when air is flowing through it.
brownbus78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO of my van wired the radio so that there's no need for the key at all. I really like it and if I ever go solar or get an aux battery (or both) it's really easy to make it happen. All I do is pop the face plate out when not in use that way I know for sure it's off.
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a simple SPDT switch in my dash. Down position powers the radio and other accessories when the ignition is on, which I use for daily driving. When I flip the switch up, the radio and other "aux" devices stay powered with the ignition off, which I use for camping.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2010: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4358630&highlight=radio#4358630

The mod I really like and use a lot is ...

An Ipod compatible headunit with remote,
+ headunit power automatically switched on/off when the key is in/out of the ignition (irregardless of whether the ignition is turned on or off)
+ a toggle to power the headunit any time.

Ipod headunit/receiver: I'm using the previous gen receiver to the Sony CDX-GT640UI, which has a hidden ipod input wire running from the back of the headunit to an ipod in the glove box. I just keep one of the kids throw-away ipods (busted screen) in the glovebox and navigate via the headunit controls. The headunit keeps the ipod charged and, with the remote, I can control the headunit from the back of the van or upper bunk. I find that I simply _never_ listen to the radio anymore, just a constant, non-commercial, stream of exactly the music I want.

Headunit power when key in ignition: I have been running this setup for a year or so, so I don't remember exactly how I wired the power, but the key is to tap into the grey/black ignition switch wire to either switch the headunit on/off or run a relay for the headunit power. I haven't had any issue with having both the key in and the toggle on at the same time. This thread illustrates the basic wiring approach: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379642.

Headunit on-anytime toggle switch: I hate worrying about losing/locking-in keys, so my keys are either in the ign when I'm in the drivers seat or they are in my pocket, period. The on-anytime toggle switch lets us keep the music on when we pull offroad for a vista or lunch or when sitting in the back without me periodically going thru those "Oh cr*p, where's my keys?" moments.

Next up is adding a toggle to the remote on/off signal from the headunit so I can take the aux amps offline easily.

see also http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4814271&highlight=radio#4814271

and http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/HTML/04/09/01.html
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmvan wrote:
If you wire it OEM style some units will drain the battery even if you think it is off. Key in wiring, or separate power switch is the way to go with newer head units.

We had an issue with the head unit briefly - turned out to be the bluetooth function trying to hook up to the phone 24x7. Not ideal. Removing the front panel was a quick-fix, but since we weren't bothered about bluetooth, a quick once-through the setup options resolved it.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: