Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: 55 SPLITY
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: April 15, 2024
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

I have gone back and forth about whether or not to leave feedback on 55splity, but the whole thing just annoys me so much that I just have to or I will never be at peace.
I bought my 1963 bug from Rory back in July. My previous car was totaled (not my fault) so I had some cash to spend and I really wanted a bug. I had been watching the classifieds for about a year and a half, but when I had the money to spend I could not find much that fit my criteria. I saw the bug Rory had advertised, and it looked pretty good, but I had my heart set on pop-outs or a ragtop and his had neither. But, it was in my budget. So I called him and talked about it. Long story short, he agreed to put pop-outs in it, and leave the 1914cc motor in it, since I wanted something bigger than 1600. I like traveling, and it seemed worth it to me to go out of my way to get a solid car. Rory seemed really nice, so I trusted him. He told me the motor in the car was the most reliable he'd ever had, it ran perfectly.

I made it very clear the car had to have solid floor pans, since I live in Virginia. Not only does it rain a lot, but cheap floor pan replacement is very hard to find. I wanted a daily driver that I would not have to worry about too much. Rory promised me the floors were SUPER SOLID. I have this in a text he sent me. I decided to get the car. He said he would put some newer tires on he back so I could drive it back to Virginia. That was a warning sign, I suppose.

After I drove all the way out to Texas to get the bug, it would not even start. Rory told me he had tried to wash the engine and had flooded it. When he finally got it running and it would not lie without cutting off, he blamed it on "bad gas". Too much ethanol, or something. Like a stupid girl, I believed every excuse. Actually, I just didn't want to drive all the way back to Virginia with nothing. (Although the burgers at Meers were almost worth the trip).

My three main complaints are--
The floor pan on the drivers side has holes in it and is worn verrry thin, like it used to scrape a lot. The other side has a battery tray patch(as he told me), but it is very badly done, not even watertight. Solid, it's not.
He put two different size tires on the back! One was about an inch more OD than the other.
He said it had original aprons front and back, and the front is absolutely not original.

Apart from that, the valves were way off. That is why it would not run correctly, and was running really hot the whole way home. I think it had actually sat, not being driven, for a long time, since all the fuel hoses fell apart a couple weeks later. And it has a bad oil leak from behind the pulley.

Rory sells enough cars on the samba to now what he is doing, and that is why I trusted him. I am not complaining about the crappy paint job, even though it is worse than expected, because he did say it was "driver quality". Or the fact that both the front tires went flat on the way back to Virginia. But when I confronted him about the pans he started blaming me and accusing me of "ruining the engine". Which I did not. It still runs, no thanks to him for not even checking the valves( or telling us to do it) before I drove it 1420 miles.

I am angry with myself for buying the car against my better judgement. But I think Rory could have been more truthful about the bug's condition. It also would have helped if he had apologized. I learned a lot, though.

That is my feedback. I have pictures if you want proof. I don't hate him or anything, just don't like having to spend my time figuring out how to get my pans fixed, and how I am going to pay for it.
Feel free to judge and bash away.
Heather
55 SPLITY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Heather how have you been? I was very truthful about the car to you. The car was driven at least 4-5 times a month and was my car not a flip.
The valves were adjusted and the oil was changed for you before you left.
I put two new tubes in the front 135 tires the day before you got there.
I bent over backwards to help you in every way possible. When you got there I admit the car had a starting problem and was fouling the plugs.
That was my fault for trying to clean the dust and grime.
You looked the car over and was not very happy from the start.
I had texted or emailed you about all aspects of the car.
I even found a spot that had rust that I didn't know about for you.
You knew everything about the car before you left your state.
I did not hide anything from you at all. When you arrived you didn't like it from the start. I even offered to pay you some money for your troubles and I would just keep it. I'm not a bad guy or tried to take advantage because your a female. I explained to you that a Vw with that motor isn't something to drive across the country without precautions. You then drove the car 22 hours in a row to get it home. No one in there right mind would do that in our Vw community. I will say that I am sorry about your feelings and wish things would have gone better. I did give you every chance to not buy this car but you were very firm on buying and driving across the country. I think you were expecting a show car on a driver budget. I will still help you with anything you need still. You are a very hard person to read or make happy I feel. I tried to talk with you about it but you were very hard to communicate with. I still have all our texts between us also. I would like to say again to you that I'm sorry it didn't work out better between us. I'm not mad at you for the post about me it's the way you feel. You have my number if you need to call.
Thanks Rory
55 SPLITY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a post on the car.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rory, I don't hate you. I am glad the bug made it all the way home. I was not expecting a show car by any means, just a solid daily driver. We did make it home, and it is my daily, so it's all good. But do look a little harder for rust next time Wink
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you are so right. I could have driven all the way home with nothing to show for it. But I didn't want to. I learned a lot, anyway! Very Happy
Kalapaki Papa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Rory bought a set of orig Fuchs wheels from me. Very easy transaction. Great buyer! Highly recommended!
Aloha & mahalo!
61 L380 sedan
62 SO33 L380
63 standard micro
63 cabrio
64 KG coupe
64 sedan
66 sedan
67 beetle
70 empi GTV
70 VWOA Formula Vee
73 Economotors super beetle
74 GSR / German look rally tribute super beetle
76 cabrio
& a bunch of non-vw rolling stock parked in and around the barn. Just can’t help myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: spring plate set for the 58 Reply with quote

Rory is a great buyer. Very easy to deal with, quick responses, good communication, and a prompt payment. Thanks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rory is a straight up, easy to deal with seller. Easy to communicate with and part was as described. If he has something that interest ya, give him a call. A+
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in October I did a straight a cross trade for this numbers matching 63 with Rory. I drove to Texas with my trade on a trailer. I woke him up at 5 am on a Saturday morning when I arrived. The car was exactly as he said. He's a really good guy. We talked a while, looked over each others trades and I was on my way. Once home I popped on a carb and correct distributor (do to a fire) and it fired right up and I have been driving it everyday since. Here are some pix after a quick was and hand buff. I will definitely do business with Rory again. Thanks again for the awsome car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
h-deuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great seller. fast on shipping. thanks for the taillights.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great buyer, inquired of some parts and a shipping quote, got it, paid pronto. Thanks for the easy sell.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had another smooth transaction with Rory.
Some trade, some cash. We were both happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rory spotted a part I had listed for sale, he inquired.. and made the purchase without hesitation or any B.S.
Great Buyer.. need more round here like that ^^
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Great buyer - Rory drove all the way down to Houston to pick up a rebuilt 36 horse engine I had for sale. We easily negotiated a price over the phone, he came to Houston when he said he would, brought the right amount of cash and we had a deal. Easy buyer to work with and a super nice guy.
ESQ747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Just bought a car from Rory. Before the purchase, I asked questions and he answered them. He included photos and a video in support of his answers. We negotiated a fair price. No surprises, and no BS. We were both better off than before the deal.
Krennen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

I don't know where to start other than Rory is one hell of a stand up guy!

I went to his place twice, I was late both times due to my own poor planning, Rory was laid back and wasn't upset by the fact that I was late. He was happy to show me around, let me look at his treasures as well as what what he had for sale and even educate me on VW's.

The second trip I was late again, Rory was his typical self and just as friendly as the first time. He and friend helped me load, as well as strap down both of the beetles I was taking home with me. I had blown a tire on my trailer on the way to house, he even went as far as trying to find me a tire/wheel to use to get me home in his personal stuff. He insisted that I let him know I made it to a tire store to get a replacement tire when we couldn't find a wheel to fit.

You aren't going to find a friendlier and nicer person than Rory and his family/friends.
krautclassicparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Rory purchased a pair of zwitter headlights and it was a pleasure doing this international business with him!Highly recommended!
Thank you again!
Cheers,
Thorsten from krautclassicparts Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/Krautclassicparts-366680363446553/?fref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
passoa55 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Was a pleasure to work with Rory.
Correct in every way.
Thanks again and maybe for a next time. Wink
1950 Hebmuller #458
1955 lowlight lizard green
1955 original paint oval
1956 1600 super V-sunroof Porsche
1958 lowlight ghia black
1963 firetruckred 23 window
1967 SO42 westy
1969 original paint Westy
1970 one owner 1300L bug
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Rory bought some parts from me, great transaction. Thanks again.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
vwvw398048
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 splity - [email protected] - Rory Booth Reply with quote

Just want to let everyone know what a stand up guy Rory is. Bought a pair of fenders from him to be shipped to New Hampshire . agreed they would be sent Greyhound bus for $100 shipping. When he drove 80 miles to the Greyhound terminal it had been shut down ( the virus for sure ). He then went to Fastenal and got a price of $299 to ship. He finally had a pack and ship place send them by UPS right to my door. Never once did he complain or ask for more money. Just had to let everyone know. Mike B.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: