Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

I didn't want to hijack the thread but I will elaborate.
In the FaceBook pictures of the Ghia you are working on, the bottom plate that runs on the underside of the tunnel spine is cut away. A reference is made to it being a removable piece and it looks like you are installing a fuel pump inside the tunnel cavity. That is the piece I am referring to. I had to cut holes in my tunnel to brace the clutch tube and run some 3/8" fuel lines for a Subaru engine installation. A removable plate on the underside of the tunnel makes life 100% more enjoyable. I had thought about doing something similar but a ready made panel would be welcome.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

danny gabbard wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Sorry if this is a hijack but I see a pretty big market for you if you reproduce the nose ridge only, maybe a inch or to on either side? I know I'd buy 2
On my list of things to make .

Awesome! I think you could retire on this piece alone Very Happy
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny gabbard wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[img]
Never fails ! Had the shell in booth and ready to paint!! Then thought what the hell, Lets cut the heater vents out !! Here is a few shots doing just that.

Wow I just love the way this turned out, like it came that way, amazing work.

I would really love to do this to my 66', because i already have the heater vents removed . But i have never formed such a complex panel.

I lack the advanced tools (english wheel, shrinker/stretcher etc), so this would be a hand tool, hammer form type of thing.....

You don't happen to have an extra set of these just laying around? Ha kidding Very Happy

Guess there's no harm trying to make it. If i couldn't make it, i could skip it haha

Thanks for the inspiration

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

Completely done with hammer and dolly .
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

danny gabbard wrote:
Completely done with hammer and dolly .

Well this is super promising!

I think that you could make that with your eyes closed, with sticks & stones for tools though haha! Me not so much.....

I am going to give it a go. I’ve never learned anything without trying

Thanks Danny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to give it a go. I’ve never learned anything without trying

I'll get you started.

He problably started with an L angle and then shrank/bent the top.Next the bottom stretched/bent ;done at the same time and lastly the bulge.
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

Yes and good call ! Your constantlly moving around from edge to edge and shape's . Do not try and make anything final until everything is real close . Really hard to describe metal shaping on a key board ! But the more ya hit a piece ! The closer it to becoming a part ! LOL .
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

I cannot thank you both enough for taking the time to post that info! This gives me a great starting point, and I really appreciate it.

I am going to do a bunch of practice attempts, see what happens!

I know I will have many metal shaping FAILS haha. But I really look forward to learning this.

Dan
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

Just a bump
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4122309260515&type=3 My 67 Cal-Look car
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201232871768311&type=3 Marks 1962 Cal-Look project
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10212756277846261&type=3 1957 vert I did a bunch of repairs too .
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10212832806199422&type=3 A 1958 Low Light vert I am working on
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10222757122261121&type=3 Custom decklid I did
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10212810648645497&type=3 Cal-Look project I did some fab work on .
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

You are a total artist and craftsman. Outstanding
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

Thank you very much !!!
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

you should look into making repro steel 67 rear aprons to sell
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Metal shape'n and fabrication going on at GAB-FAB Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
you should look into making repro steel 67 rear aprons to sell

I need one!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: