Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which speakers do you have in your doors?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNW Westy Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the cleaner installs IMO.

This is from Brent Weide's site.

"These are the new 6 1/2 inch JL Audio component speakers after installation.
To install, I removed the door panels, marked and enlarged the speaker install holes, and secured the new speakers in place."

Wish I had done this instead of cutting a large hole for the woofer down at the bottom of door.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
djkeev wrote:
I'm running 1986 Stock! Crying or Very sad

Dave

I'm going back to stock! Just found a pair at a local boneyard and got 'em to replace the aftermarket ones installed by the PO. Tired of the grilles falling off or scraping my knuckles when rolling the window down or up.

Dude, looks like you could use a window crank I passed up on that van.

mk2 golf/jetta window cranks fit perfectly and IMO are nicer than the stock vangon crank handles. I think I installed two rear cranks from a jetta and I believe they are shorter than the vanagon ones. I have no issues with an aftermarket speaker and rolling the window up or down.

And as a bonus for me, today I took the 4" pioneers I removed from the van and used them to replace some old 80's speakers in one of our tractors on the farm and it was a huge improvement. They totally sucked in the van but aren't too bad in an old Ford tractor Cool
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my stock one was working, I'd have left it be! In fact, if the stock stereo w/ tape deck and been working, I'd probably have left that be too! Mostly I just listen to the radio anyway...I kind of wanted the hands free *thing* though for my phone. Given a new stereo w/ that feature is cheaper than a fine for using your phone in the car, figured it was a reasonable upgrade request for my birthday! LOL
djkeev wrote:
I'm running 1986 Stock! Crying or Very sad

Dave

Thank you again to everyone for the so very specific suggestions, especially the links and pictures! And, pointing out that I wouldn't be able to open my crank window w/ out an extender/change! What a *dumb* design, got to wonder what they were thinking! LOL

LOVE the cheaper options w/ the sites other than the obvious BestBuy. Here, its BestBuy or FutureShop, owned by BB anyway! LOL

Wouldn't mind going 4-5" in the front and 5-6" in the back, if they fit in the same spot. Can't deal w/ holes w/ nothing in them. Makes my Vanagon sad. LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

droppedsyncro wrote:
those hold 6x9s in a well known westy named........

DOMO!!

They are doing well, and looking well my friend!
I like showing them off, and they always get good comments. Very original, and very well made!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity seperates. I found the square grills at the bone yard out of a conversion van. Not as blingy as the Infinity ones....

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Infinity seperates. I found the square grills at the bone yard out of a conversion van. Not as blingy as the Infinity ones....

That is a trippy panel/covering, how do you find the handles Wink
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM, 4x6 in the rear AC cabinet. There is lots of depth there but 4x6 is a tight fit on the width side. To be honest though adding mid- bass drivers to your front door would give better thump for your buck...and they're pretty easy to install. The door is a great bass chamber if acoustically treated to dampen it. Any base generated by 4x6 speakers in the rear will mostly be lost at highway speeds. My goal was to listen to Boticelli at 100km/h with a window open and still enjoy it without massive distortion..ha. Seems it took 850 watts and 7 speakers.

SCM wrote:
denwood wrote:

Upgraging the rear speakers helped a lot..with enclosures built into the AC cabinet to tighten them up:

Lastly, the sub. ]

Hey Den, what size are those speakers that you put in the rear? I have 4" Polks all around and while they sound ok I would love to get a little more bass without the hassle and aux battery drain that a sub would introduce.

I just haven't gotten around to measure to what will fit the cabinet. Is there anything that limits to the depth of what speakers will fit?

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

If you don't have air conditioning, there is a cabinet there. A 4x6 would be too big, right? Then, you'd need a 5x5 maybe?
denwood wrote:
SCM, 4x6 in the rear AC cabinet. There is lots of depth there but 4x6 is a tight fit on the width side. To be honest though adding mid- bass drivers to your front door would give better thump for your buck...and they're pretty easy to install. The door is a great bass chamber if acoustically treated to dampen it. Any base generated by 4x6 speakers in the rear will mostly be lost at highway speeds. My goal was to listen to Boticelli at 100km/h with a window open and still enjoy it without massive distortion..ha. Seems it took 850 watts and 7 speakers.

tam

Making it special:
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always make custom kick panels for them -this option sounds the best. Installed it in 3 wety's so far.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443858.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front - Rockford Fosgate 4" in stock location. RF in door on lower portion. Have matching tweeters going in dash corners next time it's removed. I modified stock grilles to work over the 4" speaker and keep some semblance of original look.

Rear - Rockford Fosgate 6x9's in seat base. RF 5.25's in upper cabinet. Both run off an Alpine amp under drivers seat.

Contemplating a sub of some sort, just haven't found a solution I liked yet.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfinwesty wrote:
You could always make custom kick panels for them -this option sounds the best. Installed it in 3 wety's so far.

Nope. I'd stomp it flat in no time...
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that wouldn't last. I have kids. What's that!? Finger right through it!

tam
Domo wrote:
surfinwesty wrote:

Nope. I'd stomp it flat in no time...

Making it special:
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Focals
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gentleman at FutureShop (like BestBuy) suggested these Kenwood KFC-1054S and thought they'd fit. They don't have anything in their store that will fit and I don't want to order something that then doesn't fit and has to be returned b/c then I have to drive back to the US to do it. Which is fine, BUT it has to be done in their little time frame, which is annoying! Wink

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43774_Kenwood-KFC-1054S.html

Happy to spend up to $100, don't want to spend more than that. Want speakers for front and back.

Opinions please!? Better ones w/ links so I can order them instead, please! Confused

Thank you! Very Happy

tam

Making it special:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
The gentleman at FutureShop (like BestBuy) suggested these Kenwood KFC-1054S and thought they'd fit. They don't have anything in their store that will fit and I don't want to order something that then doesn't fit and has to be returned b/c then I have to drive back to the US to do it. Which is fine, BUT it has to be done in their little time frame, which is annoying! Wink

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43774_Kenwood-KFC-1054S.html

Happy to spend up to $100, don't want to spend more than that. Want speakers for front and back.

Opinions please!? Better ones w/ links so I can order them instead, please! Confused

Thank you! Very Happy

tam

Tam, if you have manual windows the handle is very close to the door card and many speaker 'covers' like these sit too far out and will interfere with winding the window up or down. If you have electric windows then...... never mind..... Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!

Yes, I have manual windows and want the speaker in the stock location. I thought there was that *thing* you could get to move the window winder handle out more?

tam
dobryan wrote:

Tam, if you have manual windows the handle is very close to the door card and many speaker 'covers' like these sit too far out and will interfere with winding the window up or down. If you have electric windows then...... never mind..... Smile

This:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1664_1090/window_crank_extension_pair.html
Will it solve that if it's a problem, or is there a better option. My preference is not add nothing and save the $26...idiot location for a speaker!

Making it special:
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of tweaking and upgrading, I've finally got a pretty decent system in my bus:

In the stock 4" location, I've got some nice dedicated mids hiding behind the stock grilles that I cut off the originals. Got them from partsexpress.com (awesome source for diy stereo stuff), they're bamboo fiber coned and weren't labelled for auto use, but I don't heed warnings. They sound good, not much bass but they don't need it. They're powered off the HU and bandpassed with passive filters to just cover the midrange.

To fill in the low and high ends, I got a set of 6.5 kenwood components. They're powered by a 4 channel amp under the bench seat. I made some baffles out of some thick plywood- helps a lot with the bass response and rattles, spaces the speaker out for more door cavity clearance, and I had to cover a nasty hole where I used to have some 5x7's. While the bus was stripped down for paint a few years back, I FatMatted most of the doors and panels, and have some sound deadening on the back of the front door cards to keep the rattles down.

The tweeter just hangs out tucked in the corner. Double stick tape. Was going to try to get fancy with mounting but it's pretty low profile and doesn't stick out too bad. This placement gives a nice cloud of treble to the cabin Wink .

Some cheap ass old 6x9's that just won't die for rear fill. I've got them hooked to the 4 channel amp under the seat and wired for a Hafler effect (old school 70's surround trick that cancels the center information, leaving the hard L R pans). I've got them hi passed around 120 and have them just loud enough to 'complete the picture.' I used to love loud bassy rear fill, but once you get a nice setup in front, you never go back. And for the record, speakers can be spray bombed Very Happy .

And for the icing on the cake, my custom butt rumbler. I made a tetris-shaped MDF box that fills every inch of the spare battery compartment. It houses a slimline 10" sub, and is powered by this little 2 channel guy. It BARELY fits. There is literally no room to spare, i even had to cut part of the surround and bash the underside of the seat metal up a bit Twisted Evil to keep things from rubbing or muffling. And unfortunately, this only works on non-swivel seats. It works well though. Depending on the music it can max out a bit at highway volume, but is definitely loud enough to keep up with the system and promote chronic hearing damage Laughing Best part is it's totally out of the way.

This is all running off a decent sony head unit with good EQ and imaging options. I used to be big into sound engineering, and am a budget-minded audiophile. I wanted a system that sounded killer, but didn't sacrifice the functionality or storage of the bus, and didn't look too shiny to all the Nor Cal tweekers lol. I'll never quit fussing with it, but I'm pretty happy for now.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best mounting I've seen yet - now angle the tweets in a bit

some one should fab up a tweeter mount that molds to the corner at the base of the A pillar and sell them
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look nice! Thank you!! Smile Do you have a link for the specific speaker you used for the stock location? Do you think it'd sound as good as (or better) than the originals did? I only have one front speaker, so anything is better than that! LOL

tam
madmax25 wrote:
After years of tweaking and upgrading, I've finally got a pretty decent system in my bus:

Making it special:
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpine SPS 6.5" up front with Vanagon factory grills. Window cranks become a non-issue. Alpine Type R 6x9" in rear under seat and SPS 4" in the AC cabinet. Works for me Very Happy

How they got there:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465055&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: