Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got Keys?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Got Keys? Reply with quote

I lost my last original key with the black plastic with vw logo while back. I had some generic keys made to replace the og ones. I just don't like the feel of the generic skinny all metal keys. Well I've been wanting to buy the og blanks but for while but only place I could find one was at EBAY for $50 bucks WT heck Shocked

Well good news Gowesty has them for $10. Taylor at Gowesty said they got about 100 in and that might be the last before its NLA.

So if you want that OG key Gowesty has them, get them while it last.

I'm gonna order couple of them.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3243&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Smile
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
b00t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do now...Just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!
danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got two on the way so both vans are covered. Thanks for the hot tip.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome,

I remember losing the original key and being really bummed about it. I wanted to replace it with the oem but $50 I said no way, I'm not paying that much. I just know the thin metal generic ones kind of hurt your fingers when you turn your ignition.

Once again Gowesty scored some last of the NLA parts from VW. Grab them while they last. I also got the their sliding door bearings. They sell three of the five bearings. I replaced the three and other two I just re-packed it with grease. My sliding door is smooth as silk now. Thanks Gowesty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to lubricate the lock if the generic ones hurt your fingers when you're starting the engine. Just sayin'...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought them from VC in the past, I have a few.
The one issue with them is that they aren't easily cut. You have to find a real locksmith willing to cut steel keys and one that still has the skills to cut one by code if you want it done correctly. I spent more on getting some cut by code than the blanks cost.

On my keychain I have the round rubber key for my truck along with the oval steel VW key for my hardtop syncro along with an ILCO copy cat key for the 2wd.
The round rubber version takes up more pocket space but is easiest to find, having more than one round rubber key on a keychain is no fun. None of my keys are easier or harder to use in the ignition though.

http://www.steveslockshop.com/volkswagen.html has been recommended by people in the past to cut keys by code in the past- I have never used him though.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup

It cost me $20 to cut mine about 4 years ago. I got mine from VC. Corner of University Ave and San Pablo in Berkeley.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to find a place that had both the equipment to cut a key from the code and the will to cut the steel factory blank.

So I got the locksmith to make a key by the code using their blanks, and then got it copied onto the factory blank in a no-name hardware store that had a careful clerk.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless something has changed, I thought you could order cut keys from your VW Stealer?

I sort of recall they had to be a special order from a Texas warehouse.

Or was that for Mercedes?

The lock guy I see yearly at the VW Classic has ZERO problems cutting steel keys and creating keys to code.

In fact, this year I will bring him a set of handles and new keys to create a nice fresh set of locks that work as new, even though they are worn. They know how to do it.

FYI: Your van came with two sets of keys. So those that whine they lost the original key have to realize some one else already lost the first one for them and now the last one is lost too. I also wonder where all the glove box keys disappear to?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
optiks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up i was going to order the 50 dollar ebay one like you mention as the tiny lame generic key really pisses me off

on the topic of keys are all gas cap keys the same ? only ever tried mine in one other van and it worked.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse me if this is a dumb question but where is the key code located?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
excuse me if this is a dumb question but where is the key code located?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5871618#5871618

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $2 you can get a key cover if it hurts your hands. Wink
whynotvw wrote:
I just know the thin metal generic ones kind of hurt your fingers when you turn your ignition.

Careful at the dealerships, mine cut me 4 keys (on similar looking ones w/ a hard plastic top) that could open the door, but none would turn the ignition. I thought it was b/c the tumblers were worn and it didn't fit. Turned out, it was the wrong blank and when I finally went to a locksmith (as suggested here thank you again!), the locksmith noticed the mistake right away, snickered and cut me a key that worked no problem. Went back same place, different person, handed original key over asked for another. Another key was cut no problem. Then, in the mail I got the 2nd original key for PO and the little silver water key.
r39o wrote:
Unless something has changed, I thought you could order cut keys from your VW Stealer?
FYI: Your van came with two sets of keys. So those that whine they lost the original key have to realize some one else already lost the first one for them and now the last one is lost too. I also wonder where all the glove box keys disappear to?

I also wonder what happened to my glove box key. Neither the ignition key, nor little silver water key fit it. I looked at it and didn't see how to take it off/apart. Figured I'd take the van to the locksmith on day and let him figure it out. However, then processed that if you lock it, someone is going to break it to find what you locked in it. Then, you're going to have to pay to fix it, IF you can find the parts. So, concluded that I may as well leave it alone and find a better hiding spot!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

I also wonder what happened to my glove box key. Neither the ignition key, nor little silver water key fit it. I looked at it and didn't see how to take it off/apart. \tam

Tam you need to upgrade! I have more horse power and better gas milage since I put in the Porsche
glove box latch! Just Kidding!

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PO provided me with the original keys from 1986. With only 116,000 they aren't badly worn.

I'm peculiar for I do NOT like a fat bulky key chain, I shoot for sleek and thin. I shun those giant find your car key FOB things newer cars have!

I prefer the aftermarket flat key for its sleekness on my key ring. I'll keep the originals as my backups and pass them along to owner #4 at some point in the future.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I shun those giant find-your-car-key FOB things ...I prefer the aftermarket flat key for its sleekness on my key ring...keep the originals as my backups and pass them along to owner #4 ...

This.

We use new copies for driving and the best "original" from the PO stays in my wallet for emergencies & reduce further wear.

It may also be a copy(*) but it's on an "official" VW blank:

(*) Any opnions on this? Would the original key(s) have been like the rubber-coated one shown at the top of this thread? Just curious...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM valet key would not have opened the glovebox
the oem rubber key would work on all locks.

I bought a key machine off craiglist for $75 years back and cut my own keys..
handy for our family fleet of vans and vintage VWs.

I like the VW rubberheaded keys, but I also order cheaper rubber headed keys from MrLock.com usually 10 at a time for the slight discount.. shipping is fast and reasonable. also quick to answer email questions.

http://www.mrlock.com/VONP.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
OEM valet key would not have opened the glovebox
the oem rubber key would work on all locks.

Which is the valet key? Or was that an all metal different looking one? I now have both my original (assume) rubber keys, could one open it and the other not? Will have to try that. Tried one key in the glove box and it didn't work, so assumed the other would not either and the van came with a 3rd key.

Then I have a water key that is a little metal silver key, that i don't think is original, tried that one too. Didn't do anything except the water, prefer ONE key to do everything, will go see a locksmith again and see if he can do that.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tam, I hate to just point you to your Owners manual... and if you don't have one there's one from an 85 scanned up here on thesamba in the Technical section in the link bar at the top of each page.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1985vanagon.php
but for this thread I'll include the page for context..

Hmmm but looking at the pic I don't think it'll run the Ign or doors, just the glove box..
must be my later model VWs that incorporated a "valet" function.. (iirc anyways)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: