Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a source of L43 Grey-Black paint (no spraycans!)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Looking for a source of L43 Grey-Black paint (no spraycans!) Reply with quote

I understand the metal top of my dash ('76 Type 2) is supposed to be painted L43 grey black. That is a Glasurit color code. I don't want to repaint it with soft spraycan paint, I want to do it in a nice hardened automotive paint. Have tried and tried to find a source for this specific code of paint only to reach nothing but dead ends.

Has anyone found a source for this *specific code* of Glasurit paint, or had success with matching/crossing this color or color code to another brand?

Please, no advice on why I should just paint it another color unless this code L43 is somehow wrong for this application. Just trying to do a good job here and could really use help from someone else that's gone down this path.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any competent auto paint store can mix it. i can waltz right in with that code and have it tomorrow from providence lacquer or werner sullivan

you will not (easily) find it over the internet if that's what you are hoping for

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near the largest city in Minnesota. PPG is the brand sold almost exclusively here. I have visited one store and spoke at length with two others. Doesn't sound like very many? There are actually very few body shop supply stores here, which is kind of amazing. Neither were able to locate this code in any book, despite some effort. I did this with the Glasurit formula in hand. Made no difference.

I then contacted BASF for the name of a Glasurit dealer. Only one was found, nearly an hour away. I called and spoke with them. They couldn't locate that code in a single stage (Glasurit 22) or cross it to anything.

Then, I contacted a very helpful online distributor. They located the code, told me they could get the paint, and gave me a price. When I called back a day or two later to order, I happened to ask a question about the formula as I was curious as to whether it contained a fine metallic or not. They looked it up and discovered they could only get 4 of the 5 ingredients in the formula.

I wouldn't say my experience would in any way suggest "any competent auto paint store can mix it" when it comes to this locale. I am not dumb when it comes to paint. I've just never had the kind of runaround I've run into with this specific situation.

I don't care where it comes from. I just want a pint/quart of L43 single stage paint and don't care whether its Glasurit or an accurate cross to another mfgr either.

It's great that you can get it so easily. Perhaps you can give me more details on your supplier so I can just order it from them? Are you buying this as a Glasurit paint or crossing it to another mfgr? Single stage?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the place i use was a dupont dealer, and just switched to akzo nobel. i have never had an issue when they were dupont or akzo with them finding a code.

the other option you could do is remove the dash top and see if they can scan your paint. most good paint shops will have a scanner that they can use to color match.

honestly, i am a zit on the ass of providence lacquer. i might do a couple thousand a year with them. i bring them coffee and donuts and am really nice to them. in turn, they gave me my own account, a good discount and go above and beyond to help.

give the scanner route a try

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, going to need more help, folks.

I need the name/location of a place known to carry this paint OR a cross to another brand/chemistry that is known to match.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry you are not getting the help you want. guess i'll spoon feed you some ideas

call another paint shop. if you are dealing with a place that cannot computer scan a color, run.

call a shop, tell them what you are looking for, offer to pay them for the time to give you the info over the phone.

or

buy a bunch of spray cans, evacuate the propellant puncture the can and pour it into your spay gun. i have done this once with great results.

here you go Rolling Eyes

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php

type in your code, follow the promt and like magic, a color code apears with the formula

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills,

Spoon-feed? Just what is wrong with you?

I had the audacity to ask the forum community where to find this L43 grey-black paint. Yeah, really put you out didn't I? You post how easy it is to find, why I should be able to just go anywhere to get it. I explain the trouble I've had after checking many legitimate sources, then ask for more specifics about where I might find it.

For that you try to belittle me? Seriously, what's wrong with you that you felt it necessary to respond that way?

Why would you post a link to the glasurit site to provide me with a formula? Did you not read that I said I had the formula on hand? I just can't find someone that can mix it.

I didn't ask how to match my dash. I didn't ask for anyone to do anything unusual for me or spoonfeed anything to me. I didn't ask how I could possibly use spray can paint in a paint gun. I asked only if anyone knew where I could find this paint. You don't know. That's fine. Why would I care that you don't know?

Seriously, you can bite my shiny metal ass.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...seeing that i am the only guy that came up with some possible solutions for you i guess you can say all we have is each other Evil or Very Mad

dude....CALL ANOTHER PAINT SHOP......EXPLAIN TO THEM WHAT YOU NEED. OFFER TO PAY THEM FOR THE TIME THEY SPEND WITH YOU>

something tells me that if the shop you are using dosen't want to help you....there must be a problem. perhaps with you? i dunno...

SEE IF ANOTHER SHOP CAN SCAN THE COLOR

Honestly...I am trying to help. I know some of the older factory books break down the formula as well

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe you went to great lengths. On vacation, on the other side of the country, on an iPad near a swimming pool, I found a BASF distributer north of you in Circle Pines. They sell Glasurite. Try calling them, they may be able to hook you up with someone closer to you. 651-784-1966.

Go easy on 'em....

Last edited by panicman on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think too many of the five usual members at this forum site get tired of the same old questions. I've quit posting much here anymore, just surface now and again when the question is new, easy or just right. I sprayed some dove gray hubcaps tonight. Where did I get the dove gray mix formula for DuPont base? Who cares where, I just eye balled the myriad pics on the samba and made up my own version.

Your dash is just flat black. Get some single stage urethane and some gloss reducer to add to it. Then paint it, put it together and go camping. Old VWs aren't worth the effort and fighting about it is stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just flabbergasted by the kind of responses I've received here. Where is the hostility coming from? Just what the hell do you believe I'm asking you all for?

All I did was ask for a source where I might buy a specific code of Glasurit paint. Nothing more.

I explained specifically what I'd tried and how I'd had no luck. I didn't ask someone to run around looking for this paint for me. I didn't ask someone to color-match this code for me, just asked too if someone had crossed it to another manufacturer's paint. Somehow this question was offensive or asking too much? WOW. Seriously?

The same old questions? I spent considerable time searching this and the bay window forum to see if I could find a good source for Glasurit paint. I'm sorry, but I had no luck and it wasn't 10 minutes I spent looking it was actually a few hours over several days.

Yes, I located a place in Circle Pines that sells Glasurite. Remember my earlier post where I said I'd found a place nearly an hour away? That was the place. I gave them two codes, one for this grey-black and the other was a silver. I was told they could mix the silver, not the grey-black. I didn't make this up, that's what I was told. They are according to BASF, the only Glasurit dealer in the Minneapolis area.

Since first posting I went back to this dealer and pressed them again as to why it was a problem mixing this grey-black up in Glasurit 22. I explained again that I had a formula sitting in front of me, just needed someone with access to the toners. This time they asked me to e-mail the formula and I did just that along with a link to the BASF/Glasurit website that the formula came from. Result: turns out they are able to mix it after all. Why the change? I have no damn idea, as I gave them all the details the first time I called.

So, give me a break. I'm no dumb-ass when it comes to restoration. My only crime is living in Minnesota, the land of PPG paint and having not bought Glasurit paint before. I tried every channel I knew of, hit dead ends, and asked if anyone knew a good place to find it. Instead I got derision.

One last thing. The dash on a bay window bus isn't painted flat black, it's a satin sheen and is a very dark grey. I don't give a damn if others here want to paint theirs any shade of the rainbow. It's your bus, do whatever you want. By the same token, it's not wrong to want to put it back to the way the factory made it either. I sure as hell didn't start my thread to pick a fight about what was the right color.

Twisted Evil

I'm going to ask the moderator to lock or delete this thread. What a disappointment this experience has been.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, locked.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: