Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric Windshield Washer Using Stock Wiper Stalk?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Electric Windshield Washer Using Stock Wiper Stalk? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a way to install an electric windshield washer on a '78 bus, while still retaining the stock wipe/wash stalk to actuate the washer?

I know that I could buy a generic electric windshield washer and install a separate washer button on the dash or something to actuate it (and I will if that is the *only* choice) but I'd love to keep my excellent original bus looking original.

Is there some way of fitting a microswitch in place of the original pneumatic coupling on the stalk, or perhaps swapping in a part from a newer VW? I remember that on 914s you could upgrade to an electric washer by swapping in a 924 wiper/washer stalk. Is there anything similar for the bus? Anybody done this before? All past references I could find just mentioned the separate button on the dash, nothing using the OE wipe/wash stalk.

Any info greatly appreciated. (I also posted this question on the type2 list, so if you are reading this twice I apologize, but I know there are lots of experienced folks not on both lists.)

Thanks!
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an idea. It is only an idea. Had it been a fact, you would have been notified. My '73 Bus has a three position switch for the wipers. From forward to backward it has fast, low, single wipe, and off. I use the single wipe position for my off because it is there that it is exactly lined-up with the turn indicator stalk. Why not wire up the switch to juice your washer pump in the lower "off" position. I would use the switch only to energize a relay to keep amperage draw to a minimum through the switch.
Colin Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told that on a Superbeetle, there is both the pneumatic and the electtrical connections. Maybe it is so on your bus?

Check it out!
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Windshield Washer Using Stock Wiper Stalk? Reply with quote

Bob D. wrote:
Is there some way of fitting a microswitch in place of the original pneumatic coupling on the stalk

I haven't done this yet but I'll attempt it when it's turn comes on my project list.

The valve has a little hole in the top and a plastic pin levers down to open the valve. There's enough space in the wiper switch to mount a microswitch where the pin currently goes to active an electric motor when you pull up on lever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about doing that myself, when I put in an electric pump. It's definitely doable, but I didn't have the time available to do a good job of it, so I went with a push button in the dash. All it will take is time and patience to get something tiny into the space available. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it on my old 70 and my 69 but those swithes are quite different than a 78.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to my mechanic, and it turns out he has done this OE stalk/electric washer modification several times before on 914 Porsches using a microswitch from Radio Shack. He is confident that he can use the same part and technique on my bus.

I will post part numbers and other info when I get them from him next week. I personally feel this will be a great "real world" upgrade for my bus, while still preserving absolutely original appearance.

As always, thanks to everybody for the great suggestions and leads. I have gained so much knowledge from this group; it will be a pleasure to return the favor, even on something little like this. Wink
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every little bit helps. You quickly discover here that all those great ideas you have about some mod to your van has been thought out and usually done by somebody before who can shed some insight into how it will go. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

Just a side question while you are in there looking inside the steering wheel. Do your self cancelling turn signals actually self cancel?

Mine don't.

How big of a deal is it to make them work while you are in there getting real w. washers? I need to do that also, since my washers and self cancelling TS are technically "not working". One of those, "while you are in there..." things.

It should be winter just about any day now, eh? I have my POR-15 stuff and will be getting ready to "do the deed" very shortly. I will put some photos someplace.

Stay warm and a tough Cubs loss. We are just more used to our Red Sox losing than you are. They had a hell of a team in 1918 you know.

Randy (who thinks he would look really sporty driving a yellow 75 914 2.0 liter)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your turn signals aren't self cancelling you probably need a new switch to fix it. The large plastic tab that sticks out from bottom of the steering wheel and trips 2 small plastic switches in the turn signal switch. These are small plastic pieces and often break when they are old. Because of the size of these parts and the construction of the switch I don't think trying to repair it would be a worthwhile project.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other post, Randy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already saw it. I think I posed the question before I read the forum.

I am hoping to fix it today after work.

I am not even a junior member at Pelican.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: